Anyone else always want another smoker?

ruger35

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Nope
I can't ever quit looking at them! Quick rundown, I started what I call legitimately smoking 5 or so years ago with a Yoder Cheyenne I drove from Baton Rouge to Houston to get. That thing gave me fits and after reading many threads on here and other places I figured out why.

Moved from that to a LSG 24x48 that I also drove to Houston for. Enjoyed it, tuning plates were aggravating and wished I had a single door instead of 2 smaller doors. Learned from it, thought I'd try giving a LSG IVC a shot. After only cooking on stick burners, food profile wasn't for me and that lasted maybe 3 cooks.

In comes the Shirley, amazing machine and craftsmanship was even better. Anytime it was hooked up to the truck felt like I was showing off a piece of art. Thought I'd go back smaller so I drove to Lubbock and picked up the current rig, Evie Mae's 24x48 that cooks like no one's business. First round bottom firebox I've had, and this smoker just seems like its getting back to simple BBQ roots.

I said that short story to say this, I still can't help myself from wanting another smoker. Everytime I see a 250 gallon trailer I have to change my underwear. My wife tells me all the time that she wished I looked at her like I do smokers!

Anyone else have the same problem? I've already narrowed my trailer down to either a traditional Shirley, my dream of a Moberg, or going back to see Arnis and the crew to eat some more of their amazing grub. What's your plans??

I can't ever quit looking at them! Quick rundown, I started what I call legitimately smoking 5 or so years ago with a Yoder Cheyenne I drove from Baton Rouge to Houston to get. That thing gave me fits and after reading many threads on here and other places I figured out why.

Moved from that to a LSG 24x48 that I also drove to Houston for. Enjoyed it, tuning plates were aggravating and wished I had a single door instead of 2 smaller doors. Learned from it, thought I'd try giving a LSG IVC a shot. After only cooking on stick burners, food profile wasn't for me and that lasted maybe 3 cooks.

In comes the Shirley, amazing machine and craftsmanship was even better. Anytime it was hooked up to the truck felt like I was showing off a piece of art. Thought I'd go back smaller so I drove to Lubbock and picked up the current rig, Evie Mae's 24x48 that cooks like no one's business. First round bottom firebox I've had, and this smoker just seems like its getting back to simple BBQ roots.

I said that short story to say this, I still can't help myself from wanting another smoker. Everytime I see a 250 gallon trailer I have to change my underwear. My wife tells me all the time that she wished I looked at her like I do smokers!

Anyone else have the same problem? I've already narrowed my trailer down to either a traditional Shirley, my dream of a Moberg, or going back to see Arnis and the crew to eat some more of their amazing grub. What's your plans??

I have the same problem. It’s taken me going through a lot of different smokers and grills to figure out what I like. I’ve come to the conclusion that I like pellets or sticks for smoking. I like pellets or charcoal for grilling. I also want 1 manual operated cooker and 1 automatic operated. So a pellet smoker that can grill and a stickburner with charcoal grilling capability is what I want. Those 2 will satisfy all my needs and wants.

I have the same problem. It’s taken me going through a lot of different smokers and grills to figure out what I like. I’ve come to the conclusion that I like pellets or sticks for smoking. I like pellets or charcoal for grilling. I also want 1 manual operated cooker and 1 automatic operated. So a pellet smoker that can grill and a stickburner with charcoal grilling capability is what I want. Those 2 will satisfy all my needs and wants.

I have my Assassin grill and think that even if I get my trailer I'm keeping the 24x48 for normal cooks. Don't think you will ever be satisfied with just 2! Lol

Ive had a looot of different cookers over the years as I trial and errored my way through things. I am pretty happy with my current crew, if I could never buy another and had only these I would be happy but....I kinda want a top flow stick burner too, and maybe an IVC. And I will probably build a Clonesaker sometime. But I feel like I have finally settled down to keepers.

I have the sickness too. Probably gone thru 2 or 3 dozen. From cheap crap to a Shirley. Currently have around 14. I wanted 1 of every type. I have found that having 2 similar cookers isn't good. Also having too many to use isn't good either. Never gonna stop looking though. That new 20" LSG is my current obsession.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PJ your comment about having two of the same is what has me drooling over a Moberg. Feel like since I'm keeping my patio reverse flow I should just get a direct trailer. And when you say 14, you mean 14 cookers currently residing at your home? That's crazy lol

Like others, same issue. I have went through many different cookers. I am pretty happy with my current Mak2, WSM (x2) and Performer. Covers all the bases for me.

I am always looking at other cookers, brands and types, but my wife keeps me in check on ownership. If I were allowed free reign, I would probably have a total near PJ's.

I used to, just wanting to try different types. Now it's Home Theater and Speakers. In the Last 2 months I got a desktop amp and speakers for my computer and 5 New speakers and 2 subs for my Home Theater/Tv system and Still on AV Forums and reading up and looking at other Speakers........:twitch:

I thought I was happy with a kamado, kettle, pellet, BHC, WSM, and Hunsaker set up. Then I saw a deal on the Lang 36 and decided I would be even happier with that. Turns out I was right. Need to sell the BHC and WSM. Never even took the WSM out of the box, but it was on clearance for $100 so I snagged it.

I have a Humphreys, 2 Weber’s an Akorn, and a mini. One day I’ll have a nice patio stick burner.

I used to, just wanting to try different types. Now it's Home Theater and Speakers. In the Last 2 months I got a desktop amp and speakers for my computer and 5 New speakers and 2 subs for my Home Theater/Tv system and Still on AV Forums and reading up and looking at other Speakers........:twitch:

I went with a sound bar and wireless sub cause I knew I'd be like you if not. Good luck in your search, you're heading for a giant black hole of information!

I’ve only had 2 so far but I have a list of the top smoker of each style I would pick up if given the chance. Realistically I think a Drum or Kamado is next on the list for me.

PJ your comment about having two of the same is what has me drooling over a Moberg. Feel like since I'm keeping my patio reverse flow I should just get a direct trailer. And when you say 14, you mean 14 cookers currently residing at your home? That's crazy lol
Yep.
SF, Abe's (big insulated cabinet), Red Box, Pellet Pro 440, T&K gf, Weber kettle, Jimmy, BHC (2), BS griddle, mini akorn, premium kettle thing, electric smoker. 1 BHC and akorn are still in the boxes.

I went with a sound bar and wireless sub cause I knew I'd be like you if not. Good luck in your search, you're heading for a giant black hole of information!
Totally agree! I ditched everything and went sound bar and sub. I bet the Polk and kenwood stuff is still in my garage somewhere. He'll start selling cookers to buy Atmos this winter.

Yes. I'm always checking out new cookers but I'm hoping the next one will be the last. I've actually thinned the herd a bit.

For those mentioning a kamado style they are great coolers, very versatile. I've had both BGE and Kamado Joe and noticed no quality difference. Their biggest drawback is shape to me. I'd love to see a Kamado in the rectangle shape like a normal grill.

I’m actually happier with fewer. I really wanted the Pit Barrel Jr- but that itch too has passed. My cooks, though frequent have gotten smaller in volume. I would maybe hit the Oklahoma Joe Bronco on clearance at Walmart if it got closer to $100. Not even sure on that. I do think barrels produce great food. I’m comfortable with what I have. More into eliminating than adding anything at this time

Back