Got the score card from my first competition

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I participated in my first KCBS competition last weekend. My team placed 24th out of 76 teams, which I was pretty happy with (score of 671.3488 ). I didn't really go in with any expectations because this competition drew a lot of the top teams in the area, but I thought if I could finish in the top half that'd be pretty good. Especially considering the crazy weather that rolled through in the evening and overnight. Cooking in your driveway under perfect conditions doesn't exactly prepare you for worst case conditions as it turns out. :rolleyes:

I didn't stick around for the awards ceremony so I just got my individual judging scores in the mail today. I thought the judges were pretty fair, having seen and tasted the food - if anything, they may have been a bit high in my opinion. These definitely weren't the best boxes I'd done, but I was happy with them all things considered.

Once I saw the actual scores from each judge for each category, it kind of made me realize how consistently you have to score 9's across the board to get a high enough score to walk. For example, in pork I had three 999's, and that was my highest category finishing 12th. The one 7 rating for tenderness probably tanked that score a bit. One of my money muscles was a shade on the overdone side, and it's possible they got a chunk that wasn't up to par...I'm sure it was a valid 7. I was seriously unhappy with my brisket, I turned in sliced flat from a SRF black brisket, and that thing never puckered up so the slices were really skinny...almost like fajita slices, and the flat tightened back up on me so the texture was way off. Yet I still got a #30 on that one? :crazy:

Anyhow, here's a few pics I snapped of my boxes. I didn't take a pic of the brisket because I hated it that much. :caked:

I had a good time, and some fellow brethren placed real well, so I look forward to doing more next year.

Chicken - 25th
Ribs - 26th
Pork - 12th
Brisket - 30th

Last edited:
I spent quite a bit of time on the "judge my turn in box" type Facebook groups, that seemed to be one of the most consistently mentioned critiques, so I tried not to overdo it. More 9's than 8's in appearance, so I guess it worked for the judges.

Im fairly certain if I turned in chicken and ribs with large dark/black spots up here, Id be lucky to get 8s, let alone mostly 9s. Nothing against your turn-ins or your cook, but I just dont see how your appearance scores are that high. Congrats on your first comp though, great results for the first run at it!

Yeah, that piece with the darker spot wasnt ideal but it didnt look nearly as dark in person as the pics make it out to be. Nothing was black though :thumb: but I agree, I would've rated my food a little lower than they did.

I got a little sloppy with my dunking and ruined some of the better looking pieces in that general size.

After I judged my first competition, I compared my ratings to that of the rest of the table. It seemed like I was consistently a little below the rest of the table's average, though not always the low score. It kind of made me think judges are too willing to give a 9. Maybe I'm more skeptical as judge since I cook, but not all judges do.

Last edited:
You're right pictures arent always 100% accurate. But even if you got a little sloppy, on your first run thats areas to improve and keep the focus. Its a good place to start

LOL...my buddy was taking pics here and there and got some of the brisket. I was pretty disappointed with the shape it took. I've never had a flat turn out like this, even one that I cooked separated from the flat, which this one was.

Last edited:
Another shot of the chicken he took, definitely a dark spot on that one but I think they looked pretty decent overall. You'd have to see the picture of all 24 to truly appreciate the carnage I did on the other 18 pieces. :eusa_clap

Last edited:
Good looking boxes for your first comp. I dont see any problem with the shape of your brisket. Some teams square up the pieces by cutting the ends but that natural shape i dont think should have hurt you.

I figured the only reason people cut off the ends is because the slices would not fit in the box otherwise. The way I trimmed the flat, they fit without modification.

The slices were about as wide as my thumb (1" or less), I just thought they looked odd and never had a brisket turn out like that before. I did not trim the thickness of the flat at all, just some of the extra fat.

Yes you were in some tough competition and did well. Look at how table 733 scored on the other meats. You had a 1 on that table so I would think they were a low scoring table. Congratulations on your first competition.

Are you referring to table 733 and the other brisket samples I was against at that table, or is there a way to view a table's scores for all categories?

That 999 in brisket was totally undeserved, none of the pieces I tried passed my pull test, but maybe a good piece found its way into the box. Taste was pretty decent though, but I feel I really missed the mark in tenderness and appearance. I think the 777 was probably the most fair rating of my brisket box. We're our own harshest critics, I suppose.

I figured the only reason people cut off the ends is because the slices would not fit in the box otherwise. The way I trimmed the flat, they fit without modification.

The slices were about as wide as my thumb (1" or less), I just thought they looked odd and never had a brisket turn out like that before. I did not trim the thickness of the flat at all, just some of the extra fat.

I must not be as good of a brisket cook, because my narrow ends would have all but been crumbling off?

Chicken needs to be aligned better, more perpendicular with each piece. Like the other fine cooks have said, nice job for your first comp.

Congratulations!!! Your boxes looked pretty solid to me. Judging just by these pictures on appearance.....easily 8 & 9. Nice job!!

Im not trying to be mean but im giving you 7-8 in appearance on everyting but the pork and ill give you 8-9 on that one.

No worries, like I said...my scores were higher than I would've rated my own boxes. :thumb:

Funny thing is, I threw the pork box together at the very last minute and hadn't planned to use chunks...just kind of happened. Then it turned out to be my best box.

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
Those look like pretty good scores overall to me. Except Brisket.
Must have been pretty strong competition

Back