Bare Bones BBQ Contest

G$

is One Chatty Farker
That may get folks fired up. Personally, I think it is about 80% interesting.

Josh Ozersky in the cited article said:
I am therefore founding the Bare Bones BBQ Contest, an all-natural, back-to-basics, IROC-style skill contest. It is for master barbecuers only. No special equipment is required, or allowed. This will be a purist’s contest, animistic and fundamentalist, with each cooker given identical smokers to cook on, IROC-style, along with a pile of wood, a bag of charcoal, and some meat. They bring seasonings and a thermometer and their skill in cooking. That’s it.

http://www.rachaelray.com/blogs/index.php/2012/05/07/the-bare-bones-bbq-a-contest-and-a-manifesto/

Rumor has it, that this is a real contest happening Sept 22nd in Oakland at the Eat Real festival.

$5,000.00 winner take all.

Manifesto of Bare Bones (sanctioning body) below.

I like it.

Manifesto of Bare Bones

BARBECUE, primal and profound, has been corrupted. Its essential elements are wood, meat, fire, and smoke, in a state of encounter with a barbecuer. That connection is simple and sacred, an unbroken continuity based on skill, patience, intuition, and desire. It is is uniquely and universally human, and an art that is essential to the human experience. It comes out of Eden; and it returns us to that uncorrupted state, if only for a few hours. It does not and should not require pellets, propane, vacuumn tumblers, or aluminum foil. Those objects have rightly been called crutches and, at best, are impediments and obstacles in the union between barbecuer and barbecue, between the art of cooking and the food we eat.

To go back to basics; to promote true cooking and true eating; and to give real masters of barbecue cookery a clearing to test and show their skill, in a fair and even playing field: for all these reasons Meatopia and Eat Real have joined forces to create the Bare Bones Barbecue Competition, to promote true natural barbecue and the deep arts of cooking it. The key principles are as follows:

All entrants will be issue identical “stick burning” offset-firebox smokers and cast-iron
pans and trays as requested. There will be NO garnish used.

No manufactured materials of any kind are allowed to teams, including but not limited to
aluminum foil, bluetooth-equipped digital thermometers, meat glue, etc.

All meat must be all-natural, antibiotic- and hormone-free, and from a certified
cruelty-free manufacturer. Meat, setup, and fuel will all be inspected before cooking
begins.

The Bare Bones BBQ movement is presented not as a condemnation of contemporary barbecue practice, but instead as a celebration of the art of barbecue cooking, distilled down to its purest principles. We welcome all existing barbecue organizations to adopt our protocols, and we welcome all sanctioning requests.

Offset pits and steel pipe is a new fangled thing, give em a bunch of bricks and a few racks, cook over a direct fire. They do it every year at Cochon, no manufactured pits, everything is with real fires in block or open pits.

Offset pits and steel pipe is a new fangled thing, give em a bunch of bricks and a few racks, cook over a direct fire. They do it every year at Cochon, no manufactured pits, everything is with real fires in block or open pits.

Good point.
A cinderblock pit would be simple & cheap.

However, the organizer(s) have appeared to have settled on offsets as the pit of choice. So who am I to argue?

I'll cook on whatever they issue me. :biggrin1:

Back