THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just had the chance to listen and for an outsider to a certain degree, (member for only 2 years), this seems pretty shady. One could make assumptions that Candy was approached by a large company for some type of preliminary sponsorship agreement. Before she feels comfortable discussing it with the board at large she may have had to agree to confidentiality with the organization in question. In many ways if you are an officer of a large company and are going to be communicated sensitive info you are required to to participate with an NDA in place. I require it of all my suppliers prior to letting them bid on business that has client information tied to it. It's all what your organization values relative to your competitive advantage. I hope it is worth all the cloak and dagger stuff!!!

The link didn't work for me either.... But my comp has been on the fritz, so maybe it is my end.

non-disclosure waiver....

I'm curious what a public group has in front of it that needs a non-disclosure waiver. RED FLAG in anyone's book. That's why it is open to it's memebers. I'm new to all this KCBS but already am having seconds thoughts. I don't like being played or tinkered with. I'm smart enough to know what is good for me. Just be open. Without hearing it I can only assume that it has to be halfway shady.

I find myself wondering if other sanctioning bodies have the same amount of drama, and we just never hear about it because they aren't as well covered.

In many ways if you are an officer of a large company and are going to be communicated sensitive info you are required to to participate with an NDA in place.

Sure, but not everyone in the company has to sign it. The Fortune 500 company I work for uses these all the time. Each employee signs an employment agreement when they join, which includes a clause about the treatment of confidential information. The third party NDA is signed by a single person, usually someone from our legal department.

There is no need for cloak and dagger stuff. Just have board members sign a simple (probably one page) agreement when they are elected stating that they agree to keep KCBS confidential information confidential.

KCBS does have the right to enforce this, and it's not unreasonable to require people to reat information appropriately. That said, it's almost unthinkable to me that there is secret information that THE BOARD can't share with each other. I'm on the board of a non-profit myself. We are always open and transparent with other board members, and the general membership as well.

Sometimes you wonder why you pay your dues.

Yep,thats what I say ! The KCBS is NOT a "credible" organziation,it's more than clear to all of that.The BOD sounds like a high school type organization.The good o'l boys network is alive and well,all about money and power and NOT about the best intrest of the members. I also agree with some that say,ALOT of things that go on are downright shady to say the least,how can anyone really support this type of thing.

I just listened to this meeting. As someone who works daily with congressional committees ont he Hill, all I can say is wow, just wow. Embarrassing.

This is a not for profit BBQ society, not the damn NSA.

KCBS is working to position itself as the main sanctioning body of competition BBQ. It is a getting to be big business and through things like Pitmasters. BBQ Crawl, numerous other TV shows, etc, the popularity of it will continue to grow.

If KCBS wants to be the face of BBQ and shepherd the growth of what is an industry, it needs to get its act together.

I don't believe for a minute there won't be growing pains along the way. But that episode was just plain bad.

If as many have speculated on here that it was to discuss a sponsorship of some kind, and if they are going to be THE sanctioning body for comp BBQ, that can't happen. That's not growing pains, that was pure, unadulterated dysfunction.

Pure conjecture: did anyone see the Western Woods announcement on FB that an announcement is coming soon? Says there are numbers in the six figures tied to this announcement.

Interesting timing of the two things, me thinks.

I have many year of experience on Boards as well. It is completely appropriate to have matters of business that are kept in executive session duing development etc. What is not appropriate is the teasing of the info during the public portion of the meeting. In some ways as evidenced by the dicscussion here Candy broke the confidentiality of the subject herself.

Of a more serious nature (in my opinion) was Candys calling out Steve on both the paperwork that did not pass the BOD and his reasons for being on the BOD. That was WAAAY over the line.

I guess I need to become better informed because the end of that meeting was not professional at all. As a new member and listening to that, I now feel the responsibility to become informed and weed out the nepotism or whatever you want to call it. Folks on the board should have the guts to be on the board. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge, but it sounded like there are a bunch of "me toos" on the board and it is lacking leadership.

Other than listening to these meetings, are there any other suggestions for information regarding board member candidacies?

Thank you very much for posting this up.

Allen Freeman

That good o'l boys network of money,power,and greed is deep,other new board members have tried and failed,some just gave in or gave up,I personally don't think it will change anytime soon,they do whats good for a few,not the masses.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34RlJ0L0xE"]Monty Python And The Holy Grail - Let's Not Bicker And Argue About Who Killed Who - YouTube[/ame]

"Please, please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who." :wink:

Back