BBQ Brethren Throwdown - "Pizza"

here's the view from the pizza!

pizzamarinara-016.jpg

I learned in Italy a few months ago, that it doesn't take many ingredients.
I also learned a couple weeks ago, I may never use pizza sauce again, and my pizzas may never see the inside of an oven.

A fresh Papa Murphy crust with olive oil and crushed garlic.
A little 3 blend cheese and Canadian bacon.
100_2782.jpg

Added some sweet peppers, scallions, red pepper flaeks, salt and cracked pepper.
100_2787.jpg

Topped with Mozzarella
100_2789.jpg

To prove it was cooked with wood.
100_2793.jpg

Done. I think this will be my entry shot.
100_2796.jpg

100_2797.jpg

This didn't last
100_2802.jpg

There's a lot of good lookin pie this week, they all look great. I have a small window Sunday to get one or two on the Weber. Not sure if they will be good enough for comp but, you guy's got pizza on my brain. Never done one on the weber though, always done them on the gasser right on the grate and turns out great, gonna have to try my stone from the oven on the weber.

Did 2 pizzas on the egg tonight.

Fresh basil from my aerogarden
477987516_fP5US-M.jpg

First pie ready to go in the egg. Same as rick's, dough, marinara, fresh mozzarella and basil.
477987349_Yhooe-M.jpg

and the finished product.
477987191_ShHdv-M.jpg

And the second pie was bbq sauce, mozzarella/cheddar cheese, chicken grilled on the egg and red onion.

477987249_TMByc-M.jpg

and the finished product.
477987077_fCuKa-M.jpg

I tried something different tonight. My wife had to work late so it was seafood time, so I made a seafood pizza. I wanted to keep it somewhat light so I borrowed an idea that i saw on a site with recipes for Weight Watchers. I use a 9" fat free flour tortilla for the crust, brushed it with basil pesto, layered on some caramelized onions, bell peppers and mushrooms. Then I added some artichoke hearts and some shredded low fat mozzarella and a little Parmesan and asiago. Then topped it off with fake crab legs (all I could find without spending $25/lb) and some cooked shrimp and baked it in Eggbert at 450 degrees for about 7 minutes. Nice crispy crust and very good flavor.

P6010025.jpg

P6010027.jpg

Great stuff Guyz!!!

One question... how many of the Brethren had worked in pizzarias in their checkered past? NTTAWWT... just some extreme examples here... Drooling here!

First try of a pizza on my UDG. Worked better then I thought it would.
Did my favorite pepperoni, canadian bacon and italian sausage. Put the cheese under the meat for the pron, did not think pics of cheese would be as good as pics of meat. First time doing that also, came out pretty good.

Attachments

• SG102431_2.jpg
    SG102431_2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 148
  • SG102446.jpg
    SG102446.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 148
  • SG102443_2.jpg
    SG102443_2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 147
Great stuff Guyz!!!

One question... how many of the Brethren had worked in pizzarias in their checkered past? NTTAWWT... just some extreme examples here... Drooling here!

Only as a delivery driver.

Did a few pizza’s on the gasser tonight
IMG_1971.jpg

One was a thin crust and the other was a rustic hand toughs’
IMG_1974.jpg

This is my entry pic for the pizza throwdown
IMG_1963.jpg

One question... how many of the Brethren had worked in pizzarias in their checkered past?
Not that you can tell from my entry, but I worked at one, both on the serving side of the house, and in the kitchen. Never made the dough though.

These all look great! If weather cooperates (not promising so far this morning) I'll get an entry in. Otherwise, it'll be oven-baked pizza for dinner.

There's a lot of good lookin pie this week, they all look great. I have a small window Sunday to get one or two on the Weber. Not sure if they will be good enough for comp but, you guy's got pizza on my brain. Never done one on the weber though, always done them on the gasser right on the grate and turns out great, gonna have to try my stone from the oven on the weber.

Did mine on leftover coals on the WSM last night. It definitely can not compete with what these guys have done. First pizza ever but wont be the last !!

Tried out two first time cooks yesterday. Spatchcocked chickens and smoked chicken pizza. I was inspired by LMAJ's buffalo chicken pizza but did not have enough coals to put a second pizza on the 22.5. When the chicken came off I had a hard time gettting the temps above 350. If I had added another funnel of K, I would have gotten it to 400-450 no prob but was in a hurry... So the crust wasnt as crispy as I had hoped.

birds
View attachment 24290

View attachment 24291

pulled and sliced chicken
View attachment 24292

really not as dry as it appears...
View attachment 24293

plenty of room on the 22.5...
View attachment 24294

View attachment 24295

had out the fine china for this cook!
View attachment 24296

Last edited:
homemade whole wheat crust with just pepperoni and cheese as toppings!

Picture447.jpg

Picture449.jpg

Mikeb, can you share that whole wheat crust recipe?.

here ya go!

1/4 cup warm water
1 Tbs of yeast
let this stand for 10 minutes

then add
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs olive oil
add whole wheat flour t'ill dry
separate in 3 for thin crust or 2 for thicker.
when separated spray with pam and let stand in warm place covered for no more then 1 hour!! (more then 1 hour and the dough will not roll out!)
i roll out the dough on parchement paper with a slightly oiled rolling pin
then i let it rise another 1 or so covered in a warm spot.

enjoy!

Here's my entry - Buffalo Chicken Pizza, multigrain crust on the Egg
Second picture is the one for throw down.

Attachments

• On the Egg.jpg
    On the Egg.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Buffalo Chicken.jpg
    Buffalo Chicken.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 101
Back