Yoder YS640 Owners, Question????

There are a few reasons for burn back. I have experienced it and it is mostly operator error. If you let the ash pile up in the bottom you can get burn back. If you leave pellets in the hopper on damp days you might get burn back. If you have to many fines from the bottom of the bag you might get burn back. Using mine in a commercial environment, I can say that every time there was burn back it was my fault.

All good advice from Pyle. However, in 25 plus years I have never had burn back from fines. Wouldn't worry about it! Super good point to not let ash pile up. That's another great reason to get the Yoder two piece diffuser. Lift off the lid section and you've got super easy access for a fast vacuum.

One other difference b/w the Yoder and the Mak is burn pot positioning. The Yoder is set up with the burn pot on one side and the smoke stack on the other. I assume the intention is to have smoke flow from one end to the other as on a traditional offset stickburner.

As someone who has used stickburners for 25-30 years I ordinarily would prefer that setup. But pellets don't produce near the volume of smoke as a stickburner. The Mak 1-star is set up with the burn pot in the center and there is no stack; rather, the smoke exits thru louvers in the back of the smoker at hinge level. I have no empirical evidence for this, but from observing the smoke when I lift the lid, I have concluded IMHO this setup maximizes the smokiness inside the smoker, particularly at lower temp's, and helps counteract the pellets' lower smoke profile.

Nonetheless, I've never heard a Yoder 640 owner complain about lack of smokiness, so, again, I predict you'll be happy with either setup.

The yoder produces real good smoke for a pellet cooker...it’s got a much simpler controller than a Mak or Memphis (ie the fan doesn’t slow down or cut off and then start again..it blows one speed the entire time). The yoder has much bigger temp swings than a Memphis. I don’t know if that produces more smoke flavor or not...yet....will find out soon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back