***Blackstone Pizza Oven Appreciation Thread***

Just got mine assembled. It arrived yesterday while I was away, so couldn't get to it til now. Thinking of doing a burn off here in a bit, then maybe a "cheater" Margherita pizza as an appetizer for dinner (already have a Steak planned for tonight).

I'll try a full on pizza tomorrow.

:whoo:

Learning curve with no shameful pictures!

I can't seem to make a round pizza. or one that looks great but it was tasty!

MSD is the dough expert and has some aging right now. A batch of sauce is cooked up and we will give it a go again.

what temp do you pizza masters suggest? Gauge and on the stone?

Thanks

MSD is the dough expert and has some aging right now. A batch of sauce is cooked up and we will give it a go again.

Thanks

Hey neighbor,

Depends on the flour and dough hydration but for the average pizza with AP flour I shoot for 550-600+ stone temp with my dome temp reading 425-450. "Usually" I go off the dome temp and don't use the IR gun unless I'm using caputo 00 flour for Neapolitan pies or something that require my stones to be at 850+.

Just to make it easy when the dome temp reads 425-450, the stone temps are about 500-600 and you get nice pies. It'll all come together with a few more pies/tries. :thumb:

**Disclaimer

The dome thermos aren't the best on these so YMMV but above are my approximate numbers for an average pie.

Last edited:

Thanks

Welcome to the club, SD! I don't pay attention to the temp gauge, just the stone temp. If I'm not using 00 flour, then stone temps around 625-675. If 00 flour, then 700-800.

What exactly is the issue you are having with getting the pie into a round? Is it loosing its shape when you launch it, or are you having trouble stretching it into a round? If the latter, then your dough is too low in hydration and could use a little more water. Either that or you're not letting it rest long enough out of the fridge before stretching, which helps the gluten "relax". I usually allow for about 45 minutes out of the fridge, sitting on a plate covered with a towel before I start working with it.

Thanks guys. This does help. Yup, getting it round to start with. It'll get there and I'll have to eat a few pies during this learning curve.

Thanks guys. This does help. Yup, getting it round to start with. It'll get there and I'll have to eat a few pies during this learning curve.

I play around now but for starters her dough technique has worked extremely well for me. Straight forward and simple. I turned out great pies following her lead.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAOgl-Sv09U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAOgl-Sv09U[/ame]

Finally. Very first pie on the Blackstone oven. I was pretty conservative with the heat.

RRj0WIv.jpg

Ko3RYBg.jpg

Crust on the second one:

pCLktgo.jpg

Well a good dough sure helps to make a round pizza. Not able to toss yet but getting it round. Transfer to the oven and keeping it round still needs some practice.

Did two mine and MSD's. They both tasted great. She made the dough and sauce, I'm just the assembler and beer drinker!

1st one (mine)

View attachment 145301

View attachment 145302

2nd one (MSD's)

View attachment 145303

View attachment 145304

Both tasted great and we are both learning with experience.

She used corn meal on the peel and I had flour.

Last edited:
I've posted a bunch of my older Blackstone pizzas in various threads. I'm doing a few tonight, and will try to get some more pics in here.

The Missus wants pizza tonight, so I'll be firing up the BS. Just gotta decide what kind of pizza. I may go with a Chicago thin style tonight. More to follow!

Tony, that looks fantastic! But that is a Detroit style pie, which I've yet to try. I have get the right pan for that.

Tony, that looks fantastic! But that is a Detroit style pie, which I've yet to try. I have get the right pan for that.

there is a restaurant in town that has thin Chicago just like this. It's a very shallow pan. Not like Detroit. Mozz on bottom, super thin sausage layer, and sauce on top. LYU chimed in when I posted in the past with these pics, and said it was the correct order. I've had Detroit pizza in Detroit from buddy's and jet's. It's nothing similar to this. Those are 3 to 4 times thicker than the above pizza.

What does your Chicago thin consist of?

Last edited:
there is a restaurant in town that has thin Chicago just like this. It's a very shallow pan. Not like Detroit. Mozz on bottom, super thin sausage layer, and sauce on top. LYU chimed in when I posted in the past with these pics, and said it was the correct order. I've had Detroit pizza in Detroit from buddy's and jet's. It's nothing similar to this. Those are 3 to 4 times thicker than the above pizza.

What does your Chicago thin consist of?

This is a totally new one on me, thanks for the heads up! I'd hit that pie of yours quite hard!

This is what I was referring to in my earlier post, and from Wikipedia:

There is also a style of thin-crust pizza found in Chicago and throughout the rest of the Midwest. The crust is thin and firm enough to have a noticeable crunch, unlike a New York-style pizza. This pizza is cut into squares, also known as a party cut or tavern cut,[12][13] as opposed to a pie cut into wedges. Among locals, thin-crust actually outsells the more widely known deep-dish style.[14] Aurelio's Pizza is a chain which specializes in this kind of pizza. Casa Bianca,[15] located in the Eagle Rock section of Los Angeles, is also well known for this style of thin-crusted Chicago bar pizza.[16][17][18]

What I want to do is take this recipe:

http://www.realdeepdish.com/2014/07-13-chicago-thin-crust-pizza-yes-its-a-thing/

Use as a base, but turn it into a layered cracker style crust. My plan is when the dough is ready to roll it out into the largest possible size, then start folding it over itself, like a pastry so it turns out like this:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=779.0

My plan is to NOT parbake the dough. Stay tuned...

OK. Got it. Looks similar to Vito and nicks. I love the square cut tavern pizzas. Looking forward to picks. Mine is more of the deep dish process, but with thinner layers of ingredients. Thin crust Chicago may not be the correct term for mine, but not sure what is.

Well, I got 3 practice pizza's out of the way and need to figure a few things out. Getting the pie off the peel is my biggest issue.

My first was a pure cheater just to check things out. Used an uncooked flour tortilla for the crust. It was easy. Just should have cooked at a higher temp.

The next 2 were using OLD frozen Sam's Club pizza balls. STICKY! Had so much trouble I ended up getting parchment out and placing it over the dough on the silicon sheet, then flipped it over and slowly peeled the sheet off. The next one I just went ahead and rolled it out on a piece of parchment, then placed another on top to roll it out.

I think these frozen dough balls are probably at least a couple of YEARS old. Ah well, strictly for practice.

Trying to figure out what kind of ZA I want to do for dinner......

Papa Murphy's sounds easy. :mrgreen:

SoCal, hit up your favorite pizza joint for some dough... I'm doing this until I can get all my ingredients together and have the time to make my own.

Back