Anyone else always want another smoker?

I have limited space, so I keep three cookers on the grill island and that's about it. Insulated cabinet, a wood burning Santa Maria, and a gasser. I'm good with that set up for now.

I'd love to get me an offset, but I'd have to make room for it that I don't have. I guess I could call the contractor and have him rip up and reconfigure part of the back, but I'm not sure how that would go over with the wife. Probably right up there with my dreams of a B&O A/V system.

So I think I talked myself out of getting a stickburner. I began having flashbacks to why I got rid of my old one.
1. Having to source wood
2. Having to stack wood
3. Having to season wood
4. Picking wood that properly seasoned to smoke with
5. Splitting that wood to the proper size
6. Keeping that wood dry until time to smoke
7. Adding wood 15 times on a long pork butt or brisket cook
8. Keeping it clean and maintaining the firebox to prevent rust
9. Storing the smoker someplace dry

Some people call that fun lol. I think I’ll stick to my Mak. What I consider fun is the sensory experience. The thin blue and beautiful smoke from an all wood fire, the clean wood smoke aroma, and just sitting back and watching. Some people like tending to the fire constantly. I feel like a charcoal smoker is the perfect balance but I don’t like smoldering wood flavor.

Bottom line is I need to start writing down WHY I get rid of a cooker so I don’t make the same mistake. I’m gonna do that right now. Pellet grilling and smoking and charcoal grilling is what I’ve come to enjoy after trying literally every fuel source and style of cooker. However I recently found out how to get charcoal like searing on my pellet grill so I might just go all out pellet. If I get anything else in the future it might be a pellet cabinet like the pellet pro cabinet or cookshack cabinet or large horizontal pellet grill like a Yoder 1500 or maverick 1250 or 2000

So I think I talked myself out of getting a stickburner. I began having flashbacks to why I got rid of my old one.
1. Having to source wood
2. Having to stack wood
3. Having to season wood

Some people call that fun lol. I think I’ll stick to my Mak. What I consider fun is the sensory experience. The thin blue and beautiful smoke from an all wood fire, the clean wood smoke aroma, and just sitting back and watching. Some people like tending to the fire constantly. I feel like a charcoal smoker is the perfect balance but I don’t like smoldering wood flavor.

Bottom line is I need to start writing down WHY I get rid of a cooker so I don’t make the same mistake. I’m gonna do that right now. Pellet grilling and smoking and charcoal grilling is what I’ve come to enjoy after trying literally every fuel source and style of cooker. However I recently found out how to get charcoal like searing on my pellet grill so I might just go all out pellet. If I get anything else in the future it might be a pellet cabinet like the pellet pro cabinet or cookshack cabinet or large horizontal pellet grill like a Yoder 1500 or maverick 1250 or 2000

I think I'm in the crew that enjoys all of the drawbacks you just mentioned lol. Used to cut my own rid of but don't have the time and buy it now. But everything else in cooking is what makes me proud to put the Q on the table at the end of the day. But I've also talked multiple guys at work into buying pellet cookers just to get them into cooking. BBQ is the only hobby as an adult I have never taken a break from.

I think I'm in the crew that enjoys all of the drawbacks you just mentioned lol. Used to cut my own rid of but don't have the time and buy it now. But everything else in cooking is what makes me proud to put the Q on the table at the end of the day. But I've also talked multiple guys at work into buying pellet cookers just to get them into cooking. BBQ is the only hobby as an adult I have never taken a break from.

Same. I’ve never taken a break from it either. Call me crazy but I think there is something instinctual that draws man (and woman) to fire. It always makes me feel better and calms me

1. Having to source wood
2. Having to stack wood
3. Having to season wood

Very solid and wise thinking! I think you and I both are now at a point where we really shouldn’t be making reckless purchases anymore when it comes to cookers. We’ve pretty much been there, done that and know what works best for us and those we cook for... :)

Very solid and wise thinking! I think you and I both are now at a point where we really shouldn’t be making reckless purchases anymore when it comes to cookers. We’ve pretty much been there, done that and know what works best for us and those we cook for... :)

I definitely agree...

1. Having to source wood
2. Having to stack wood
3. Having to season wood

I hesitated to get a stick burner for the longest time for those reasons. When I saw a deal I couldn't pass up last week I took the plunge. Fired it up this weekend and I loved it. Even if I ended up hating it I would have been happy knowing I crossed that off the list. Still have to source some wood though.

I hesitated to get a stick burner for the longest time for those reasons. When I saw a deal I couldn't pass up last week I took the plunge. Fired it up this weekend and I loved it. Even if I ended up hating it I would have been happy knowing I crossed that off the list. Still have to source some wood though.

There really is nothing like it. Eventually I would like to cook some on the side out of pure joy of doing it, not that I need the money at all so my.collection won't be completed until I add a 250 gallon trailer I think.

I think you either love or hate it for stickburners.

I too share the sickness! Lusted after an LSG Large IVS for a couple of years and recently found one at a good price on a comp cart. Overcame my fear of trailering 950 pounds of American Steel five hours on the freeway and got it home where I fired it up and learned a couple of things like 1) It takes a while to heat up. 2) Once hot it likes to stay hot so you better not overshoot your temp. 3) A fan would help regulate temperature and let me know if I am under/over target. 4) It's too heavy to move into my backyard without extending my already large patio or making space by selling my FEC-100.

Speaking of, my FEC-100 is a large insulated cabinet, has an excellent fan and temperature control system built in, and when the cook is over you just turn it off! Feeling like I bought a charcoal version of what I already own. Since taking Dylan Taylor's BBQ class I have also been lusting for a 250 or 500 Gallon traditional Texas Pit from Austin Smoke Works or Moberg.

Glad to know I'm not the only one with the disease. (Also down to four guitars at the moment, two Gibson's and two Taylor's!)

Last edited:
I like all types of cookers but the stick burner is the one I like the most. I enjoy picking each split like it's an honor for it to sacrifice itself for my nourishment. I just feel more connected to the whole process. I have the space to stack and split wood. Also really like using the Kindling Cracker.

The pellet still feels like something is missing but it's growing on me. Maybe the lack of any challenge or skill to run them? I'm no chef so I don't need any extra time to prep or make sides or whatever y'all do when the cooker is doing all the work. It has come in handy a few times when life gets crazy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Always? No, not anymore. I have and have-had a lot of different styles of cookers, and am pretty satisfied. However, I have and always will lust for a Geer smoker. If at any point one happens to be in the right place at the right time, and the deal is right, then I will snatch it up and finally have all the smokers I ever really wanted.

Bacchus2b I'm extremely jealous of all you people who have had the chance to take the class with Dolan. I actually emailed him yesterday and my wife got me to make an Instagram account so I would quit using her phone to look at BBQ restaurants and smoker builders lol.

I would like a 26 kettle and a pellet cooker and if I could get one of those deals on a BHC I would get one of those.

I would like a 26 kettle and a pellet cooker and if I could get one of those deals on a BHC I would get one of those.

Pellet cooker/26 kettle... out of all of the cooker combos I have had over the past 25+ years, this one has been my absolute favorite :)

I'm always on the hunt for a good deal. I don't need anymore stick burners though.

I don't but my wife keeps bring them home. ( No Joke)

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle 22" X2
Weber Kettle Smokey Joe
Weber Go Anywhere X2