THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

80+ LBS of brisket turned to into DOG FOOD

most deserving of a bump

I knew someone was going to bump this thing and remind me that I still need to post my fark-bomb of a disaster... Thanks. :rolleyes:

Here goes - As previously mentioned, I had a friend ask me several months ago to make pulled pork and brisket for 200 peeps at his parents 50th anniversary. I said yes... :doh:

Pork came out great as it usually does. Brisket, umm, not as well...

I usually inject briskets with Butcher's beef marinade and prime dust, well I had the prime dust, but was all outta the butchers marinade, no biggie, prime dust is pretty good and I'll just grab a couple beef marinade envelopes at the store, it won't be the same, but this aint competition so I think we'll be alright.

Now - I want to make this quite clear - The results of this Kroger beef marinade and Butchers Prime Dust injection from hell is in no way the fault of David from Butchers BBQ - His product is great - The bad seed in this equation was the Kroger marinade, I'll explain in a bit...

So I mix up the 2 envelopes of kroger krap with the prime dust and start poking holes in the 7 full packers I've got. I just injected 1 side thru the cryo pack, again, not competition so I figured 1 side would be enough...

I toss 2 packers on the UDS and 3 onto the char-griller at about 6 pm on friday night (everyone is set to be chowing the next day at 5 pm, I planned on getting them to 190* and then hold them in a hot cooler till they're ready to be served).

At about 1:30 am I go out to check on everything, I poke my dull ice pick probe at them to see how things are progressing and to my total disbelief, the probe sunk into the meat about 1/2", like it was already done!! :shocked:

WTH??!!! I scrape the probe across the top and a piece of meat tears out... Oh this can't be good.

I taste it and it completely MUSHES in my mouth.

We're not talking about over-done soft "pulled" brisket type texture... we're talking about wet dog food mush!!!!

From a past expirence, I get this sinking feeling in my stomach. I head back inside and dig one of the kroger envelopes out of the trash and there it was... "Beef Marinade... with TENDERIZER" Oh crap. What have I done?

Well I decide to let them finish cooking and see how they look in the morning. Maybe I could cut off the top layer of mush and still get decent brisket out of the rest of it.

So about 8 am when I get the courage up to test it out again, I poke it with the probe and it slides right through. I scrape the top of the meat and it literally opens up a crevice. Oh this is bad.

We'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

***WARNING*** ***WARNING*** ***WARNING*** ***WARNING*** ***WARNING*** ***WARNING*** ***WARNING***
**SOME PEOPLE MAY FIND THE FOLLOWING PICTURES DISTURBING AND INAPPROPRIATE TO POST ON A BBQ FORUM - VIEWER DISCRETION IS STRONGLY ADVISED**

IMG_1322Medium.jpg

IMG_1323Medium.jpg

IMG_1324Medium.jpg

More tack marks than a heroin junkie

IMG_1337Medium.jpg

It really didn't look too bad when you sliced it...

IMG_1342Medium.jpg

Until you tasted it or tore a piece off... below is a pic of the same slice as above.

IMG_1344Medium.jpg

IMG_1335Medium.jpg

This is what it looked like when you pulled all the nasty crap off the top... it had been sitting out for a while by the time I took this pic so it's especially ugly looking.

IMG_1347Medium.jpg

My bucket of SHAME...

IMG_1350Medium.jpg

Of the 7 packers, only a few points were able to be salvaged. Since I had injected only thru the top of the cryo, the flats were the worst of it... here's what I had left of 7 briskets.

IMG_1339.jpg

I had to scramble at this point - there was no way I would be able to recook enough briskets to feed that many people.

I called Costco and asked how much Tri-Tip they had on hand - they said several cases - I could have all I needed - $3.48/lb... OUCH!!

I grabbed a 56lb case, trimmed them up, seasoned with doctored montreal and tossed them over a hot lump fire...

IMG_1329Medium.jpg

Used the traeger as a holding area

IMG_1330Medium.jpg

I cooked them all to about 120* and moved them to hotel pans to take to the party - that gave them enough of a rest to come up to about 130* (sorry, no sliced pics, was too busy!)

I was blown away - I served 50lbs of med rare beef to a couple hundred people and only about 4-5 asked if I had anything that was more well-done!! Amazing! :clap2:

Out of 24 tri-tips I ended up with only 3 left over!!!

That day was both the biggest disaster and biggest save of my life... hope that NEVER happens again!

Lesson learned - I will ALWAYS be checking pkgs for tenderizer in the future!!

Wow, that tenderizer is some really nasty stuff...you lucked out on being able to save the day though, and that's the important thing!

:shocked::shocked: Brings back memories of last year's Easter ham mush. Glad you came up with a quick save.

Was wondering if anyone had any disasters to share that happened over Labor day weekend? :confused:

I'll give you the cliff's notes version:

-New infrared gasser
-Freshly rubbed dino bones
-Grill way too hot and didn't realize it
-Ran inside to grab a beer, came back 5 mins later and the BONES of the ribs were on fire

1 - Those with long hair should tie it back before bending down into a UDS, esp. if it's well seasoned.

2 - If yer waking up in the middle of the night to cook, you might wanna allow a couple minutes to let the brain warm up. Guerry's vinegar slaw is fantastic. That slaw dressing, however, makes a horrible injection for pork butts. That's all I'm saying.

Sorry, not Q related, just a mess associated with dinner. :D

We were having dinner with family that included a bunch of kids. Ran out of chocolate sauce for chocolate milk. No problem, we have a backup bottle from BJs in the basement. Wife goes downstairs to grab a new bottle of Hershey's syrup (did I mention it's the BJs warehouse size container??). She's coming up the stairs and gets JUST to the top step when she turns the corner and I hear, "Clump! Clump! Clump! Clump! Clump, clump, clump."

I ask my wife if she's OK. Nothing. I call out again, getting concerned, asking if she's alright. She starts to say something, but what comes out is completely unintelligible. At this point, I'm really concerned, so I go to the basement door to see her standing in the doorway, mouth hanging open, and she's looking down, shaking her head, and trying to speak but she can't. I ask again, "WHAT'S WRONG?!?!" She just points down the stairs. Ooooohhhh...I now see the problem.

The syrup had slipped from her hand, landed bottle bottom first on the top step of the stairs. That hard landing caused the top of the syrup bottle to pop open and shoot a stream of syrup up onto her and onto the walls. After that initial hit, the bottle bounced and started spinning, spiraling, cartwheeling down the steps, spewing thick, delicious, chocolatey syrup all along the stairs, the walls, the (carpeted) floor, the furniture, finally landing at the bottle of the steps glopping syrup onto the floor. :doh:

My initial reaction (after seeing that she was OK)? Hysterical laughter. The wife didn't immediately see the humor of the situation. Wiped down what we could, then got out the carpet cleaner.

We found some chocolate sauce under the sofa in the basement a couple weeks later... what we hadn't been noticed initially, the ants were able to find no problem.

It's a lot funnier now... several years later. :D

Bruce

November 20, my birthday. I decide to do some St. Louis style ribs. Get 'em prepped, get 'em on the UDS. Everythings running fine. Go to check on 'em after appropriate time...burned to a crisp!! Easily a 1/8" of char all around both racks. At least the family was inside making a chitload of appetizers. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the beers that kept magically appearing before, throughout the day!

Matt

Back