Beware R&O smokers

From what I have read about small claims is that they can make a judgement against him but it is up to you to collect the debt. You will have to read up the process. He won't willingly comply with the judgement, from what I have read here.
I am happy to see that, on this site alone, 36,500 people are aware of him being a thief. He's toast!

Many years ago I gave an old boat to a waterman I knew. The only stipulation was that he return the port holes to me. He would not need them as he was going to remove the pilot house. About 6 months later I still had not received the port holes. I contacted him about them and he told me he "sold" them. I reminded him that they didn't belong to him as I retained them in the deal. He said "so what, sue me". So I did just that. I sued him in small claims court. I showed up with 4 witnesses to the transaction and won the case....he left the court smiling. I think he had been through this before. However nobody had actually pursued him for the judgements. I did not let that happen. I waited 30 days and then went to the sheriff with the paperwork for the judgement. I informed the sheriff where his clam boat was moored. The sheriff went down to the harbor and chained his boat to the dock. I had a certified check in my hand that afternoon.

Moral, if you get the judgement, PURSUE your options!

Last edited:
I had a certified check in my hand that afternoon.

Glad that worked out for you, but a low-down sneaky sidewinder could get a certified check and then transfer those funds out of the account. You've now got the check, but there's no funds to draw against. All a certified check means is that at the time of the check creation, there were funds in the account to cover it. What you really want is a Cashier's Check...or cash!

I worked at a full auto repair and body shop way back in my younger days. I was the GM. Responsible for the day to day stuff, basically getting the cars in and out. One Monday morning I arrived at the shop to get the day started and was greeted by a Sheriff's Deputy, 6 guys and a large moving van.

I was handed a paper that basically stated any and all property on site was to be seize for non-payment of goods and services to one of our body and paint suppliers.
I called the owner to let him know and he replied "Damn, you Texas SOBs really take this $hit seriously".

Seems that Florida boy, the owner, had a beef with the supplier and was not paying the bill.
In 15 minutes the Deputy had funds to settle the matter.
Yes it can be done here in the Great State of Texas!!

Stay with it. I truly hope you get money back and that SOB goes to jail!

Part of the issue might be how he organized his business. If he incorporated, then most likely he has no legal (as opposed to moral) personal responsibility. That happened to us with a bad roofing job. Couldn't go after the jerk on a personal basis. Had to sue the corporation which was, of course, in bankruptcy. He still has his big and fancy cars........

Last edited:
Part of the issue might be how he organized his business. If he incorporated, then most likely he has no legal (as opposed to moral) personal responsibility. That happened to us with a bad roofing job. Couldn't go after the jerk on a personal basis. Had to sue the corporation which was, of course, was in bankruptcy. He still has his big and fancy cars........

R & O does not appear to have filed any paperwork with the Secretary of State in Texas to establish an LLC.

Agreed

Sorry for all the trouble, have you checked out El Rey Smokers in Mansfield Tx? He is the R in R&O and doing great work, I bought an old R&O backyard model that Robbie designed but he was already gone at that point when I bought it. He has made pits for Mo Cason and Meat Church, from what I understand he had a falling out with Billy and started his own business, seems to be doing well, hope you get everything back on track, good luck

Friend in Aledo just got one great quality

Since its across state lines. Can't you file a complaint with the us attorney or FBI? I would file one with the TX state attorney general also!

I think that it is time To contact (Edward) (The Bucket List). He knows a guy that knows a guy that has a friend that knows a guy that can take care of such things.:-D

Its been a year since I ordered my smoker and I am out $3,000 dollars. Billy Overton has ripped off 5 people that I know of. One guy used his credit card for a deposit and got his money back from the credit card company, it was over $6000 Billy strung him along until March of this year. Another guy had a $3000 and showed up at Billy's door,Billy gave him some rusty Pitt without axles he loaded it up on a trailer and took it, he figured that was better than nothing. There are 3 of us left who haven't got anything. I tried small claims in Granbury they couldn't serve him. I tried consumer justice on Dallas 11 news, did an interview with them but Billy told them he was fileing Bankruptcy so they put it on hold. I text Billy at least once a week so he knows I haven't forgot about him he replies once in a while and tells me as soon as he sells this big Pitt he has he will pay me or he tells me this is stupid and I should quit harassing him. The Granbury sheriffs office has an open investigation on this, but they told me it's hard to prove fraud. So if anyone else has been ripped off by Billy Overton at R&O smokers please contact me or the Granbury Sheriffs office. I am getting ready to file small claims in the county Billy lives in now. One of the other guys Billy has ripped off already filed and went to court of course Billy didn't show up he has a judgement claim,now he has to go to court to put a lien on his property.

Coincident I was thinking of this case just a couple weeks ago. DO NOT give up! Snakes do come out of the grass at some time. Then do whatever it takes to get what you want from this SNAKE. Have you put anything in his local news paper to warn others in the area what he is made of. Good luck.

I am sorry that this guy is a snake. But keep up the pressure on him so no one else is taken by this fraud.

I would get my money back and buy something else that's alot of money you can find alot of nice pits in that price range I could only imagine what he would be like after the sale do you think his pits are so great he can treat you like that I'm sure slot of pit builders would love to have your business and treat you with the respect you deserve

Maybe the brethern in his area should go to his business and protest with sighn and everything I would think about 100 people in front of his business or his house might get the message across put his picture on Facebook and every BBQ forum

I would get my money back and buy something else that's alot of money you can find alot of nice pits in that price range I could only imagine what he would be like after the sale do you think his pits are so great he can treat you like that I'm sure slot of pit builders would love to have your business and treat you with the respect you deserve

He has been trying for over a year to get his money back.

Back