THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ok boys - I put in my order and can have it (I think) on Saturday

Can anyone explain the gas starter - is this the way to go for low and slow?
Can I use regular old Kingsford?
Can I use wood splits for smoking or does it need to be chunks?

TIA for EVERYTHING

Charles Department Store
Katonah, NY

See if you can't get them to throw in, complementary, a Weber charcoal rake. It's useful and cheap to them.

I am not sure I would try that, but you wouldn't want to sear steaks up in the dome anyway. Down by the fire heck yeah. When I did my calzone cook I hit 750 about 4-4.5" above the felt line above the stone and the vents were only 2/3 open. It would have passed 800 in the dome, totally indirect if I let it, higher near the fire under the stone I am sure. And yes, people have managed to melt aluminum drip pans closer to the fire.

For searing though, it is not just the temp but also how the heat is transferred. If you get closer to the coals, the infra red radiant heating is what gives the nice even sear. That is also how my salamander works. The gas flame heats metal rods to a glowing red to get the radiant heat transfer to the food down below.

I used to run my BGE XL with the placesetter to 950 in the dome for steaks. Best steaks I ever had. 2 x 2 x 2 yield a 136 1 1/4" ribeye every time perfect....

I've heard of BGE owners going full nuclear and spinning the thermometer. That's probably pushing 1000 degrees at the dome..................but why in the world would anyone do that? The hottest I've ever cooked on my Egg was 600 for pizzas.

Some Egg owners say they go full Chernobyl to do clean burns. Again........why risk damaging the cooker (cracking bases and frying gaskets)?

Weber is a good company. I imagine they did their due diligence in design and the Summit will be safe for responsible high heat cooking without it melting down.

Eggs are made to do this,...l and if an issue the whole time you on it they will cover any cracks under the warranty. So full nuclear cooks awesome steaks, that's why.

I used to run my BGE XL with the placesetter to 950 in the dome for steaks. Best steaks I ever had. 2 x 2 x 2 yield a 136 1 1/4" ribeye every time perfect....

So an indirect sear? What level were the steaks at? Plate setter legs up with the grate on the legs near the felt line? Or did you raise them further into the dome?

Hey guys,
I can weigh in on this a little bit since I used a Big Green Egg XL, KJ BJ, and now the Summit.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would be unhappy with either. My personal preference is the Summit, but I'd be totally happy with any of them. They cook so similar and are almost exactly the same side.

I like the all around convenience of the Summit and Weber's customer service. I also like the versatility of being able to raise the charcoal grate and have it operate like a kettle when the situation calls for it. It's really nice that everything has a spot. charcoal, table, storage, heat deflector storage (underneath), etc. I also don't worry about cracking anything or forgetting to tighten the straps.

KJ would be my second choice simply because I like their divide and conquer system, ash pan, and customer service better BGE. They are also much more innovative.

The main issue I had with my BGE was the hinge never felt quite right to me. Sometimes it would get really loosy goosy when it got hot. Also, my gasket fried the first few cooks (...that and the gasket fried in the first few cooks but whatever.) My customer service experience was great until the store let my "grill guy" go and replaced him with a vegetarian with limited people skills and grill knowledge (I'm not making this up.) I realized BGE's customer service is largely dependent and the person you have in front of you and therefore it's not consistent.

Having said that, the BGE XL may be my least favorite of the bunch but it's still all kinds of awesome and you can't go wrong with it.

One point I will NOT concede. I do NOT think ceramic is better just because it's ceramic. There are some advantages but there are also TONS of drawbacks to ceramic...just like there are plusses and minuses to metal grills. When I lay out all the pro and cons of each material side by side, the metal works better FOR ME. Everybody has to decide for themselves.

Get the one your gut tells you is the right one for you. You'll be happy with any of them, I promise...Or be smart about it and have your wife picks the one she thinks is prettiest. That way she'll be more on board with the decision and that's always a good thing. I'm promise you'll be Totally happy with whichever one she picks.

Here's some picks of a 20 pound brisket I smoked yesterday (see signature). I'm working on getting a Youtube video up tonight or tomorrow about the cook and it will have a TON of information about the smoker if you guys are interested. I love this smoker, but seriously I think you'll be happy with any of those 3.

I have never cooked on a summit. But have on a BGE XL for a few years. I agree with excactly what has been said and then some. When low and slow the BGE is to efficient and you can get an off flavor.

So an indirect sear? What level were the steaks at? Plate setter legs up with the grate on the legs near the felt line? Or did you raise them further into the dome?

It is alittle hard on the gasket. But yes that was how I cooked my steaks on my BGE XL.... If you want to save on the gasket, raise 1" into the dome.

I can't mock it until I try it.

My opinion is BGE cooks steak and pizza the best. Nuclear for steaks and nuclear for pizza. I even did a true neopolitin style pizza on it using the same way. But I will say you need to burp the egg. Otherwise injuries can result. The XL pizza stone at 1000 cooks pizza The best pizza I ever had. And yes placesetter legs up, grill grate and stone raised an inch above the grate.

Back