Bandera - End of the line?

Jay,
We I was working, We built tanks that held explosives for the mines (5000 gallons at a time) these were double walled with insulation between the walls to keep the tanks warm for more bang :twisted: . Could you take your small model and use 10/12ga material (I'm not sure what your currently using) and put some sort of insulation in the middle of the walls to help with the cost and weight issues?

kcquer said:
I would say 24 by 24 for the smoker
My home oven racks are 18x24 and seem very adequate for most cooking needs, particularly in a vertical arrangement where you can have lots of shelves. A 4' high smokebox instead of the stock 3' would be nice as would a taller firebox to allow a properly designed charcoal basket that would allow for top down burning instead of a linear fashion. To me the grilling space is totally optional and the top of the firebox would be better off sealed shut.

Making the smokebox dimensions so it could utilize off-the-shelf oven racks would also tend to keep it cost-effective. Ain't no way that I can justify the price of a BYC.

And a optional/supplemental propane burner

kcquer said:
and the top of the firebox would be better off sealed shut.
Scott, wouldn't that hinder access to the charcoal basket and make clean-out more difficult? I understand your point on heat retention.

tommykendall said:
I'd suggest we all agree on one standard set of design specs.

Thats funny.

All agree.

You willing to miss a flight on that discussion?

jeffsasmokin said:
kcquer said:
and the top of the firebox would be better off sealed shut.
Scott, wouldn't that hinder access to the charcoal basket and make clean-out more difficult? I understand your point on heat retention.

I agree! I love being able to open the top. My big one at the restaurant does not open from the top and I am always wishing it was.

I got mine

spicewine said:
How much do you guys pay for one of these? I am thinking about making an offset that is insulated at an affordable price. I need your input to make this happen. It won't need any Mods. to make it work right.

I got mine (Bandera) at Academy Sports for about $189 or so...maybe a bit less.

Also, gotta keep the lid on the firebox and keep it on the side. I use this as my grill for burgers and steaks when not smoking. Not enough room on a small patio for a dedicated grill and smoker. Actually, this was one of the major aspects of the 'dera that convinced me to buy one...the adjustable racks on the fire box for doubling as a grill.

cayenne

Heath wrote:
I agree with the size things. I would say 24 by 24 for the smoker. Fire box bigger

I agree with Heath on the size. I was thinking the same size smoke chamber. I like the offset firebox, but Heath has an idea that might work. Killer wheels, baffles, dual firebox dampers, taller chamber size, etc. Of course, I'm just an electrician.

Scott, wouldn't that hinder access to the charcoal basket and make clean-out more difficult?
The basket/firegrate should slide out, I don't know once started why you would need acess to the basket. Cleanout is best done thru the door anyway. What would seem to be hindered acess because it would be on the 'dera's way too short firebox. I never open the lid on either smokers firebox once the cook starts except to vent excess heat, it just lets heat out and causes fluctuations in temp that aren't necessary.

Well, if it's any consolatiion, I spoke with one of the Brinkman people yesterday about the BSKD and they told me that the model will be around for a long time. And, they'll have repair parts for it for many years after it's gone. There are parts out there to make the BSKD probably just as good as the NBBD. I'm working on it now before I even fire it up the first time.

JTMcD

Back