Anybody use sand?

I've used sand in the Bandera waterpan for years now. Never looked bag and it works terrific.

Actually, I have a "spider" (rack) that sits on the firering - that will hold a water pan. I thought that a "water pan" full of sand would work for indirect cooking instead of the place setter - and the extra mass of the sand would hold temps more constant when I have to open the lid to tend things.

OK- I see what you are trying to do! The Spider ring sits pretty low in the Egg, it's possible. I took a look at tjv's site and it says it will accomadate a pizza stone, have you considered firebricks?

I'd go with the pizza stone in the egg. I love mine, and will be getting a smaller one when I get the spider and "the rig." :wink:

Sand would get old for me after the first use. Pizza stone = no messy cleanup, and no sand everywhere.

I'd go with the pizza stone in the egg. I love mine, and will be getting a smaller one when I get the spider and "the rig." :wink:

Sand would get old for me after the first use. Pizza stone = no messy cleanup, and no sand everywhere.

Adrian, would you use a stone that low in the Egg, just to cook indirect?

Edit myself: I see the indirect setup for the adjustable rig and get it!

Why would sand or a clay pot be considered cheating? If one were to put apple juice in a WATERpan would that be considered cheating also??? In my eyes as there's no gas it's not considered cheating it's considered a modification.

You'll see as you are here for a while

Anything but water in a water pan is cheating.

Sand pan holds sand

apple juice pan holds apple juice.

its a running gag

Adrian, would you use a stone that low in the Egg, just to cook indirect?

If I look at Tom's site correctly, then yes. http://www.eggaccessories.com/adjustableRig.html The setup I'm talking about is toward the bottom of the page. I emailed him about it a couple of times today, and that seems like the best setup for me on larger cooks. I'm making a list to get my wife and parents to pull the trigger ASAP, so as not to get killed on the holiday rush.

I also asked about the BBQ Guru SYA Turbo Grate and whether the spider will fit over it, and Tom said yes. Someone else is already using the SYA and the spider together, so I won't be in uncharted territory.

I'm currently using the platesetter for indirect, but I want to try this out for more cook space. The temps are low anyways, so it's worth a go. Frank mentioned a clay pot holder above, which I may try out instead.

I'm not going to knock anyone for sand in their sand pan, but after spilling it a couple of times and having to clean it up, I would give up on sand.

I have used pizza stones with the spider. It sits so close to the fire that they crack easily. Thus I'm going to use a pan part full of sand.

You'll see as you are here for a while

Anything but water in a water pan is cheating.

Sand pan holds sand

apple juice pan holds apple juice.

its a running gag

Of course it's cheating! So is using my rubs and sauces! But I get good results. If KCBS doesn't DQ me for it --- I'll cheat!:biggrin:

I've used sand in my smokers for about the last year or two and they have been great. It seems to help with faster recovery times when I open the chamber. Also, gives a better heat sink. It will allow the temps to get away from you if your not careful but the learning curve isn't bad at all. I use playsand, since I happeed to have a couple of 50lb bags from my sons sandbox left over. I place it in the pan and scoop it around to create a depression and foil it over.

One time I put four foil balls in the sand to hold up a clay dish while creating an air gap. this was a sand, piedmont, clay pot mod that actually worked pretty good.

I got away from the water too and switched to sand in my WSM this summer. Really helped with clean up and I can't think of one bad thing to say about it. Just keep changing the foil and its a breeze.
I think it should help this winter, shouldn't the sand hold temps better than water in the cold?

Scott

I'm thinking about using 1/2 sand and 1/2 water on my next cook. Best of both worlds mod.:twisted:

I'm going back to my room now.:wink:

Could always recycle the cat litter. Since it's scoopable it will clean up easy as well.

No, I don't need directions to my room, either. :p

Back