BBQ Brethren "Bones Gone Wild" Throwdown!

Beef Ribs

These are the Beef Ribs my wife emailed me about on Friday, got to cook them on Saturday.

picture.php

Rubbed them with a little EVOO, kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and a little bit of red pepper flakes..

picture.php

On the smoker, smoked them at 250 for 5 hours, also did ABT's and a Spam loaf too, no pictures of them on the smoker though.

picture.php

Here's it all before plating, the round cheesy things are Phrasty's Muffin Potatoes (very good!), they didn't go on the smoker because they cook at 400. Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126839

picture.php

Here's my plate...

picture.php

Use this one for the Throwdown please :grin:

picture.php

Tender Kentucky-Style Lamb Shanks

Ok guys, I've been wanting to enter a throwdown for sometime. I finally caught a day when the weather decided to co-operate. Low to mid 40's with a light breeze.

This is is my first entry on the throwdowns. I would ask for you to take it easy on me, but I think I already know better then to hope for that. I am very much an amateur with the photography, any advice gladly accepted.

Received this as a gift from my wife a couple of weeks ago:
DSC_0151.JPG

I wanted to try something from the book, and asked one of the author's on another thread on this site where I should start. The lamb shanks were one of his suggestiongs.

DSC_0163.JPG

Lamb shanks trimmed and seasoned. Some real work involved here as there was a lot of silver skin to be removed.

DSC_0169.JPG

After two hours at 250 at lid. 18" WSM, smoked with hickory.

DSC_0177.JPG

Final two hours steamed in an "American Lager" plus "Tangy Lamb Dipping Sauce."

DSC_0188.JPG

First plated pic. The wife (who does not like lamb) raved!

DSC_0185.JPG

Entry pic.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
So I was at Sam's Club last night, looking for ribs, or some other nice hunk of meat with bones in it. Then I saw this bag of fresh frozen, gutted and scaled Tilapia. I thought to myself, "Self, this has bones in it"!:whoo: It's also Friday today, and all the kids these days are eating Fish on Fridays, so I figure I better join in too.

I started the fish on the hot side of the grill...
R_IMG_1359.jpg

Then I finished it up on the cooler side.
R_IMG_1361.jpg

Some shots of the fish, complete with head, just for Gore...
R_IMG_1366.jpg

R_IMG_1362.jpg

I figured some peppers would go well with this...
R_IMG_1369.jpg

R_IMG_1372.jpg

I also made a sauce with some Butter, Brown Sugar, a healthy dose of Southern Comfort, and some Dijon Mustard. Don't worry, this sauce was home made and did not come from a jar or a can.
R_IMG_1374.jpg

It was pretty good, and indeed had bones in it.
R_IMG_1378.jpg

I also cooked some fish, but the bones on my fish were much nicer than that other guy's fish :roll: Since mine were so big and meaty, I decided to enter them here as well. So, here's the story: My wonderful wife asked if she could pick something up for me for the Throwdown to cook. I thought that sounded like a wonderful idea. When I got home, I found that she picked up some some beautiful filets. I have no idea what kind of fish it was, but they were really thick and meaty. The bones were big too, so no chance of swallowing one of those and dying. I seasoned them up for cooking with some Foil Hat Rub.

IMG_4797-1.jpg

I figured this was such a special fish, that I'd make a special sauce for it also. Here are most of the ingredients. I actually decided against the cinnamon and used cocoa instead. I also borrowed a clear thickener from my wife. Sure beat the cornstarch I was going to use.

IMG_4811.jpg

Note on the far left is a can of Guinness. That is also some wonderful homemade cider vinegar. It's very smooth and has a bit of alcohol in it too. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the sauce I made, but it was very dark and clear. I was very lazy taking pictures, although I did get a picture of a fish drawn by the girls. I think they were feeling the Throwdown spirit.

IMG_4806.jpg

In fact, I didn't even take any picture of the fish while it was cooking. The cooking times were varied as in addition to the filets, there was also a whole fish, head and all. It took a very long time to get this to cook properly. I actually cooked this fish for two full hours with oak for smoke. It wasn't done, so I ended up foiling it for nearly two more hours. Finally I said to heck with this. I took that fish out of the foil, sauced it and threw it on for another 15 minutes or so. I know you all like to see fish heads, so I'm using the whole fish, head and all, as my entry pic. I hope you're not too disgusted.

IMG_4821.jpg

The sauce must've been really unique as this tasted like no other fish I have ever had before. It was really good though, as you can see from this picture.

IMG_4831.jpg

It was so good, in fact, that I even went back and ate the head. :shock:

IMG_4831.jpg

Well done Gore... :thumb:

I've done something similar and if left in the foil just a little longer the bones turn to gelatin and melt into the meat. :becky:

Well, it looks like someone got his weeks messed up. We had a Throwdown plan but a certain someone got a wee bit confused. Well, it's nothing I can't straighten out. I'm sure you'd all believe me if I told you this kind of thing happens all the time. :roll: So, back to the original plan.... I went to the store to pick up some ribs. Yes, someone even said that would be a good idea, but seemed to forget all about that afterward. :roll: I'm afraid all those fish puns may have affected his brain. We rolled up a nice rack and tied them and seasoned with Foil Hat, and the inside was lined with sausage.

IMG_4793.jpg

I wasn't sure if that would be enough bones for you, so I grilled a T-bone sans meat. This is probably a bit unusual even for us.

IMG_4839.jpg

The ribs were cooked with a nice glaze. Then began the assembly. We finished with a homemade Belgian style ale for this one (we may have meatless bones but the house of e-gore always has homemade beer)

4862a.jpg

Thanks for looking!

...I'm sure you'd all believe me if I told you this kind of thing happens all the time. :roll: ...I'm afraid all those fish puns may have affected his brain.
Oh, is there a fish thing going on?:confused:

This is probably a bit unusual even for us.
Well, at least now it's not any more!:becky:

This is absolutely amazing. Maybe even an improvement on the old one.

Pros: Ribs. I mean, come on, how is that not a bonus?

Cons: I'm not sure the handle on this one is edible.

I would buy one.:thumb:

I saw a few other cross-posts in the throwdowns. I posted this in Q-Talk and then in the cooked with booze TD. I guess it fits here too, so what the hell. here is a tripple post :clap2:
I will just post the pics and leave the rest on the original thread.

These are my first ribs in the UDS.
Apple wood. RO Lump, Oakridge competition and HDD. followed up with Roxy's Rib Glaze.

for more details, follow the thread above.

Enjoy, I did :grin:
SANY2773-1.jpg

SANY2774-1.jpg

SANY2779-1.jpg

SANY2780-1.jpg

SANY2781-1.jpg

SANY2782-1.jpg

SANY2784-1.jpg

SANY2795-2.jpg

SANY2796-1.jpg

SANY2797-1.jpg

SANY2799.jpg