Bare Bones BBQ Ft. Gates Tx.

Bludawg

somebody shut me the fark up.
Today I had the opportunity to visit a new BBQ joint in Ft Gates on St Hwy 36. Bare Bones BBQ's much awaited opening was during last week of February. I gave it ample time for the newness to wear off before visiting today. I waited until after 1 pm and I was surprised to see the parking lot still 1/2 full. There was no smell of smoke in the air and no piles of wood to be seen two things that I deem necessary for a good joint to have. So I was skeptical as I got out of the truck. Upon entering I was surprised to see a meat market featuring some very nice Beef at reasonable prices along with in house rope and link sausage Czech, jalapeno & cheddar, as well as hot links. Menu prices are by the pound or various plates and sandwich combos, Sides are tater salad, mac & cheese and a few others that slip my mind, I did hear on patron( a sweet old woman) mention that the tater salad need more eggs. I wasn't here for sides I was here for the main attraction BBQ, as I stepped to the order station I was eying the By the Lb section. I chose a 1/4 lb of moist Brisket 1/4 lb of the Czech sausage and 3 Pork ribs (they serve St. Louis cut) my order came out in about 5 minutes all meat was cut out of site something I don't like and served on a Porcelain plate I prefer butcher paper along with three slices of white bread and pickles & sliced onion. All for 17.95.
I seated my self in a booth next to the window to behold the bounty. The ribs where a nice mahogany color, the sausage as well. The brisket was sliced very thin. All meats where cooked to perfection. The Ribs bit cleanly from the bone and where moist and as tender as a mothers love. The Sausage had a nice snap and squirted as you bit into it. The Brisket was tender and moist. Now for the Bad news..... Everything was VERY under seasoned and devoid of Smoke flavor although there was a smoke ring present . The brisket tasted like bland roast beef, The ribs tasted like roast pork I sampled a little of the house BBQ sauce hoping to improve things, and I was greeted with sweet dressed up ketchup:shocked: the sausage was the best item on the plate only because it at least had seasoning in it.. They are using a Southern pride pit which explains much as for the proper cooking as well as the lack of Smoke on the food. In CenTex I at least expect a healthy dose of salt & pepper rub on my bbq, theres no excuse for under seasoning. I was not impressed and I would rank it Far Below Dicky's in terms of BBQ. I don't believe I will be back here to eat but I will buy some meat from time to time.

Back