BBQ Brethren "Asian" Throwdown

No, dog would be kuroinu or shiroinu depending on the breed.

I been doing a lot of yakking, here is a shot of char siu ribs, it is my entry until I cook something better looking.
P1190027.jpg

I went to Korea on business late last year. Tonight, I attempted to replicate the Korean BBQ that I had while there.

I bought approximately five pounds of Beef Short Ribs and trimmed off the bone and fat cap.

DSC_0315.jpg

I sliced the ribs on a bias into 1/2" to 3/4" slices and then pounded them down to 1/4" ish with a hammer. The ribs were marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sugar, garlic, green onions and a whole medium apple (all blended in the food processor).

DSC_0316.jpg

I fired up the WSM in grill mode. I started a chimney full of lump charcoal and dumped it on one side of the grill when it was good and ready. I cooked the first half of the rib meat and moved it over to the cold side while I cooked the second half.

DSC_0367.jpg

After taking the meat off the grill, I served it just as I had seen it in Korea - lettuce, kimchi, steamed rice and kalbi beef ribs.

DSC_0369.jpg

Please use the last photo for the throwdown.

My entry is... Masaman Chicken with a side of Thai Noodles on Grilled Romaine and Pork Satay. Masaman Chicken is a kind of Thai Stew made with Chicken, onion, potato, carrot, and peppers and peanuts in a coconut curry.
Ingredients.jpg

Browning.jpg

SIMMER.jpg

SIDES.jpg

Plate1.jpg

The Last Pic is my entry.

uh oh.

hey jeorge, what were the camera settings on the first ingredient shot?

uh oh my simple dish is too simple to compete.

what aperture and shutter. reflective cards? go on :shock:

Oh!

OK but this might get bumped... F4 @ 1/60th of a second. Reflective cards are silver mylar on a chip board stock.

Here's the deal, I've directed a lot of food photography and I know what it takes but I don't have the equipment. You need a good soft light source high and slightly behind and a little fill light from the front above the camera and what set it off is just a sharp focused light that just skims the top of the food. Now try getting that with halogen kitchen lights 2 reflective cards and a flashlight. My stomach wins over the photo every time!

1st Throwdown Entry

Hi All,

Who remembers my thread on that Bolar Blade??? No-one??

Well, anyway, I got some good hints on how to Q it, so I decided to combine themes for the Asian Throwdown.

My entry is "Asian BBQ Slow Smoked Beef, with Cold Udon Noodle Salad and BBQ Prawn Fried Rice" Here's the pics.

These are just some of the ingredients for the injection.
Bolar_25.jpg

Here's the injection ready for reduction.

Bolar_27.jpg

Here's the whole bolar blade after injection. It was then refrigerated overnight.
Bolar_29.jpg

Put the fire on at 10 am next day, and drained off the excess injectate and reserved this for the sauce and the mop. Next photo is about 3/4 through the smoke after some nice mopping and smoking. Very happy with the colour at this stage. Smoker was at about 210F. Internal temp 150F
Bolar_36.jpg

Below, some of the ingredients for the noodle salad.
Bolar_55.jpg

Here's the prawn done on a traditional Chinese Sizzle Plate over the firebox of the COS.
Bolar_47.jpg

Here come the money shots...
Beef was smoked up to temp of 177F. I could not get it much higher than that as time was running late and I would have had to add more wood. As a result, it was more a roast than a "pull" but still seriously tender and succulent all the same.

Bolar_63.jpg

Bolar_64.jpg

Bolar_70.jpg

Bolar_67.jpg

Bolar_57.jpg

Bolar_60.jpg

The Gravy was made solely from the reduced meat juices collected through the smoke.
Bolar_69.jpg

Here's the last plated shot. Sorry the presentation here is a bit ordinary, but we were all getting pretty hungry by then:
Bolar_74.jpg

I'm not sure what picture to use as the proper "judgement" photo, so I'll leave it up to the judges.

Anyway, this was a fantastic meal and soooo much fun to do. I've never done an 8hour smoke before, so considering.... It came out pretty good. The asian injection and mop really came through in the flavour. There were no complaints from the family....

Thanks For Looking!

Cheers!:grin:

Ask Bigabyte, he won't steer you wrong. :biggrin:

I second that! Bigabyte's advice is as good as Shawn's in my book! :biggrin: Uh, where is Shawn? Did she go on vacation with Phubar again? Hey Phube, did Shawn help you out with that yummy meal?

Back