Are you a charcoal hoarder?

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
Do you have a minimum amount of charcoal you reach before you buy more? Or do you always have to have X amount on hand to feel warm and fuzzy inside? Or do you just buy it as you see it on sale?

Myself, I don’t really hoard. But this summer One time I bought 4-5 bags at once due the shortage.

Right now I’m down to two 16 lb bags of Kingsford original and one 20 lb bag of Weber briquettes. I’m not really looking to buy unless say I see a great deal. When I get down to about a bag or a bag and a half I’ll start looking for more.

Last edited:
I will buy a few extra bags if I find a good clearance price (last time, Weber briqs @3.90/bag). Basically, I keep 2-3 bags on hand.

I will buy a few extra bags if I find a good clearance price (last time, Weber briqs @3.90/bag). Basically, I keep 2-3 bags on hand.

Those Weber briquettes at $3.90/bag. How many lbs was in each bag? Where I am we pay $20 CAN for a 20 lb bag.

Those Weber briquettes at $3.90/bag. How many lbs was in each bag? Where I am we pay $20 CAN for a 20 lb bag.

I think it was a couple of years ago, 20 lb. bags, Home Depot was discontinuing them. I found out about it here and a lot of brethren loaded up all over the country.

Yes, but I've dialed it back once I found out how leaky my basement is on a regular basis. Ended up molding a few bags last year due to my hording of sale charcoal. Now I try to limit it to 4-5 bags that I know I'll use within a few months. If I see sales I dial back my enthusiasm a bit. Probably for the best.

I generally let sales steer my charcoal purchasing.

Yes, but I've dialed it back once I found out how leaky my basement is on a regular basis. Ended up molding a few bags last year due to my hording of sale charcoal. Now I try to limit it to 4-5 bags that I know I'll use within a few months. If I see sales I dial back my enthusiasm a bit. Probably for the best.

I generally let sales steer my charcoal purchasing.

I store mine in the garage as it’s the only place I got to store that stuff. It’s nice and dry in there, not too humid.

Biggest mistake I've made in a while, I found a Home Depot with 25 bags of Weber when it was on sale for $4 .

And I only bought 10 bags cuz that was all I could fit on a shopping basket.

Hell, I shud've backed up the truck to the front door and got all 25. That stuff is good charcoal.

I've regretted that ever since.

I’ve always been a lump charcoal cook until I picked up a couple bags of Kingsford briquettes with applewood a couple months ago. Now I’m buying up the few bags of apple, pecan, cherry and hickory that I can find.

I do big bbqs (when there isn’t COVID) so I usually stock up during the Three summer holiday sales. I usually have 1/2 dozen to a dozen bags on hand at any time. There is usually a really good sale on soda around April/May. I usually stock up for the summer.
I didn’t buy any of either this year.

I don't hoard...
d4e205e4140af8bc4a7318151b66b6de.jpg
a49c4a425bba4efb7e4c74774e6ceb8c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I try to buy in winter for the season. Don't know why, but 20 bags never seems to get me through. Seems like a good number to buy though!

I don't really look at it as hoarding since its something I use regularly. I bought 18 bags of lump charcoal (324lbs) about 1.5yrs ago for $3.99 bag and it ran out last week.

I use about an 18lb bag of uber cheap briqs per week. When they were on sale I bought about 56 bags. Felt good knowing that I wouldn't be running out for at least a year.

I use about an 18lb bag of uber cheap briqs per week. When they were on sale I bought about 56 bags. Felt good knowing that I wouldn't be running out for at least a year.

Nice bulk purchase! Color me envous.

I find it difficult because I enjoy hunting out charcoal deals & maximizing my return(on # of cooks). If I'm stocked on sale charcoal I have a strange internal debate when encountering additional sale charcoal on needing vs wanting that goes on. Kills me every time.

Part of me wants every different charcoal product to try. The other part of me sees charcoal as charcoal. Some better some worse, but generally they can all get you where you need to go.

Back