Amazing Gesture

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
From the Queen City BBQ cook off in Clarksville TN: this contest was a fund raiser for The Wounded Warrior Project. While I wasn't at it I've been told about an amazing gesture by all the Teams that got calls. I knew a few Teams (led by Rob Marion of 2 Worthless Nuts) were planning on returning any winnings to WWP. But as the calls began each Team began returning the checks back to the contest. By the end, all prize money had been donated back. Proud of each of those Teams and proud to call many of them my friends.

That's amazing.

When we get caught up in discussions about the BoD or shigging or any other annoyance, stories like this really put things into perspective. BBQ'ers are good folks, plain and simple.

Eric

Awesome Gesture by the teams! I'm sure all the wounded vets that were "honorary" team members for the comp had a blast as well.

Kudos guys! :clap:

It was an amazing gesture, but I think we can all agree it's not much of a surprise. BBQ people are some of the best people out there. I'd like to see another hobby or sport do the same.

Saw this same thing happen a few years ago in Shelby, NC at Hoghappnin, which also raises money for a worthy cause, but nothing more worthy than helping those that sacrifice their life and limbs so that I can live free in this great country of ours!
Thanks Rob and all the others...

Classy with a capital C. I'm in no way surprised...good people do great things.

I've got a lot of respect for all that donated to this awesome cause.

I just wanted to point out a fact real quick: All teams did not return their checks, and I think this happened before GC and RGC were called, so I'm not sure what they did. I hate to rain on any one's parade, but the entire purse was not donated back.

dmp

I think that it was a tremendous gesture, but I think it puts a lot of people in a real awkward position. I don't think competing in contests is going to make me money, but if I ever won any money it would absolutely help offset some of the costs of competing, and if I gave money away from one contest I don't know if I could compete again on my limited budget. So if I was called after all the teams so far had given up their cheque than I would have to but would I want to, not at all.

Back