Are you a charcoal hoarder?

Thank your hoarders for making me feel a bit more normal lol.

All I can get my hands on right now is KBB or Walmarts own briquettes brand. There is no lump around and it's annoying. I've been pretty vocal against KBB because of the smell and extreme amount of ash it leaves behind, but I'm kind of stuck using it right now because nothing else is available locally.

So yeah...I'd gladly horde some lump charcoal if I could find any.

I've been through some absolutely bottom of the barrel charcoal products in my 'deal hunting' stages. The Walmart branded 'Expert Grillexpert grill' is without a doubt the worst quality charcoal I've ever purchased. Should have been expected for the base price of $5-6 for 16 lbs.

This 2x18lbs for $8.88 RO briquette deal at Walmart was kinda crappy quality, but for the price it was awesome when it was around. Intended to get more this summer, but COVID seemed to have put a damper on that in the recent months. Only thought to check back now which shows it in stock locally. Might pick up some more in the near future.

I’d prefer to think of myself as an “opportunistic purchaser”. :razz:

Bit hard to see but there’s 12 bags of Weber, 4 B&B, and somewhere down there is 3/4 bags of Cowboy.

**sorry for the rotated pic/-posting from my phone**

Attachments

• 286B00E3-41AE-46F5-AC4A-769F048B6030.jpg
    286B00E3-41AE-46F5-AC4A-769F048B6030.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 83
My name is Larry and I'm a charcoal horder.

I usually buy a years worth on Memorial Day weekend when it's an amazing price. This year there was a down side to this. We decided to sell our house and move to Texas so I ended up giving away well over 100 pounds of Kingsford.

My name is Larry and I'm a charcoal horder.

I usually buy a years worth on Memorial Day weekend when it's an amazing price. This year there was a down side to this. We decided to sell our house and move to Texas so I ended up giving away well over 100 pounds of Kingsford.

So, on your Memorial Day weekend stock-up, do you always buy Kingsford (I’m assuming original/blue bag)?

So, I’m approaching 2 bags of charcoal briquettes left. One 16 lb bag of Kingsford original and one 20 lb bag of Weber. Did some sniffing around town to see if I could find 2-3 bags of Weber. Not a chance. It seems all that is available to me locally is Kingsford original at Walmart. Been using Kingsford original all summer (except for one bad incident of using cheap royal oak) and was looking forward to giving others brands a good try, in particular Weber.

I'm not, but starting to wish I was. Normally use royal oak lump, which is getting hard to find. Can get big green egg lump but it's expensive like 3x the royal oak cost and it's pretty much the same quality imo.

About a week and a half ago I read a thread here about brethren having a hard time finding charcoal so I picked up a few bags. This is the most I've ever had at one time and should last me through the winter. (there is another full bag outside with my grill) I have about 300lbs of pellets on hand as well.
nCWbxgel.jpg

charcoal

I'm set for awhile HD was $4 a bag last year.. Should have gotten more.Great for over nights, in my WSM
DanB

Attachments

• IMG_20190117_102449965_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190117_102449965_HDR.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 86
Wow....I managed to snag these at my local hardware store today. last 3 bags on the shelf. Am I a hoarder now?

EyBlvEph.jpg

Last edited:
Hey folks, my name is onemanlan and I am a charcoal hoarder

2019 Haul - Lasted a bit over a year. All from Summer Walmart sale.
Eventually it flexed in that make shift table. Oops.

IMG_0845.jpg

2020 Haul - Missing 2 of 4 bags of Ridge I just picked up
5EShcNC.jpg

I normally keep about 6 bags of Weber on hand, but when I get the $5.00 off cupon from Ace I go and grab another.

Any chance you have a link to get this $5 coupon from Ace?

I'm down to 4 bags of the Weber briquettes and 80# of quality lump.

I've been using the RO Ridges from Lowe's for the basics. I believe it's currently $4.98 for a 16# bag, normally $7.98 a bag.

I was in an Oklahoma group of about 8 guys that would buy 2 to 3 pallets of Wicked Good a year. I would take home 10 to 15 bags. If I see a deal, I will stock up.

Back