THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vinny, I know you are kidding, but, if Weber threw some weight behind it, I believe a Gasser circuit would make it.

Ironically, I was just thinking about this tonight: What would happen if there were a new santioning body that tried to take some of the BS outta things: Everything goes and nothing goes that gets so many complaints. A new santioning body that allows gas and electricity for heat. Allows rub before the comp as long as it isn't cooked. Prohibits garnish to get rid of the putting green. Broadens the category to include "Ribs, Pork, Beef, and Poultry" and you can cool whichever cut you want as large, small, or parted as you want? Prolly wouldn't fly, but I think it would be an interesting format. With that in place, KCBS could outlaw all electronic pits and make it a purist thing only. Now let's see what happens....Just a thought.

dmp

Ironically, I was just thinking about this tonight: What would happen if there were a new santioning body that tried to take some of the BS outta things: Everything goes and nothing goes that gets so many complaints. A new santioning body that allows gas and electricity for heat. Allows rub before the comp as long as it isn't cooked. Prohibits garnish to get rid of the putting green. Broadens the category to include "Ribs, Pork, Beef, and Poultry" and you can cool whichever cut you want as large, small, or parted as you want? Prolly wouldn't fly, but I think it would be an interesting format. With that in place, KCBS could outlaw all electronic pits and make it a purist thing only. Now let's see what happens....Just a thought.

dmp

I have often thought a true Stick Burner class be started (No Charcoal or Electric/Electronic helpers). To me this is what a true Pit Master should be judged vs a pit that you put the meat in and come back 10-12 hours and take it out. That is getting away from the pure BBQing skill of tending a fire from logs.

Just saying...

I kinda like the show because like it has been said it is about a subject I enjoy and even though it is a bit predictable it is good to check out on the DVR. Are any of these guys members on here or do any of y'all know them personally?

I have often thought a true Stick Burner class be started (No Charcoal or Electric/Electronic helpers). To me this is what a true Pit Master should be judged vs a pit that you put the meat in and come back 10-12 hours and take it out. That is getting away from the pure BBQing skill of tending a fire from logs.

Just saying...

Natural lump charcoal would fall under that catagory.

Using tweezers to maneuver green garnish was my idea. I'm still collecting royalty checks on that one. The Oriental folks refuse to pay because they say tweezers are too similar to chop-sticks. :-D

that sucks cause that was the next thing i was gonna claim! i guess i cant use tweezers anymore

So your friend must have a pretty selective memory. He must have missed the spots with Slap your Daddy and Tuffy. LeAnne (sp?) is certainly far from abraisive. I suppose that with DVR it is always possible that he fast forwarded through all the positive folks - including Myron and Johnny when they are at their best! Certainly something happened to "fool" (to use his words) him.

Unfortunately like I said, perception is reality. Sure you get glimpses of the good guys but you can't deny the show is focused around foul mouthed Myron Mixon. If I was an outside observer and didn't compete, I may have had the same observation. The show certainly does not highlight alot of the comradery that we are used to at a competition, but then again that would make for boring tv. You can't deny that the show is not flattering to competitive BBQ. Look at it from an outsiders point of view.

Every single outsider I have talked to has really enjoyed it. I have received emails asking me where to go compete and also two from different organizations here in Ontario (one in Owen Sound and one in Windsor) asking about how to organize a contest. I can't help but think these people (outsiders) must have seen something they thought was positive to go about contacting people to find info.

Big Jim, if I was to take your premise all the way, why not make a comp where everyone has to cook on the same type of pit, say a Jambo. That way you are taking all of the variables away. I think one of the interesting things about comps is that there are teams like Slap Yo' Daddy competing with what are essentially backyard smokers and competing successfully against teams with professional smokers, competition smokers and everything in between.

Bob - When I look at a stick burner (Any Brand & Home Made) competing against any smoker that has electronics and care free 12 hour cooks, I believe the true understanding of heat and smokeing from wood is the stick burner. It is like a man running a robot welder vs. a man doing hand welding. Whom would you say knows more about welding? If that free hand welder has a better bead, that is a hell of an acomplishment vs. pushing a button and let the robot do the welding.

My point is that I would like to see a BBQ Association that banned the robots and allowed only logs to truely get back to the true BBQ log burner. I am not striving to have everyone on the same stick burners, just need to be stick burners.

I do understand the point you are making Big Jim. Personally I like the idea of messing with the wood and smoke. If you strip it down to the core, it could be stickburners only, no garnish etc... I think you will lose a lot of market that way, it becomes too distant from what most people understand. I am saying this as a person that does not compete, but, enjoys the game as an observer.

As an aside, my dad was one heckuva welder, the look of terror on his face anytime I grabbed the torch is something I still see.

Hello Bob,

I too remember my dad's face when I had a cutting torch in my hands (LMAO).

I too believe there is not enough old stick burners out there to have whole events only stick burners. My thought is to have each single meat catagory judging be done by catagories of stick burners, charcoal burner (No Electronics/Electricity), charcoal burner (With Electronics/Electricity) and then gas burners. The judgeing would be on as level as possible a playing field as possible with a difficulty multiplier to be applied to each of the meat catagory's final score (all 3 categories scores added together for each meat). Then take those scores and combine them all to get the Meat and overall winners.

I would have the difficulty multiplier something like the following:
Log Burners - X 1.3
Charcoal Burner (No Electronics/Electricity) - 1.2
Charcoal Burner (With Electronics/Electricity) - 1.1
Gas Burner - 1.0

This would also get the gas Burners in the event and I believe we would see 200 Teams where we see only 20-30 today in the pro devision. I think that the backyard would also be full with gassers.

Just a thought...

BTW - The seperate judging would be at a table (blind to the judges) level. This would ensure that the judges score higher or lower due to cooker multiplier.

Hello Bob,

I too remember my dad's face when I had a cutting torch in my hands (LMAO).

I too believe there is not enough old stick burners out there to have whole events only stick burners. My thought is to have each single meat catagory judging be done by catagories of stick burners, charcoal burner (No Electronics/Electricity), charcoal burner (With Electronics/Electricity) and then gas burners. The judgeing would be on as level as possible a playing field as possible with a difficulty multiplier to be applied to each of the meat catagory's final score (all 3 categories scores added together for each meat). Then take those scores and combine them all to get the Meat and overall winners.

I would have the difficulty multiplier something like the following:
Log Burners - X 1.3
Charcoal Burner (No Electronics/Electricity) - 1.2
Charcoal Burner (With Electronics/Electricity) - 1.1
Gas Burner - 1.0

This would also get the gas Burners in the event and I believe we would see 200 Teams where we see only 20-30 today in the pro devision. I think that the backyard would also be full with gassers.

Just a thought...

I fail to see any difference between a stickburner and a UDS or WSM with no Guru or Stoker. They both involve no outside mechanical machine to aid or assist the cook.

I fail to see any difference between a stickburner and a UDS or WSM with no Guru or Stoker. They both involve no outside mechanical machine to aid or assist the cook.

Matt,

Difference is having to add a stick or two every 30-45 minutes and the skill involved to maintain chamber temp. If you add to soon, temp goes up. If you add to late, temp stays too low for a period.

Do you have to do this fire and temp maintenance every 30-45 minutes with a UDS or WSM?

Matt,

Difference is having to add a stick or two every 30-45 minutes and the skill involved to maintain chamber temp. If you add to soon, temp goes up. If you add to late, temp stays too low for a period.

Do you have to do this fire and temp maintenance every 30-45 minutes with a UDS or WSM?
You certainly are not a good ad for Ben Lang.

I used to own a Klose and I would add 2 sticks every 90 minutes to maintain even temps for the entire cook. Had to adjust the air intake for 5 minutes then back to where it was. And no temp spikes. And no welding blanket needed to cover it. I've seen Jambo pits work pretty much the same way.

No skill there. Stoke it, set timer for 85 minutes and back to sleep.

Just saying...

Go for it!

The best chance you got is to MAYBE have the highest placing stick burner recognized at a contest and give them a high-five.

You certainly are not a good ad for Ben Lang.

I used to own a Klose and I would add 2 sticks every 90 minutes to maintain even temps for the entire cook. Had to adjust the air intake for 5 minutes then back to where it was. And no temp spikes. And no welding blanket needed to cover it. I've seen Jambo pits work pretty much the same way.

No skill there. Stoke it, set timer for 85 minutes and back to sleep.

No issues with my Model 84 Lang or Ben. Only question I have for you is if the stick burners are so easy, why are you not still using the Klose. That is saying something too ... but I do not believe it is against the David Klose product quality. :biggrin:

No issues with my Model 84 Lang or Ben. Only question I have for you is if the stick burners are so easy, why are you not still using the Klose. That is saying something too ... but I do not believe it is against the David Klose product quality. :biggrin:
bad knees and I'm vending now so need it all on one trailer.

Back