Bob's Famous Big Boy--As Seen On TV/YouTube TD

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Sako
Bob's Big Boy restaurants started in 1936 in my hometown of Glendale, CA. I grew up in Glendale, graduated from Glendale High, etc etc. The video below will gives a quick history rundown on Bob's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rvpiDxOmsE&t=40s

Original and non-original locations in Glendale are long gone but the Burbank (neighboring city) location, which is one of the oldest, still thrives. Car shows every Friday night and you get celebrities still coming through because of the close proximity to the studios from Universal City to Hollywood. Jay Leno is pretty much a regular.

A fun fact. They film at the location a lot and "Heat" was also filmed there. Naturally one of my favorite movies of all time.

val-kilmer-robert-deniro-bobs-big-boy.jpg

Now, almost every time I eat at Bob's, I always get the Famous Big Boy Burger. You have the option of either original or super. Super is bigger patties and twice the cheese.

Super is what's on tap for the TD so we start with a NY strip loin roast

Lq3dnSMh.jpg

First grind

ZSi2ZeVh.jpg

Second grind

zS45jUZh.jpg

Formed the patties

lHwXBp1h.jpg

Made the red relish that is a key ingredient for this burger

7lQcl2Yh.jpg

Took a little playing around with but turned out perfect :clap2:

T7wncAQh.jpg

I don't think they do but I chose to toast the buns. Original Big Boy Burger had a sesame, bottom, club and top so I went the same route

0bFGUy3h.jpg

C0JkWUYh.jpg

Mayo on the bottom and the club bun

Bra7NGNh.jpg

Next the patties went on the BS retro griddle

I03Q3Qoh.jpg

I bet they don't use fine ingredients like this at the restaurant though but this is my burger :thumb:

EqGetePh.jpg

Time to assemble the burger so we start with the bottom bun mayo-ed plus lettuce

nnqGQrih.jpg

American cheese

V63JEV3h.jpg

First patty

GCsc7KXh.jpg

Club bun with layer of mayo

k9nIyIih.jpg

Another slice of American cheese

zwPDB9Jh.jpg

Second patty

9l216Jnh.jpg

Red relish

DEdhtQCh.jpg

Top bun, fries, and some Jim Beam. :clap2::clap2: I love me some top, top, top shelf liquor but sometimes you just can't beat going back to basics.

Cheers brethren!!!!

M3kGOX6h.jpg

2qAFDAIh.jpg

I used to love that place, we went to the one on Sherman Way all the time. I have not been in years. That sauce looks spot on. I would usually get the BB burger combo and the spaghetti chili with the slice of american on top. I was bigger then...

Wow! Just...Wow! Really nice work, Sako. Solid.

Thanks Kanco!!

Super nommy Neighbor!! You nailed both of em. :cool::thumb::-D

Thanks Neighbor! Can't deny it was good and they gave me thumbs up on theirs.

Mighty Fine Sir! Those look like Tasty Burgers!

Thanks Mike!

I used to love that place, we went to the one on Sherman Way all the time. I have not been in years. That sauce looks spot on. I would usually get the BB burger combo and the spaghetti chili with the slice of american on top. I was bigger then...

I used go to the Glendale location on Glenoaks some years back. It was a treat every time we went in there. Nostalgia! :thumb:

I'm not sure I could bring myself to grind a NY strip, but just like everything else you cook, those are some fine looking burgers. Not saying I wouldn't drink it, but I do prefer my Kentucky bourbon to have a turkey on the label though.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to grind a NY strip, but just like everything else you cook, those are some fine looking burgers. Not saying I wouldn't drink it, but I do prefer my Kentucky bourbon to have a turkey on the label though.

Thanks Josh!

Perhaps this?? :-D

brbon_wil3.jpg

Nice. They are lucky you are willing to cook so many options to be so accommodating! I still have a hard enough time timing out 1 meal, let alone having several variations.

Nice. They are lucky you are willing to cook so many options to be so accommodating! I still have a hard enough time timing out 1 meal, let alone having several variations.

I really enjoy cooking, creating, re-creating and believe it or not sometimes I don't even eat at the end. At times people will look at me like "Are you crazy?" I truly enjoy cooking, q-ing portion of the process and it makes me happy when people go nuts and enjoy the food I make. My high is making as good of food as I can and people enjoying it. It's weird to some but it's truly relaxing for me. Cooking is my escape from the day to day routine of life.

Weird to some, but probably not to most of the people here. I imagine most of regular members on here, are doing it because they enjoy the process of it all-and how great it feels to provide good food to the people you love.

Now I just need to get back to LA to show you what good bourbon is : p

Those burgers look awesome, Both of them( need pickled beetroot)
pass on the Booze, beer is fine and don't you forget it in case I turn up one day.

Outstanding cook sir. In my early youth like 7-8 we’d travel to Dallas to take my Dad to the airport. We’d eat at Kips Big Boy and I’d get the exact same burger that you’d cooked. On a trip in 66-67 we ate at Bobs Big Boy. Pretty sure it was Burbank. But memories fade and hard to tell what I remember and what’s been imprinted by lore. We got close and drove by a lot of attractions. No studio tours, no Disney land- Knotts Berry Farm was free. But we ate good. Under saguaro cactus in AZ- burgers a lot. 4 kids in the backseat of a 1960 Chevy Impala. No A/C no radio.

Kicked up a few childhood memories of Deming, Tucson, Hollywood, Taft etc.
thanks for the memories jolt.

I think my parents saw two celebrities. Martha Raye?? And a blonde lady that had a gossip news segment (Rona Barrett???). Stretching my brain at 0500. More coffee.

Last edited:
Back