BBQ Pitmasters = Bigger Competitions?

Sledneck and I are working on the gas grilling association details. We're looking at it from a business perspective. The gas grilling market is untapped for competition and is undoubtely a larger market than wood/coal which is so 1960's. We've got a proposal for Weber and Char-broil on the table now.

Larger consumer market but a smaller market when it comes to people who are interested in actually competing in a cooking competition in my opinion.

Larger consumer market but a smaller market when it comes to people who are interested in actually competing in a cooking competition in my opinion.

Sledneck says big $$ make people do funny things they never thought they would do before. Many people with gassers don't even know today's BBQ competition world exists and many who may know about it are probably turned off by the time investments, need to cook overnights, large cooking apparatus, and maybe most importantly need to make and sustain a fire.

Everyone knows how to light a gasser and toss on a burger.

Burger, hot dog, kebob, wings - the basic four maybe a Chef's Choice.

Maybe just focus on the big cities first... NY, Chicago, LA to start.

:wink:

I whatched it tonight for the first time, whats sad is most lemmings out there will take what they see on the tv and think well thats the way it is! Its just TV folks

Some people (me) say Tom Cruise and Days of Thunder was the best and worst thing that ever happened to NASCAR. I was a NASCAR fan before that movie and I can't even watch it anymore. I hope BBQ competitions don't get that way but I would not be suprised if one day there was a $5000 entry fee and $250,000 prize money at the average competition.

Will there be classes Vinny, 3-burners versus 2-burners? I might have to move forward with my MAPP afterburner mods now.

A colleague who has seen the show and knows I have a team that has competed asked me how I put up with a$$holes like that guy with the beard (Mixon) and that old man (Trig). I said they are the exception rather than the rule and that I have met the nicest people cooking at competitions. His reply was, "you could have fooled me". Perception is reality so I guess the show doesn't help our cause that much.

Just as there is still racing other than NASCAR, there will still be BBQ other than the megashows. Probably a much greater likelihood, because while the average neighborhood Joe doesn't haul off and buy himself a race car, anybody with a couple of WSMs or drums can compete in BBQ, and do well.

In either case, the type to sit passively in front of a TV wouldn't be my first candidate -- and the ones with the grit to get up and do it can probably think far enough ahead to go see for themselves what it's like.

I am not sure how the show could bring anymore people to BBQ comps.... I don't know many people that can keep their eyes open through the entire thing!!!!!:)

I am not sure how the show could bring anymore people to BBQ comps.... I don't know many people that can keep their eyes open through the entire thing!!!!!:)

Now, now, don't be so negative! Some of us enjoy the show. It may not be exactly what we wanted BUT it is something to watch on a subject I love :p Don't know if will, or will not, bring more folks. Several of my friends have asked or emailed me wondering if I knew about the show and stated they enjoyed. They may or not form a team, but I'm confident they will go and check out a comp if they have the opportunity. If more folks attend the comps it has to be good for the organizers :-D

A colleague who has seen the show and knows I have a team that has competed asked me how I put up with a$$holes like that guy with the beard (Mixon) and that old man (Trig). I said they are the exception rather than the rule and that I have met the nicest people cooking at competitions. His reply was, "you could have fooled me". Perception is reality so I guess the show doesn't help our cause that much.

So your friend must have a pretty selective memory. He must have missed the spots with Slap your Daddy and Tuffy. LeAnne (sp?) is certainly far from abraisive. I suppose that with DVR it is always possible that he fast forwarded through all the positive folks - including Myron and Johnny when they are at their best! Certainly something happened to "fool" (to use his words) him.

A few observations -

Paul - go with your intuition and realize "you do not belong there."
First let me say I have always hated - hated - people who say things like "I am the greatest chef in the State of Texas (or any large regional area)" and then be from somewhere like MCKINNEY TEXAS. I hate people who self-proclaim themselves the greatest in anything, typically out of thin air, but do not have the foresight to let everyone else know.

Mind you there are some excuses. In 1980 no one had ever heard of Minneapolis/St Paul for having done anything except being the town Mary Tyler Moore had her job and apartment in.

The town was primarily known for country - Until a pioneer called Prince Rodgers Nelson not only laid out a grand design of Funk for the 1980 Minneapolis sound, he also completely created the sound of the TIME, Vanity 6, Appolonia 6 - at times playing all the instruments and producing then under the name of Jamie Starr. Later his musical protegees would be fired from the Time and make Janet's Break through album "Control," namely having the Prince Penned hit (traded for "Gigalos get lonely too"), and extension of his empire. In 1981 Prince opend for Rolling Stone (a disaster) then RICK JAMES. By the end of the tour, Prince had stolen James whole stage act (by watching him on stage) and thereby made Rick look like he was copying Prince. By the end of the tour Prince had stolen all of Rick James stick and his girlfriend Vanity.

Rolling Stone said of Prince - "Genius? He had the foresight to create from thin air his own competition."

Lesson? Paul, you can actually steal and bluster your way to the top - but you have to have skills - which you do not.
Prince once said - "I always knew I was bad, I would not have gotten in the biz if I didn'y know I was bad. Paul is bad in a different way.

LeAnne - so your brisket stopped on the rotessirie and cooked hotter and faster than you wanted it to and as you said - placed a little better than expected. Well - think for a moment when you said " i don't like to do the hot and fast because it doesn't give the meat time to do what it needs to do." Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

First of all your a dumb ass - you could have negotiated 10 minutes from the event codinator - JUST TELL him to go put more sugar in his tank - and banked your meat on the shelves for a bit and leave the hot shelf empty then shut the pit turntable off. However - maybe you learn something from this - briskets are more forgiving than you think.

Myron - LOve Ya buddy - I think the fact the douchebag stole from ya and missed his turn in and lost dead last everythign else pretty much has Karma on your side.

Tuffy - shut my farkin mouth - 1st in brisket? WTF is in that chit? Good job. Hey Phil, You wonder don't ya?

The Murphy's Fairy - Murphys law - Now I remember a year ago, back when Neil was building his sink thing with the water heater and pump system we all got in a serious disscussion about 110 volt pump AND Heater - versus 110 volt batttery charger and having the heater on LP and the Pump on 12Volt. I think I won out. Why did I insist he use a converter? Because of the Murphy's fairy there on that show. You never know when some fairy is gonna flutter by and shut off your power. The fairy has a passion for meat, just not in the same way you do. Power problems are the biggest thing that you can count on happening at any catering event, fair or competition - you betta make a backup plan. I think STORMS ARE NEXT IN LINE - bring a damn genset! Don't plug your stoker into it though without a batt power supply for clean AC.

Here's how, Someone somewhere looks at Paul and says - Dead Last? That's the guy I wanna beat. That's how a lot of us enter into these things, I KNOW I won't be dead last.

Also, I think having the show build the main characters up the entire show and then during the callings they stand there while other UNKNOWNS get ribbons or Grand Prize shows that even Myron can be beaten, repeatedly.

Myron has his eyes set on GC which is a different strategy than just getting any ole ribbon. Takes a mind and nerves of steel to get GC like that over and over.

Actually, I take it back, he has his mind on WORLD Champion in everything he does.

fell asleep @ 10:10 during the first commercial. TLC should try a show on competitive clay pigeon shooting next year.

I figure the show would be a hit. My day job has a ton of employees, and I heard people talking about it in the weeks prior to the show airing. 2.2 million is no small amount of viewers! Hopefully it does bring out more teams, and spectators to the festivals. Especially to those who vend as well as compete!

I hope it does too. I'm afraid not all the contest are situated for very much growth where they are being held now. Maybe growth would at least force them to choose between larger contest with a new location or stay the same.

The gas grilling market is untapped for competition...

just some info... the NEBS Grilling Rules DO allow for gas if the organizer so desires...

Examples of it working... the Snowshoe Grilling Challenge and Brookline, NH. Both of these are successful, charity-driven, one-day events with EXTREMELY LOW entry fees and gas is allowed.
Both events are designed to encourage the 'cash-conscious weekend warrior' to come out and play. A number of these events' competitors have successfully made the jump to BBQ competitions as well (without the gas).
Best of Luck !
Keep us posted... and if you find yourself in need of a 'contest official'... you know where to find me... :lol:

Back