Anybody use sand?

All water versus sand threads go to the woodpile. And anyone who brings it up before using the search function should have their pee pee whacked with a prickly pear cactus.

You'll see as you are here for a while

Anything but water in a water pan is cheating.

Sand pan holds sand

apple juice pan holds apple juice.

its a running gag

Mustard pans hold . . .

Ok as Bob Newhart used to say a joke is only funny three times. Or was it Bob Hope . . . at any rate I am out.

Going to sand or clay pot now. Had to put more water in my WSM twice Lat night. I even have the larger ECB charcoal pan. Pain in the Arss in the middle of the night.

Using a sand pan in my ECB as we speak, outside temp is 42 deg. with a slight wind and i'm holding 240ish, just peeked to spritz and only lost 12 deg.
Usually with water that would drop 25-30 easy!!

I used sand and with advice of Brethren I put a layer of foil over it to be able to reuse it. Also been told to pound sand a time or two.

Loving my new WSM. Fourth cook on it now, an 8 lb flat. I got a 12.5 inch pizza stone, wrapped it in foil and set it in the water pan. Started about 20 Rancher briquettes in the chimney and put it on a full ring of unlit Rancher. One piece of red oak about 6X3 inches on it. Has been holding rock steady at 250 with one vent open about 50% and the other two closed completely. The pizza stone mod is the real deal.

Back