THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O

Old Hippie

Yep, that’s a PVC valve. $2.50 v/s $20. That’s $17.50 I had to spend on the other bling. It should be nothing but normal, ambient air at “room temperature” going through the valve and pipe. I will keep a hand on the PVC valve and pipe during the seasoning burn.
BlackBetty_0001.jpg

The charcoal basket is 12” diameter and 12” high. It will hold an 18 lb bag of Kingsford. After I experiment with cooking times, the height will probably be reduced to about 7”. It’s bolted 2-1/2” off the bottom of a galvanized oil change pan which has been “washed” in muriatic acid to remove the galvanization.
BlackBetty_0002.jpg

Yep, two hats; dome and flat. The flat lid fits so good that I have to ever so slightly persuade it to come off just using the handle. The dome lid is a Kingsford (Masterbuilt) and it also fits perfectly without any modification.
BlackBetty_0003.jpg

A little side table that folds.
BlackBetty_0004.jpg

BlackBetty_0005.jpg

BlackBetty_0006.jpg

First, got to do a little proctology. I’m going to slather on a layer of lard for the seasoning burn.
BlackBetty_0007.jpg

The chicken was a little “rubbery” for my liking. Guess the recipe that called for an eight day brine in WD40 was wrong.
BlackBetty_0008.jpg

BlackBetty_0009.jpg

Wing nuts on the rotisserie for easy removal, then put a magnet over the holes when not using it.
BlackBetty_0010.jpg

BlackBetty_0011.jpg

Guess it's 'bout time to "GET HER DIRTY!"

Man, you got a real beauty there!! Very nice indeed!

As for the chicken, all I can suggest is try a PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery Oil marinade next time, and cut the soak time down to 3 to 4 days... :biggrin:

WD-40 brine is a maximum of 4 days at ambient temp of 87 degrees for best results.Looks like all you questions were answered as the Black Betty turned out very purrrrty. :biggrin:

Back