Seeking input on Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250 vs. Yoder YS640 build quality

I did a lot of research on pellet grills this past year. I found the P&S to be a much better built grill than the Yoder and if you go to the P&S site you can find many guys that switched from the Yoder to the P&S. I was planning on getting the P&S 1250 this spring but I ran into an incredible deal last Dec. on the Timberline 1300, that I just couldn't pass up, so I have had a 1300 since then and I am happy with it but I can still wish I had gone for the Maverick 1250.

Which store you do see these at, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Seattle. Didn't see any local dealers when I searched on their website... so definitely curious! :)
The Super 1 off of Hwy 95N Athol, Idaho.
I'll stop in tommorow and get ya some pics

-D

That helps a good bit! Are you open to other suggestions/ideas, or is it the Yoder/Pitts only that you wanna stick with as far as this thread is concerned?

I'm always open to ideas, but do have to admit I seem to be leaning toward P&S or Yoder based on build quality and the always subjective "looks". :) At least one of the other smokers (maybe a MAK?) irritated me because of the Nascar American Flag pasted on the front of the controller box. I'm a subtle guy, and hate when people try to project their opinions on things I might buy from them. I don't need to wear my patriotism to love and support my country. :) That's all likely an over reaction on my part though, and could be swayed if the overall story made sense.

I had a yoder for a year. This is what it looked like

090571f10aa23ee94e75e32b6cc10bc6.jpg

I had to redo the silicon around the firebox twice. Now, I did all my cooking on this so a lot of reverse sear grilling which imo was main reason for the rust and and silicon breakdown. People like to say the yoder is really high build quality, etc...it is good quality and certainly higher than a traeger, etc, but it can’t hold a candle to “build quality” of my Memphis (for example). The yoder does put out great food for sure

If you are using just for smoking, I’d go with the Pitts and spitts between the two. It’s built much heavier. I think the yoder is a very good pellet cooker that can grill very very good...but quality issues mentioned earlier and the lighter build weight would steer me to the P&S.

Thank you! Picture very helpful...

Being in Seattle, you should really check out Mak. Local up there and won’t have to worry about rust.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's a *really* good point. I just went and confirmed, and indeed they do have the Nascar American Flag sticker on the controller, but if it's the better choice, I'll have to consider. Nice to have a guarantee that's it's built here in the States as well!

Thanks for the feedback! The competition cart is one reason I was interested in the Yoder (so I can keep in garage more easily, and hopefully reduce the climate issues). My climate is Seattle - so, less rain than most think (New York gets more), *but* long, grey, and often drizzly winters. :)

I've also heard rumors that Yoder is about to update their line in May - adding WiFi, and one might hope addressing the paint challenges such they don't need to include a can of spray paint. :) Don't suppose anyone knows more on that?

Just a quick update in case anyone is researching and comes across this thread. Yoder did indeed update their Yoder 640 to the Yoder 640s. Main upgrades (from my perspective) seemed to be WiFi controller and new ceramic igniter, but they did not (at least publicly) address the rusting/paint issues. Because of that, I ended up getting the Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250 with upgraded wheels.

The key points that drew me to the P&S were metal gauge, evenness of cooking, and the 100% percent welds - no silicon in drum. My only minor wish list items (in case anyone from Pitts and Spitts is reading) would be for them to offer stainless steel rod grates (still slide out) for easier cleaning, and maybe a competition cart offering similar to Yoder.

This is the updated Yoder for anyone who is interested: https://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

I am exactly where you were exactly a year ago.

Still happy with your decision? I am about 99% I am going to go with the 1250.

I would love any additional feedback you have.

I'm always open to ideas, but do have to admit I seem to be leaning toward P&S or Yoder based on build quality and the always subjective "looks". :) At least one of the other smokers (maybe a MAK?) irritated me because of the Nascar American Flag pasted on the front of the controller box. I'm a subtle guy, and hate when people try to project their opinions on things I might buy from them. I don't need to wear my patriotism to love and support my country. :) That's all likely an over reaction on my part though, and could be swayed if the overall story made sense.

You don't like that they put an American Flag sticker on their smoker, that was made in America?

Back