Amazing Gesture

It was an amazing experience for sure, it went way beyond teams and individuals who were there....Big Guns donated their winnings from Boston Hills and several folks were emailing us during the contest to match our winnings. I can tell you that it was one of the proudest moments in my short BBQ life. I will go back to this contest each year to cook and give back....because I can tell you that I would pay a lot of money to replicate the emotions from the weekend and friendships that I got to be part of.....

Diva may have won Sunday, but Saturday belonged to Rob. Thanks brother for leading the charge on this. Story and pics are here.

The following email was sent from the organizer according to those familiar with the situation.

"A special thank you to all the professional teams that came out to support our 2nd annual Queen City BBQ Competition in Clarksville, TN. Our unique Cook-Off pairs teams with wounded soldiers from Fort Campbell, KY’s Wounded Warrior Transition Unit. We were pleased to have 36 teams join this special competition, some traveling as far away as 800 miles, to support the wounded soldiers. On Friday night several of the soldiers served as judges for the Anything Butt contest. Walking among the tables we could sense the level of excitement, as the soldiers were eagerly sharing how the BBQ teams were so friendly and embracing of their presence. Also that evening Retired Lt. General Hugh Smith came to welcome the teams and thank them for their support of the injured soldiers. On Saturday it was so gratifying to see those wounded warriors proudly walk along side their team members with beaming smiles, as they carried their turn ins. As the teams started gathering for the awards ceremony, some of the soldiers had their wives and children to cheer them on in hopes of being the Grand Champion. As each winning team was called to the front to receive their award, the wounded soldier would stand full of pride, beside their team mates and smile. But the most overwhelming and touching moment of the whole weekend came as one team made the decision to return their wining monies back to the contest, so that the monies would be given to the Wounded Warrior Project. That decision set off a “pay it forward” response from other teams. To see the teams start streaming to the front to return their checks brought a standing ovation from the crowd. Amongst the roar of the applause, were tears streaming down the faces of all in the room. As the tears ended, huge smiles began to emerge from the soldiers and statements such as “I can’t wait until next year, I want to be here again” could be heard. Thank you and May God bless you. Wayne"

Thanks again Rob, inspirational move! We are already assembling our team for next year, we are not going to miss the next year.

I just wanted to point out a fact real quick: All teams did not return their checks, and I think this happened before GC and RGC were called, so I'm not sure what they did. I hate to rain on any one's parade, but the entire purse was not donated back.

dmp

We're you there?

Back