THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you like SPAM?

• I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • As long as it doesn't have very much SPAM in it.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Lemon Curry?

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SPAM-a-Loppy Joe's

I started with a loaf of SPAM that had been smoked with Pecan wood.
r_IMG_0957.jpg

I sliced it up along with half an Onion and a Red, oOrange and Yellow Mini Sweet Pepper.
r_IMG_0958.jpg

I ran the smoked SPAM, Onion and Pepper through the grinder.
r_IMG_0959.jpg

I put this mixture in a pan over direct heat on my kettle grill.
r_IMG_0960.jpg

I let this cook up to tenderize and bring out the sweetness in the Onion and Pepper.
r_IMG_0961.jpg

I then sprinkled on some crushed Red Pepper and some Black Pepper (really, it's there).
r_IMG_0962.jpg

Then I added the Spammaloppy-Joe sauce, which is really just a Sweet Mustard Glaze.
r_IMG_0963.jpg

I stirred it together.
r_IMG_0964.jpg

And assembled it all on a cheap white Bun. This was the best picture I could get because I forgot to adjust my white balance!:doh:
r_IMG_0965.jpg

I had the camera of the flourescent lighting setting the whole time!:shock:

Not that it really would have looked a whole lot better perhaps...but the colors are definitely off.

The second one I made I put a pickle on it. It was a nice touch.:thumb: Except for maybe the sodium.

You can't quit yet!!!:shock:

I've got too many things left on my list. If I don't get all this out of my system now...I might have to do this again later!:twisted:

I have the winning entry here, at least I believe that at the moment. I cannot release this entry until right before the closing bell on Friday 9/23 at 4:05am Central US Time.

Stand by... It will knock your socks off, or maybe smell like socks, I dunno know...:tape2:

So, it is hot as hell here, and I am on the BBQ Brethren forum, and I start to get hungry. I am already getting a 10 pound butt ready to smoke tomorrow, so I am just going to use what I have on hand to make dinner tonight. And, I've been drinking since 3:00 this afternoon.

Well, I have some good Gulf shrimp in the freezer, so I look for what I can do with them. I'm thinking skewers. Okay, what do I have to go with the shrimp? Well, I have some red onion..... and there is this half a can of SPAM leftover from my redneck fish and chips throwdown entry. Did I mention I'd been drinking?

Okay, so I start to think that SPAM and shrimp skewers might be a good idea for another "Summer of SPAM" entry. So I put some perfectly good shrimp at risk, just because I've been hanging out with bigabyte too long, and his mental illness has spread to me.

But, I have to say, shrimp, SPAM and red onions are actually a good combination, especially when dipped into a spicy stone-ground mustard. You actually have to have all three in one bite, dipped in the mustard. The SPAM and shrimp really balance each other out, and the onion and mustard really round out the bite for flavor and texture.

Who'd of thunk it?

So, here is yet another SPAM "creation."

CD

Attachments

• Spam2-001.jpg
    Spam2-001.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Spam2-002.jpg
    Spam2-002.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Spam2-003.jpg
    Spam2-003.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 110
On the lighter side of Spam (if there is one) I offer what I like to call Spamatouille.

I grilled some scallops seasoned with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Some potatoes seasoned with salt and pepper and some Spam seasoned with only black pepper. The scallops took a lot of attention and I forgot to get a pic of them on the grill.

picture.php

I made a light citrus vinaigrette with some white wine vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper, and honey. Then, tossed up a salad and arranged all of the components on a plate.

This is the Spamatouille for two. I served it with the vinaigrette on the side. The citrus flavor went well with the scallops and the Spam. It was a pretty good dish and my wife ate all of her half too!

Spamatouille: Grilled Scallops with Grilled Spam, Grilled Potatoes, Fresh Tossed Salad, and Citrus Vinaigrette.

picture.php

Last edited:
Back