BBQ Contest Conflict of Interest?

Can anyone explain to me how a contest could be rigged to favor a BOD member?
Or, any team for that matter.

Just curious.

TIM

BOD member makes a distinctive presentation

Rep knows which box is his/hers on turn in

Under the guise of FBA practice of evening out the judges at a table, said table is stacked with "friendly" judges who know the presentation

Repeat three more times

Voila

stir pot mod :lol:

EDIT: WOW this has gotten heated. I was only having fun. Not pointing fingers. Backpeddle mod

My observation, objectively speaking, is that if the "volunteers" aren't employees then they could compensate themselves with prize money by entering the competitions they are the governing body of.

Are you a dues paying member of FBA yet? It would seem to me that, that would be the first step towards correcting a problem you seem to feel exists. You'd then be vested.

It just strikes me as odd that you joined this forum, and seem to have a great deal of insight based on just checking out one contest. As a friendly suggestion, you might want to visit Cattle Call and tell us a bit about yourself. It only seems fair, since the cooks of the FBA and their elected leadership know each other. Since you've called into question the integrity of public figures and all....

Are you a dues paying member of FBA yet? It would seem to me that, that would be the first step towards correcting a problem you seem to feel exists. You'd then be vested.

It just strikes me as odd that you joined this forum, and seem to have a great deal of insight based on just checking out one contest. As a friendly suggestion, you might want to visit Cattle Call and tell us a bit about yourself. It only seems fair, since the cooks of the FBA and their elected leadership know each other. Since you've called into question the integrity of public figures and all....

And Rub is a brother...

So sorry for coming to his aid. BUt I know he is busy at school now and can't defend himself.

So not trying to start a fight. Just defending the innocent. Just who I am.

Or some of the folks that have run the FBA are damn good cooks. What is more likely?

BOD member makes a distinctive presentation

Rep knows which box is his/hers on turn in

Under the guise of FBA practice of evening out the judges at a table, said table is stacked with "friendly" judges who know the presentation

Repeat three more times

Voila

stir pot mod :lol:

EDIT: WOW this has gotten heated. I was only having fun. Not pointing fingers. Backpeddle mod

Coming from a different organization (MIM/MBA) as a judge, it seems almost ludicrous
to think that it's possibly rigged. That the better teams also serve on the BOD of
their organization is simply a product of them wanting to serve (FOR FREE) the org
that they want to see flourish. Damn. 'Course, we could start making those 6 figure
salaries, and charge an additional $100 per entry in a contest. Then perhaps we
could get paid ossifers that dont cook...

In the mean time, does it strike you as a conflict of interest if you cook the food
at home and then get to dilly your wife? I'm thinking if you're a cook, someone
else should be paid to dilly your wife.... *ZAP*

Perhaps one of the ladies might chime in on this thought...

chansmoker

as a current president of an bbq organization that also happens to cook and gets blasted every damn time I cook a different sanctioning body events. were would you like for the members to cook? the way you would like to have an organization their would be no members because in MOST cases guys like you just like to bitch but never show up to meeting or even join the organization!

If you really have a problem with it I would suggest that you join the organization meet the people and then decided if you still have a problem before you just go to one event and THINK you saw something wrong? further more if you did see the box's the way you did then while you were stuffing your pie hole why didn't you ask one of the teams their? and to call RUB out is just plain ridiculous

In response to Jorge & Scottie. No I am not a paying member of the FBA, yet. I'm not competing. For the past 2 years I have taken my family to BBQ events to watch and most importantly, eat. Should I decide to invest my time and money and starting a team, I want to do the research. I asked the question, I didn't mean to start WWIII. As for Cattle call, I am new to the forum, I will make sure I fill out my profile and introduce myself.

As for "Rub," I don't know who you're talking about. Some of the guys on the earlier posts on this thread mention their name, not me. I'm not pointing fingers, I was asking an honest question.

Well, if there was a "Grassy Knoll BBQ Society" perhaps...

But, seriously, no.

I've been involved in bbq contests as a competitor, as an organizer, as a rep, judge, table captain and as a NEBS board member, and...no.

The folks involved in bbq contests do so with the utmost of integrity, and would never jeapordize their events, or reputations to help one individual team win.

Even some rinky-dink little non-sanctioned contests that I've seen may have been run in an un-organized manner, but rigged? No.

There is no possible way any contests I've ever seen could possibly be rigged without a large conspiracy, which would just never work, as you'd need many numerous people to be involved in trying to get one team to win...why?

Just doesn't happen. If it did, trust me on this, NONE of us would continue to be involved.

I'd say that anyone who buys into the latest conspiracy theory should probably find a different hobby than BBQ contests. It's just not a black and white kind of thing and it never will be.

Please let me apologize if I have implied that I thought anyone was cheating, that is not my intent and am sorry if anything that I have said was interpreted so. I was just using the Rub example that had been previously posted, to make a counterpoint, I was in no way trying to say he is a cheat in any way shape or form. Sorry

Can anyone explain to me how a contest could be rigged to favor a BOD member?
Or, any team for that matter.

Just curious.

TIM

I don't know how anyone can, any more than I think the guy putting caps on bottles rig a contest, but if Pepsi is running a contest to send someone to the Super Bowl not only is that guy ineligible, so is his whole family. Thats just how it is everywhere you look.
Google contest rules and let me know how many results you find that don't contain a phrase similar to the one I have posted. You aren't going to find many if any at all, organizations that allow directors, organizers, sponsor or officials paid or not to compete within their own organization, it just does not happen. The overwhelming vast majority go to great lengths to ensure that anyone even remotely involved with the parent organization in any way is excluded from competing.

Dustaway, I merely asked an objective question this morning. Who is "rub?" None have my posts have I mentioned anyone.

Ain't the Internet wonderful?? :lol:

This really goes beyond RUB (Swanp Boys).
4 (or so) of the current top ten TOTY members are BOD members or members elect.
That is simply because they are talented cooks who cook a lot of contests.
Nothing more and nothing less.

Tell ya what--there is a FBA contest in Bartow in about 3 weeks.
Drop by and hook up with a team for a few hours.

Or, come up to Elba, AL the same weekend and you can hang with me all weekend.

You have gotten some totally wrong impressions and the facts are much different.

On a side note, I have finished higher than RUB and several of the BOD teams this year.
I snuck in 2 RGCs while at it.
Last weekend, Foirrest (FBA Vice Pres.) took GC to my RGC by about 4 points.
The "conspirators" cut that one really close!
I guess the "vast conspirancy" is sloppy to let that happen :oops: :oops:

Come on out and learn the facts.

TIM

>but if Pepsi is running a contest to send someone to the Super Bowl not only is that guy ineligible, so is his whole

Because they're PAID to work for Pepsi. BOD's aren't paid. Who would serve on the
BOD, unpaid, if not a cook or judge?

> That's how it is everywhere you look.

Yes, if you're looking into the ranks of paid employees. Look to other organizations
where anyone serving is a volunteer. Classic case in point: CASI. ALL cooks on
the BOD. I can tell you first hand, the now President, Renee Moore is one fan-damn-
tabulous chili cook. I've placed 2nd to her 1st in MANY cookoffs... Not one time did
I think there was any funny-business going on.

Dustaway, I merely asked an objective question this morning. Who is "rub?" None have my posts have I mentioned anyone.

Rub is one of the Swamp Boys, if I had to guess. They tend to do pretty
good "down here"....

That's an invitation I'd jump on if you are looking at cooking in the future. You risk nothing other than gas $ and some time.

Please let me apologize if I have implied that I thought anyone was cheating, that is not my intent and am sorry if anything that I have said was interpreted so. I was just using the Rub example that had been previously posted, to make a counterpoint, I was in no way trying to say he is a cheat in any way shape or form. Sorry

I don't know how anyone can, any more than I think the guy putting caps on bottles rig a contest, but if Pepsi is running a contest to send someone to the Super Bowl not only is that guy ineligible, so is his whole . Thats just how it is everywhere you look.
Google contest rules and let me know how many results you find that don't contain a phrase similar to the one I have posted. You aren't going to find many if any at all, organizations that allow directors, organizers, sponsor or officials to compete within their own organization, it just does not happen, the vast majority go to great lengths to ensure that anyone even remotely involved with the parent organization in any way is excluded from competing.

Apples and Oranges.

That is simply because that person can influence the outcome.

Simply can not happen in KCBS or FBA contests.

When that BOD member is competing, they are simply a team who paid to be there, just like everyone else.
They have no special standing or influence--just that simple.

TIM

Ain't the Internet wonderful?? :lol:

This really goes beyond RUB (Swanp Boys).
4 (or so) of the current top ten TOTY members are BOD members or members elect.
That is simply because they are talented cooks who cook a lot of contests.
Nothing more and nothing less.

Tell ya what--there is a FBA contest in Bartow in about 3 weeks.
Drop by and hook up with a team for a few hours.

Or, come up to Elba, AL the same weekend and you can hang with me all weekend.

You have gotten some totally wrong impressions and the facts are much different.

On a side note, I have finished higher than RUB and several of the BOD teams this year.
I snuck in 2 RGCs while at it.
Last weekend, Foirrest (FBA Vice Pres.) took GC to my RGC by about 4 points.
The "conspirators" cut that one really close!
I guess the "vast conspirancy" is sloppy to let that happen :oops: :oops:

Come on out and learn the facts.

TIM
Tim, congrats on the RGC!

back on topic, some of the best times I have had in BBQ was spent hanging with some of them Florida folks. Chain, i would take tims offer of coming down to hang if I were you

I'd say that anyone who buys into the latest conspiracy theory should probably find a different hobby than BBQ contests. It's just not a black and white kind of thing and it never will be.

I don't know...with that crazy look you have....you might have been placed here by aliens:p:lol:

PS I'm just pissed because I can't grow a cool....whatever the fark that thing you are rocking is called:wink:

Muzzlebrake,

In the case of NEBS, for instance, NEBS does not organize, or run contests. NEBS does set guidelines to ensure that each and every contest will be run fairly and equally with other contests.

There are sometimes NEBS board members who are involved in the organization of events. That person is not allowed to enter his or her team into the event.

When this happens it is usually because we are a small, yet growing organization, and there just aren't that many people coming out of the woodwoork wanting to do it for us.

We do it to help grow the sport of competition barbecue, using the knowledge that we've accumulated over the years.

We also do it knowing full well that the event will be overseen by contest reps who are trusted completely to run the competition with the utmost of integrity.

When we're as big as NASCAR we'll make the necessary adjustments...give us time! :lol:

Back