THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to try the Primo Taglio from Von's tonight. Any suggestions on temps? Haven't really gone much over 500-525 so far. Thinking of heading towards 700 this time.

Tempted to throw the crust on at 500 or so for a moment to firm it up before I load it up. Still having problems getting the blasted pies off my peel(s)...:oops:

John,

I take the dough out of the fridge and let it sit in the bag for 20 minutes. Then, I take it out and put it on a floured surface and work it into a uniform 8 inch disc, then put it on a plate and cover with a towel for another 20 minutes. This helps allow the gluten in the dough to "relax" so it's easy to work with. At that point, the dough is very easy to work with and stretch by hand.

I'd seriously look into the XL Super Peel if you want the easiest way to transfer the pie to the stone. I've never looked back since I've had mine and I'm always guaranteed a perfect pie every time with no shifting of toppings or changing of shape during transfer.

Neapolitan Style Pies

Finally got around to it and I have to say I got rusty but the pies still turned out good.

Made the dough using Caputo 00 obviously

edzAjqLh.jpg

First rise

gfMH6txh.jpg

Split it into three. Before the second rise

BTdQMkWh.jpg

Pizza Margherita

VIuEVuUh.jpg

Into the oven bottom stone about 800*

FqoV5Mah.jpg

An oil drizzle and fresh basil

Zj17NGNh.jpg

Crust

ldvfLD6h.jpg

Pie 2. Getting a little better

IjLnkAQh.jpg

BwqmJ8sh.jpg

:nod:

1up186Wh.jpg

More like it

5cNuS79h.jpg

:clap2:

ZGlV8sxh.jpg

Last but not least I threw some pepperonis on. Not so Neapolitan :becky:

N2oBQ12h.jpg

Chewy crust to die for :thumb:

6a4lOnfh.jpg

Nothing wrong with a little late breakfast. One of my favorite breweries.

06DV1Fnh.jpg

I have cooked almost as many steaks in this thing as I have pizzas.
A cast iron skillet with a broken handle makes a perfect platform for perfect steaks

3709595808fda68d8a04734a14e54d55.jpg

375e3ddf40a9b3f039c61dce0da19364.jpg

...I GOTTA learn how to make dough. A basic Baking class may be in my future. :redface:

John,

I'll again highly suggest following her dough recipe to begin with. As far as cooking, my stone temps for "regular" dough like hers are 550* and Moose is usually higher at 625*+. I've gotten used to my dome gauge so most of the time I don't use the IR gun when the dome thermo reads 450 (much higher stone temps) so I just slap on the pies. That simple.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAOgl-Sv09U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAOgl-Sv09U[/ame]

Got mine assembled yesterday and did 2 pies.

For the first pie - the stone temp was too high - 850. I also tried to load the pie while the stone was turning. That experience was somewhat like learning about pissing in the wind :becky: So... pie #1 didn't do too well & was cooked in about a minute & 1/2. Had a very burnt crust. Toppings were nice. It looked like someone put the back wheel of a very small motorcycle on it & did a spinout.

I couldn't get the temp down for pie #2 - even though I turned the heat down to the lowest setting & let the oven run for 10 minutes or so. I did stop the table from rotating while loading the pie, though. It cooked in 2 minutes. The bottom of the crust was burnt. The crust itself wasn't cooked, the toppings were cooked beautifully.

Suggestions? Will play with adjusting the regulator today & see how that works. Also clean the stone & interior.

Just cleaned it up. Cracked the lower stone on the first cook. :mad:

Last edited:
Called customer service. They are sending a new stone under warranty. :mrgreen: The rep was a real nice person to deal with. She stated that sometimes during shipping "micro cracks" can happen to the stone & you can't see them. So, when the stone is heated, it cracks (ok... that works for me). Asked her about the high heat & not being able to control it. She kinda admitted the control on the front of the grill didn't work that well. Told me to adjust the heat with the regulator. Once set to my liking, leave it alone. Don't need to turn it off after a cook.

The customer service is great!! The turning plate that came with mine was warped so i contacted customer service and they shipped a new one out immediately. I get it and look it over but notice the drive adapter is different and the current adapter that connects the roto motor to the turning plate is completely different. WTF!!?? I sent them an email asking if the drive adapter is different and what to do about it. Well just for ha's i double check the box and there's the new adapter wrapped up in brown paper at the very bottom. Blackstone promptly emailed me back saying another adapter was on the way but i was happy to inform them it was not their mistake, it was mine and it's all good now.

Gosh Moose, completely missed your Blackstone pizza oven thread here, won't happen in the future. Jut read thru the 5 pages here, dang that PB change that deleted all the pic's. A few observations based on my short 5 month ownership.

That tip on adjusting the regulator to control the temp is a good one, I struggle with the temp thing and that will make it a lot easier.

Par cooking the crusts has helped with all aspects of our pizza cook.

Wife uses the Bobby Flay recipe, looks the same measure to measure as Ms. Vitales.

Maybe its the stone temp, but my wife uses rice flour on the peel to keep it from sticking. But, when I pull the crust from the par cook, that flour residue ignites and leaves a sticky black residue on the stone. What can I do about that?

Maybe its the stone temp, but my wife uses rice flour on the peel to keep it from sticking. But, when I pull the crust from the par cook, that flour residue ignites and leaves a sticky black residue on the stone. What can I do about that?

Seriously consider getting the XL Super Peel. You'll never need to par-cook crusts again, it just needs a little dusting of flour and you're all set. I did a review here:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2016/7/20/product-review-the-super-peel

I remember reading your review. I'm going to monitor the stone temp, and use the regulator to hold the temp solid. We'll see how that goes first.
Just noticed you live in the San Fernando Valley, I grew up in Reseda.

A couple of pies from last night:

Mozz, Asiago, Ricotta, Arugula & Prosciutto.

TYqpLZg.jpg

Asiago, Kalamata, Jalapeno/Garlic stuffed Green, Picholine, Shallot & Pimento. The crust had toasted walnut pieces in it.

EUnLrna.jpg

Both pies were great. Even though I had drained & dried the olives well, the olive pizza was a bit on the salty side. Beer helped rectify that.

Last week at the grocery I saw this sort of hidden away in the Murray's cheese area of my local kroger
QP1lu5al.jpg

I remembered a few videos of Paulie Gee's in Brooklyn using this on their H'ellboy pizza. I had to try to recreate this now that I had the hot honey. Some crushed tomatoes, then a light sprinkle of parm, and some fresh grated mozzarella. Topped with sopresseta. Put in the Blackstone heated to about 675.
jVVjk7Xl.jpg

After it came out, gave a crosshatch drizzle of the hot honey.
Vbffimsl.jpg

Bonus shot of the underside
0DoZDQjl.jpg

I've made hundreds of pizzas, and am my own worst critic. Can always find something wrong. This was as close to perfect as I've made in quite some time.

Back