BBQ Brethren "Summer of SPAM" Throwdown!

Do you like SPAM?

• I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • As long as it doesn't have very much SPAM in it.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Lemon Curry?

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
NO! I haven't even tried to buy lobsters, yet. And, I don't know what "thermador" or "mornay" means. All I have, so far, is the SPAM and some eggs.

SUMMER IS NOT OVER!

CD

Exactly, I am waiting for my hot dog rotisserie to arrive. Er, Spamdog?

Outrageous!!!

I made this today for the SPAM Throwdown. I didn't get to take as many pics as usual so I will describe the process instead of just giving a pictorial.

I started with some cubed SPAM. You SPAM experts might notice that there are not enough chunks to correlate to an entire loaf of SPAM, and you are right. The rest is being used for something to be shown at serving time.
r_IMG_0896.jpg

Then I rubbed an aluminum half-pan with oil and added the SPAM cubes along with a chopped onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. I put this over direct heat on my Weber Kettle using lump charcoal, stirring occasionally until the vegetables started getting tender and the SPAM was just starting to brown on the corners. At that point I added a 1-1/2 cups of Chicken Broth (no salt), a can of Stewed Tomatoes and some seasoning. I cooked this over direct heat until the liquid started to boil.
r_IMG_0898.jpg

Then I added a cup of long grain rice (yes, there is rice in there).
r_IMG_0899.jpg

I moved this to indirect heat and covered with foil for about 25-30 minutes until the rice had absorbed all the liquid and become tender, adding some shrimp during the final minutes, and served it in a SPAM Bowl.
r_IMG_0900.jpg

It was really damn good!:thumb: The bowl was a little salty for my tastes, but it was still edible (the bowl was better with some hot sauce splashed on it:thumb:).

Think about smokin' the SPAM bowl next time. Or brown it up with a propane torch (a weed burner is NOT recommended for this operation!!)

SPAM BeDeviled Smoked Pickled Eggs

Made myself a little snack and a third entry in the Summer of SPAM Throwdown today using these....Smoked Pickled Eggs....
14.jpg

And the last of the Roasted Jalapeno and Grilled SPAM from yesterday.
I chopped them and I added some fresh Basil from the garden, a squirt of Honey Mustard, a dollop of Olive Oil Cracked Pepper Mayo, and the Egg Yellows...
Devild1.jpg

Mashed it all up with a fork and placed into the sliced Pickled Egg halves.
Topped off with some more chopped Basil and a sprinkle of Smoked Paprika.....Delightful!!!
Devild2.jpg

Seeing as how it has been over 2 days since we had any SPAM sightings in this thread, I felt I better share this.

I call it the Spammed In-N-Out Double Double Grandstand Kelly Style burger.

It is a 1/3 pound Beef patty with 2 slices of Provolone, another 1/3 pound beef patty for good measure with 2 slices of Havarti, a 1/4 slice of SPAM with 2 slices of Pepperjack, 4 slices of Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickle and Mayo, all put on a bun because someone might claim it's not a real burger without a bun.

It was larger than my mouth making it quite a messy experience. It was downright delicious though.:thumb:

r_IMG_0918.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing as how it has been over 2 days since we had any SPAM sightings in this thread, I felt I better share this.

It is a 1/3 pound Beef patty with 2 slices of Provolone, another 1/3 pound beef patty for good measure with 2 slices of Havarti, a 1/4 slice of SPAM with 2 slices of Pepperjack, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickle and Mayo, all put on a bun because someone might claim it's not a real burger without a bun.

It was larger than my mouth making it quite a messy experience. It was downright delicious though.:thumb:

r_IMG_0918.jpg

:shock:... Winner winner spammal dinner! :thumb:

It is a 1/3 pound Beef patty with 2 slices of Provolone, another 1/3 pound beef patty for good measure with 2 slices of Havarti, a 1/4 slice of SPAM with 2 slices of Pepperjack, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickle and Mayo, all put on a bun because someone might claim it's not a real burger without a bun.

r_IMG_0918.jpg

Damn, its 12:45am and I should be going to bed but now I am hungry. BTW, I think you left something out of your description between the pepperjack and the lettuce? FWIW, I had a Spam encounter of the third kind yesterday :rolleyes:

IMAG0318.jpg

I was just playing catch up here on the SpamTasticness of it all and saw N8Man's BananaSpamaJama!
Great Googly Moogly I Need Me Some Of Those!

Old World German Sauerkraut SPAM

What the heck?:confused: It's been like two whole days again with no SPAM sightings!:loco: You'd think people didn't eat it much or something!:becky: I guess everyone's all fixated on Chamber's brisket!:laugh:

So to fill the void, here is a dish I made for lunch today.

The main cast of characters...
r_IMG_0919.jpg

A little Butter, chopped Onion and SPAM...
r_IMG_0921.jpg

Sauteed over direct heat on my kettle grill using lump charcoal and a chunk of hickory.
r_IMG_0922.jpg

While that was sauteeing I chopped up the Pink Lady Apple and Red Potatoes, then added them to the pan and moved the pan to indirect heat.
r_IMG_0923.jpg

About 15 minutes later I gave it a good stir and then sprinkled on some crushed Red Pepper...
r_IMG_0924.jpg

...and also sprinkled on some Brown Sugar.
r_IMG_0925.jpg

Another 15 minutes later it was looking like this...
r_IMG_0926.jpg

I gave it a stir to get the smokey flavors mixed in there nice and good.
r_IMG_0927.jpg

After another 15 minutes the potatoes were tender and it was ready to come off the kettle.
r_IMG_0928.jpg

I gave it a good covering of some grainy Horseradish Mustard...
r_IMG_0929.jpg

...then stirred it all together like so.
r_IMG_0930.jpg

It was absolutely delicious!:thumb:
r_IMG_0933.jpg

Of course it was delicious! How can you go wrong with those ingredients? I won a TD with basically the same recipe except I used kielbasa instead of spam. Maybe good luck for you?

Back