BBQ Contest Conflict of Interest?

To answer Skip's question. I was standing near the turn-in tables as all the teams were coming up turning in their boxes and all of them had the label with the team names and a number on a white sticker label on top.

Ack. Thats not normal nor would i be pleased with that. In fact I think I would tear it off before anyone had a chance to see it. Thanks for clarifying

Heres the deal in the FBA

There have been couple of guys sjpeculating that Rub, Forrest, etc are winning because the reps/judges are cheating for them.

Simply not so.

#1.
We are blessed with board members who are active and talented cooks also.
Let me use Rub as an example since he is the defending and current TOTY leader and the FBA president.
Rub goes to the Jack this year and takes 1st place pork and 1st place brisket.
In 2008 he goes to the Best of the Best in Douglas and wins the Open and takes 3rd in the Invite.
In 2007 he goes to the Best of the Best in Douglas and wins 3rd in the Invite and 4th in the Open
He is always among the top at KCBS contests.
I'll betcha none of the judges or reps were impressed with his FBA office. :lol:

#2.
As to the name on the boxes--yes there is a sticker with team name and number on each box.
That is so the REPS can distrubute them accurately.
At the turn-in table that sticker is removed and one put on that only has a new number, no name. This is not the same number as the origonal one on the box.
The reps then assure that each team goes onto different tables for each catagory, as long as there are 4 or more tables.
It is quite a process and was demonstrated to us at the Lake City contest.

Yes it costs a ton of money to compete.

No, the judging is not rigged.

Hope this helps.

TIM

Thanks for the info Tim. I like to understand stuff before I jump into it! Maybe this coming year I can put a team together and start competing in the amateur division.

Swamp Boys did'nt win Brisket, The Info Merl Presented was incorrect, suprise, suprise...

There have been couple of guys sjpeculating that Rub, Forrest, etc are winning because the reps/judges are cheating for them.

Simply not so.

#1.
We are blessed with board members who are active and talented cooks also.
Let me use Rub as an example since he is the defending and current TOTY leader and the FBA president.
In 2008 he goes to the Best of the Best in Douglas and wins the Open and takes 3rd in the Invite.
In 2007 he goes to the Best of the Best in Douglas and wins 3rd in the Invite and 4th in the Open
I'll betcha none of the judges or reps were impressed with his FBA office. :lol:

#2.
As to the name on the boxes--yes there is a sticker with team name and number on each box.
That is so the REPS can distrubute them accurately.
At the turn-in table that sticker is removed and one put on that only has a new number, no name. This is not the same number as the origonal one on the box.
The reps then assure that each team goes onto different tables for each catagory, as long as there are 4 or more tables.
It is quite a process and was demonstrated to us at the Lake City contest.

Yes it costs a ton of money to compete.

No, the judging is not rigged.

Hope this helps.

TIM

I disagree with just about everyone here. I think that officials, organizers and sponsors should be barred from competing in contests that they have duties other than being a competitor.
I don't care what contest/raffle/sweepstakes whatever you "compete" in you usually will find wording such as " Employees of company X, its contest sponsor, advertising and promotional agencies and their respective affiliates and associates and such employees' immediate family members and persons with whom such employees are domiciled are excluded from this contest. ".
Its standard language in just about all contests, why is ours different? Would we allow Tony Stewart to be on the board of NASCAR or A-Rod be allowed to hold an office in the American League office? I don't think so.
If all of the things that everyone has said about any anonymity holds true why is there a rule about the judges staying away from teams? if the blind judging serves to keep sponsors, directors and organizers anonymous, why doesn't it work for the team a judge had breakfast with?

The Jack, KCBS and The Best Of The Best are not FBA contests, so there is no conflict of interest.
The president of an organization winning TOY would raise eyebrows in just about every competitive arena.
I am not doubting anyones integrity or ability but I think if you are looking at it objectively you can see how there amy be a conflict of interest. Hell take it one step beyond and look at your employment agreement at work, most large companies prohibit their employees from working in the same field while they are employed. Do you think that the NFL would allow Jerry Jones to be a referee?

Muzzle, I couldn't have said it better. You hit the nail on the head. Looking at it objectively, and not pointing fingers, it raises eyebrows that the team of the year happens to be the governing bodies President, treasurer, or owner.

The Jack, KCBS and The Best Of The Best are not FBA contests, so there is no conflict of interest.
The president of an organization winning TOY would raise eyebrows in just about every competitive arena.
I am not doubting anyones integrity or ability but I think if you are looking at it objectively you can see how there amy be a conflict of interest. Hell take it one step beyond and look at your employment agreement at work, most large companies prohibit their employees from working in the same field while they are employed. Do you think that the NFL would allow Jerry Jones to be a referee?

People who serve as board members and officers of barbecue organizations are not employees; they are volunteers and are not compensated for their service. There is no way a board member or officer has any advantage at a contest other than just being a better cook.

My observation, objectively speaking, is that if the "volunteers" aren't employees then they could compensate themselves with prize money by entering the competitions they are the governing body of.

People who serve as board members and officers of barbecue organizations are not employees; they are volunteers and are not compensated for their service. There is no way a board member or officer has any advantage at a contest other than just being a better cook.

I don't believe that they do have an advantage any more than I think if I would have an advantage on a given day that one of my friends who is a judge stopped by my site to have breakfast on the morning of turn ins.

I believe wholeheartedly in the process of blind judging and think that it works just fine. I do not think that anyone out there is fixing contests. I do think that the overwhelming majority of contests will ban anyone that has been or is affiliated with the sanctioning, organizing or administration of that contest.

Let me ask this, if the blind judging works so well why can't a team compete and judge? If reps aren't allowed to compete, why should the organizers?

Can anyone explain to me how a contest could be rigged to favor a BOD member?
Or, any team for that matter.

Just curious.

TIM

Can anyone explain to me how a contest could be rigged to favor a BOD member?
Or, any team for that matter.

Just curious.

TIM

Yeah, I'll second that. I'm on the NEBS BOD and, for the life of me, can't figure out any advantage on doing better at a contest because of it.

I lost all point of respect when you started pointing a finger at Rub. He is the last guy I would ever say is cheating. He is a honorable man and I would back any decision that Rub makes.

so for you to bring this up is a bunch of sour grapes. AND I can say that. I've competed against Rub this year in a KCBS contest that he beat me at and also at the Jack, which is a non-sanctioned event.

So I am sorry, go cry somewhere else. If you don't like it, don't compete. But don't point any fingers. :evil:

Amazingly enough, those that are most likely to feel the impact in the case of the FBA don't seem to mind. The members made their decision when they voted for their elected representatives. They chose to elect several cooks that they respected and trusted. It's their organization and they have every right to do whatever they want.

I don't know about you, but I'm in no position to second guess someone that has a pretty clear vested interest in the fairness of judging etc....

I don't believe that they do have an advantage any more than I think if I would have an advantage on a given day that one of my friends who is a judge stopped by my site to have breakfast on the morning of turn ins.

I believe wholeheartedly in the process of blind judging and think that it works just fine. I do not think that anyone out there is fixing contests. I do think that the overwhelming majority of contests will ban anyone that has been or is affiliated with the sanctioning, organizing or administration of that contest.

Let me ask this, if the blind judging works so well why can't a team compete and judge? If reps aren't allowed to compete, why should the organizers?

In KCBS contests, the organizer of a specific contest is not allowed to compete in the contest they are the organizer for; it is a rule from KCBS. If they are the organizer they would not have time to compete at their contest anyway. That same organizer may be a competition cook who does compete in other contests that he is not an organizer for. Reps who are repping a specific contest cannot compete in that contest (they wouldn't have time); however, many reps are also cooks who compete in contests that they do not rep. I see no problem with this. Board members and organization officers are not necessarily reps or organizers, although they may be both at one time or another. They are involved at a much higher level in the organization and don't have detailed involvement with individual contests. Why should they not be allowed to compete? A team cannot compete and judge at the same contest primarily of the potential appearance of any possiblity of that teams box landing on the judging table where a team member is judging. I have been to contests where team members of competing teams at that contest were used as table captains.

Back