I decided to put Charcoal and Wood Chunks in with my Utilities in my Budget Plan

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
I don't want to feel guilty buying charcoal and wood chunks. So I am lumping it in with Utilities expenses for the year. Because the wood and charcoal saves on the gas/electric bill. It's a necessary energy expenditure for the type of food we need to cook and can't get indoors otherwise.

So not a Hobby or Discretionary expense for me anymore with respect to budgeting! :)

I've been doing a tight budget lately since prices are going up on everything. Trying to save as much as possible.. buying used items for cheap etc..

I can actually save a lot of money by smoking bacon outside with charcoal and wood chunks. $1.48/lb buckboard bacon vs. store bought $6/lb bacon (and the store bought has sprayed on liquid smoke).

EDIT: Also added a propane category under utilities, which I use with 100K BTU propane burner for both stir fry and to start Weber chimney.

uc

Last edited:
If you need to justify that is as good of a reason as any. I agree with smoking your own bacon and have done it for years. Crappy commercial bacon at outrageous prices made me a quick learner there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I want to try and not spend a single penny in discretionary spending for a 90 day period. This means no hobby expenses, no dining/fast food / convencience store items.. means cooking everything at home. No expenses for entertainment, movies, music, etc. :) No home upgrades or landscaping. No unneeded household items. No streaming subscriptons and other subscriptions. (I have an HD Antenna and DVR on my Mac Mini M1 -- I use plex for the dvr and have lifetime subscription.) (Actually, just having internet access gives me all the entertainment I need ---- forums, youtube videos, facebook etc. -- and I dont watch TV much at all, so I won't miss it really.)

So I needed to move the wood chunks and charcoal out of my "bbq hobby" which is under discretionary expenses in my software lol. It seems fair since I bought the wood chunks to smoke the bacon, which saves money. Seems appropriate in utilities, lumped along with other energy expendatures.

Last edited:
Back