Anyone Using Yoder YS640?

anyone graph one yet? How tight are the temps?

I have not graphed it but if I remember my conversation with Don correctly the board is intelligent and is designed to keep the temp within X degrees based on a feed rate from the last few cooks. Andy can tell you more hopefully he'll chime in here.
I have noticed the temps becoming much tighter the more I have cooked with it but I haven't cooked with it enough with all other things equal yet to get it dialed in perfectly. I have noticed far less flucuation than I typically had in other uninsulated pellet cookers.

Sean is correct... It gets tighter and tighter. Without getting into too much of how it all works... it is constantly checking itself against various tables and zeroing in as it goes.

The controller is pretty darn smart, IT also has multiple startup modes to help address cooking in cold/colder weather... Simply dial in H1/H2/H3 depending on how cold it is outside, and how hot you want to cook.

Finally, the fact that the body is 10 Gauge steel and not thinner stuff, it holds heat much better, and combats wind/rain alot better than what you see with other cookers. So combine a body that deals better with thermal issues, and a great controller, and it is rocks!

I have not graphed it but if I remember my conversation with Don correctly the board is intelligent and is designed to keep the temp within X degrees based on a feed rate from the last few cooks. Andy can tell you more hopefully he'll chime in here.
I have noticed the temps becoming much tighter the more I have cooked with it but I haven't cooked with it enough with all other things equal yet to get it dialed in perfectly. I have noticed far less flucuation than I typically had in other uninsulated pellet cookers.

I too plan on getting one. I have cooked on one at Andy's cooking classes and fell in love with them. Although I am not a comp cook, this smoker would make a great comp cooker IMHO. It is very versatile and can both grill or smoke. Recovery time is awesome as week as its ability to change temps quickly.

I have been using a 640 at home for about 3 months and really like the results so far. I had a control board issue that was promptly taken care of and I've gotten excellent customer support. As Hoss mentioned, I think it consumes a lot of pellets but I have not used any other type of pellet smoker and can't compare it to what others might consider normal. It does have occassional temp. swings but those are less frequent with the new contol board. (version 20 I think) They also sent me the new fire grate with additional holes in it and that seems to bring it up to temp much quicker than before. It gets a little hot on each end. I agree that the top rack is great for ribs. I got mine with the hopes of improving my chicken but have haven't really gotten into that yet. I hate chicken and haven't been inspired enough to work on it yet so the verdict is still out. I have cooked a lot of good ribs, pork, brisket and a few whole chuck rolls on it as well as burgers and steaks.

Gary

Yes. I'll have this cooker at the class. We'll do a large % of the class cook though on a BWS Fatboy.

Very cool indeed. Kevin and I were already looking at them this past month online but with no local dealer in our area - we were a little hesitant to purchase one without checking it out first...
See you in February! :-D

Sure, why not? Nothing like getting beat by your own pit!

:)

I think that in exchange you should require Scottie to hook you up with power from that 6500 watt Honda generator he hucks around. Since he won't be needing it with the Jambo.......:idea:

I think that in exchange you should require Scottie to hook you up with power from that 6500 watt Honda generator he hucks around. Since he won't be needing it with the Jambo.......:idea:

Hey, I have 2 AC units and 2 fridges going. Plus my audio system, directv, microwave, coffee pot... i may have just a little extra power... :becky:

Hey, I have 2 AC units and 2 fridges going. Plus my audio system, directv, microwave, coffee pot... i may have just a little extra power... :becky:

Yeah, why am I not surprised you cart around a microwave :tsk:

I learned it from QUAU.... It's really for my microwaveable popcorn i like to eat...:thumb:

Make sure you park close to me so I can run my CPAP, VitaMix and Looft Lighter. The Looft Lighter is the big draw, though and 4000 watts might not be enough.

Woot!

ccf0f7e2.jpg

Back