American Royal Newbie

While the thrill of cooking the Royal would be great, this is probably the main reason that I don't want to do it. While I enjoy a good party, if I am spending the money to cook there, especially with gas prices, I want to be able to concentrate on cooking, not manning my perimeter (unless i can get some turtles to do it for me :rolleyes:).

I cooked it once and would probably never do it again..and we were in the quieter area..just too much noise for me..but thats me..if you enjoy that sort of thing then its fun..myself I prefer a more laid back atmosphere at contests..
Everyone who cooks contests should cook it at leasts once though just for the experience

I've had a lot of offers from some Texans to monitor my perrimeters of my spot. Last year, after my brisket was lifted, one of my neighbors wanted to go hunting...

So I will go again, if I can get some Texans to be my security... :lol:

I thought we had that covered?

I'll tell ya what....put some sandbags and a cot on top of your rig, and I'll help you out. I work for clonesicles.

It's hard to say no... When I look at your picture and you have a canon pointed at me... :roll:

LMAO! VQ will kill me if I dull up one of his Forschners, though.

*bright idea* OOOoooOOOOooo! Are tasers allowed?! I could get into this!

...Kidding, I swear.

I think we can get you a deal on a slightly used one...

Anyone seen Fatboyz? :-D

It's hard to say no... When I look at your picture and you have a canon pointed at me... :roll:

I always close my eyes when i read Jorge's posts... Freaks me out... :mrgreen:

We hit town 2 days ahead of time, and get all the garnish we think we will need. We have in a pinch visited the "onsite" Price Chopper, the price and selection of the produce was quite good I thought, but dont wait until the last minute if you think you might need something. Sam's also has a mini store set up for odds and ends, with a good selection, no Sams card needed.
Coz, not sure what you have in mind, but give me call. We hit town on Thursday around 2-3. Whatever we have, you can borrow. Our hotel is near the Kemper, I am usually hanging out on Friday anyway mooching drinks from Buzz, let us know if we can help
Matt

II'd like any advise for a newbie going to the American
Royal and any stories as to what to expect.

Congrats. The Royal is a great time and quite a challenge cooking two events back to back.

If there is anyway you can swing the $ I would highly recommend getting an RV. It is exhausting spending 2-3 days in that environment on asphalt. Being able to escape into an RV with AC is worth every penny IMO.

Also to echo what Ford said, get all your normal meats from home, trim in advance and freeze. There are lots of options for picking up contest meats in KC but you never know what you are going to get and it introduces a whole other set of chores.

Thanks for all the info - Christy ordered those green bags for us yesterday. I may need to pick up another cooler for 2 comps worth of meat but I think thats the way to go. I'd like to get an RV but have no idea what it would cost. Does anyone know aof a company out there that would deliver one on site - is that even possible?

Thanks for all the info - Christy ordered those green bags for us yesterday. I may need to pick up another cooler for 2 comps worth of meat but I think thats the way to go. I'd like to get an RV but have no idea what it would cost. Does anyone know aof a company out there that would deliver one on site - is that even possible?

It is. Talk to Zilla or Texana, and I'm sure they will have some opinions on the people they did business with.:twisted:

Did I hear free beer?:mrgreen::mrgreen:
Doesn't everything sound like free beer? You're like a dog, you can hear free beer that's outside normal people's range of hearing! :wink:

From the sound of it, you'd better bring the crazyeye look and a topheavy unbalanced load of rage, too. :shock:

I'd like to know more about a place that will drop an RV onsite too!!!

Congrats VA BBQ... excellent!

This will be our first time out to the Royal too, and I am so glad you started this thread!

michelle

Doesn't everything sound like free beer? You're like a dog, you can hear free beer that's outside normal people's range of hearing! :wink:

Yes, You say it like it's a bad thing.

From the sound of it, you'd better bring the crazyeye look and a topheavy unbalanced load of rage, too. :shock:

I carry that with me where ever I go.

Play your cards right and if possible I could hook ya up with a 30 foot RV. Of course that would cost a chitload of beer! :wink::lol:

I'd like to know more about a place that will drop an RV onsite too!!!

Congrats VA BBQ... excellent!

This will be our first time out to the Royal too, and I am so glad you started this thread!

michelle

Another AR newbie here too :smile:

I still haven't decided on the logistics yet, but it sure sounds like fun!

Back