Advice on Indoor propane/butane burners for running a Wok

SeenRed

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Red
My wife and I enjoy many "Americanized" Chinese dishes, and I like to experiment with lots of different wok recipes and techniques.

Our house is 100% electric. Our electric kitchen stove has one of those glass conduction cooktops that can be scratched with the wrong kind of pan...or even with the right kind of pan if you use it wrong. And to be honest, the glass-top electric conduction burners don't seem ideal anyway for wok cooking, since you really need a smoking hot wok to effectively stir fry most dishes. The electric wok I bought a few years ago hasn't worked very well - it's basically just the old electric skillet design with a wok-shaped pan on top.

I'm looking for a propane- or butane-fueled gas burner that's approved for indoor use, that gets hot enough to get a 14" carbon steel wok screamin' hot. I've looked at 1 or 2 of the Amazon options, but there's no way of knowing how they perform until they're in your kitchen...which is too late to find out you picked a poor product.

Anyone have any experience or direct knowledge of a good affordable (like maybe in the $100 range) burner that's indoor safe?

TIA
Red

I'm not sure there is an option for you. Anything with enough BTU's is going to smoke out your kitchen and these things are always strictly outdoor use.

Sorry.

Bill

Exactly, you'd need a commerical kitchen hood exhaust just to get rid of the smoke and bad fumes.

Look at any of the warnings for the high BTU griddles and such, always are for outdoors, this is the time of year you'll also hear about not even using them in your garage.

Anyway, you're going to be looking to outdoors for true wok cooking at home.

One obvious choice is a turkey fryer burner set up of some sort, but similar to the vortex adapters you see for grills, the Thai people have been using wood for wok cooking for centuries.

For $30 and a little more to make it part of your home outdoor cooking space, this could be an option. The Thai BBQ Stove:

https://www.templeofthai.com/cookware/thai-bbq-stove-6200000562.php

I'm not sure there is an option for you. Anything with enough BTU's is going to smoke out your kitchen and these things are always strictly outdoor use.

Sorry.

Bill

Exactly, you'd need a commerical kitchen hood exhaust just to get rid of the smoke and bad fumes.

Look at any of the warnings for the high BTU griddles and such, always are for outdoors, this is the time of year you'll also hear about not even using them in your garage.

Anyway, you're going to be looking to outdoors for true wok cooking at home.

One obvious choice is a turkey fryer burner set up of some sort, but similar to the vortex adapters you see for grills, the Thai people have been using wood for wok cooking for centuries.

For $30 and a little more to make it part of your home outdoor cooking space, this could be an option. The Thai BBQ Stove:

https://www.templeofthai.com/cookware/thai-bbq-stove-6200000562.php

I suspected those butane burners that are on Amazon didn't get hot enough. Thanks for the input guys.

Red

I bet a small charcoal grill with a Vortex ring would get a wok plenty hot, not for indoors though.

But for 30 bucks that little Thai cooker looks pretty good.

Yeah there are plenty of outdoor options. My Weber kettle with the gourmet bbq system cooking grates will hold a wok nicely, and gets plenty hot - especially with the vortex…but I’m really only looking for recommendations for indoor solutions.

Red

Back