THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Since Jeff "blue collar comedy" Foxworthy endorsed Mitt "some of my best friends own NASCAR teams" Romney, I decided to make my Pi for Pi day in the tradition of people who did work that neither of those multimillionaires ever even heard of.

In the tradition of 1920s immigrant laborers, I took what I had on hand (I did not go out and buy anything for this), and made some meat pies, for the Pi throwdown.

I had some puff pastry and some breakfast sausage in the freezer -- stuff I bought on sale. I always have onions, eggs, and spices on hand. So I mixed the sausage, onions, and an egg, with a little bit of bread crumbs -- also always in the pantry -- and rolled out the puff pastry, and made some good, old-fashioned meat pies that a working man can eat with his hands, from a brown paper bag.

picture.php

Once I got the meat pies stuffed and sealed, I fired up the redhead, and set up for indirect cooking, with two layers of foil on the cool side for the Pis.

picture.php

Once they were golden brown, I did a probe for temperature, and they were right on the "money," so off they came.

Served up on a brown paper bag, as it should be.

picture.php

I made four, and ate three. I am stuffed. They were so good. I'll have to eat rabbit food for two days to offset these meat pies.

CD

Mmmm, meat cake. Kind of reminds me of "The pig candied, deep fried Twinkie and pepper jelly stuffed, Bacon SPAM fatty loaf cake". :thumb:

Since this is PI week, we decided to make some Pizza Pies!

The Missus made up some dough on Sunday, which we put in the fridge so it could do a nice long cold rise. We actually used Zippylip's cold rise dough recipe, which you can read about HERE.

Early last evening, I took out the dough so it could sit for a few hours and come up to room temp. We made enough dough for two large pizzas:

DSC_0749.jpg

When the dough was up to room temp, we fired up the FrankenWeber pizza kettle, and The Missus and our neighbor friend manned the Kettle while I assembled the pizzas. We seem to have found the "magic" temp for the pizza kettle when we use regular AP flour, which is about 675 degrees.

11162012KettleFiringUp.jpg

First up was a pesto pizza. After hand tossing and stretching the dough:

DSC_0750.jpg

Topped with fresh homemade pesto:

DSC_0751.jpg

Then added some leftover rotisserie chicken, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, and a bit of fresh mozzarella:

DSC_0752.jpg

Then into the kettle so it could cook:

DSC_0754.jpg

While the pesto pizza was cooking, I started on the next pie, a Pizza Napoletana, which is a simple pizza with crushed San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, with a touch of oregano:

DSC_0756.jpg

After both pies had cooked, we added some fresh basil to the Pizza Napoletana:

DSC_0758.jpg

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

Both pies were great, although the Pizza Napoletana was favored by all. We really liked this dough - it had a really good flavor and the outer crust had a good crisp that gave way to a lovely inner chew. The only thing we're going to change is to add about 25% more salt. Other than that, this dough is a keeper and thanks to Zippylip for sharing this great dough recipe.

Last pic for TD entry, prease!

Hey CD, if you really wanted to make a liveral meat Pi you should have used some liveral govt hand out cheese. :heh:

All joking aside I would hit that hard. :thumb:

BTW, for the non whack-a-doodles in here who don't know, we whack-a-doodles have a right-winger vs. liveral running gag on the forum -- and the irony of Jeff Foxworthy endorsing Mitt Romney was too good to pass up.

Don't withhold your vote for me because your political opinions are different. :becky: In other words: Wrong.

CD

Back