THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I too am sorry I didn't check in last night...

Curt, Thank you again for hosting such a wonderful event. Who would have thought that my little Lang 60 could hold over 200 pounds of pork?!?:eek::eek::eek: The only problem was that in order to get the 4 hams off (they finished early) we had to take off the 5 full pork loins first!

Pat, Man Match-light it was great to see you again. I don't think there was a time you didn't have the biggest grin on your face! It seemed like before we knew we needed it, you were right there!

Roger, thanks for getting our area organized and hauling down every thing. You sure made it easy on us 'Out of Staters'! I'm now thinking that not only is my next smoker going to be a Lang 84 (no, I would never let my 60 go I just may need another one that's all), but I'm also going to need a truck similar to yours!

Clark, as always it was great to see you. Thank you again for helping make this a great weekend, also for taking Ty the final miles home, and also helping unload the trailer! Damn, what was it, 10 minutes and we had the trailer parked?!? I am almost afraid to see the carnage in the garage! LOL

Bubba & Bob, What can I say. You two did a great job on putting together the Drum Demo. The look on Ty's face when I told him that the drum he was going to build was coming home with us was fantastic... When his Mom asked how he reacted I said that he was speachless... All she could say was 'Damn, you guys must have done a great job to keep him quiet!'

Mike & Scott (and Bubba too), you don't realize how much you miss your friends until you have to leave them again. We are going to have to find a comp or two that we can all do together!

Ty (I'll ask Lori to show him the thread), You did great this weekend and in my heart I feel like you took a large step to manhood. This little cook not only showed you how real men work for others, but allowed you to take part. I could not have been more proud of how you were always willing to step up and take responsibility for what ever needed to be done. You were a great asset to this event, and a true friend to all of us there. Thank you. As for your new smoker, I'll have it up there this up coming weekend.

I think the best quote I heard was just as Ty was putting his first pork butts on, he looked at me and asked, "If I lower this grate down, would there be enough space for a grate higher up?" I think we may have created a monster (like the rest of us:mrgreen:), he hadn't finished the build on not only his first UDS, but his first smoker and he's already thinking of modifications! Welcome to the Drum Corps my friend!:icon_clown:icon_clown:icon_clown

Once again, thank you to all that worked so hard to get this event together... We had the easy job, all we had to do was cook..

Checking in late too but like the others wanted to thank everyone for one heck of a job.
Looking at the piles of meat before hand was pretty overwhelming but every cooker got packed full and every cook showed he was the master of his pit.
Just wish Bubba and Mike would have let me get a little bit of sleep!
It was really great seeing those who we have met before and very heart warming to see TY's face when Jeff told him that they were building a drum for him.
Bob, great seeing you again and thanks for the coffee.
Roger and Jeff, Can't wait to hook up with you guys again somewhere. Curt, thanks for having us be a part and to all who participated, Great Job!.

Take care,
Scott

As I pulled in the driveway last night it dawned on me that I drove some 475 miles to spend 24 hrs in Dayton, cook a mess of BBQ, then turn around and drive 475 miles home.
Awesome.
So many people to thank!
First, Hogsbreath, it was great to have you there and to get your first real taste of doing your very own low and slow BBQ. You did a great job with your little pit. With a little time and effort you'll be a pro. I didn't realize how much fun it was to cook with you until I typed this and realized it might not happen again for a very long time.
Dive, always a blast to hang out with you. It was my pleasure to bring Ty home and to help you square away your gear. Thanks for picking up the tab on a couple of tolls! :icon_blush: Hopefully we can hook up this summer sometime and have things be a little more relaxed.
Curt and Pat, you guys rock. A very nicely organized event and all of the folks from the Vineyard were courteous and helpful. A true pleasure to work with. And gathering up the cooks utensils and dishes to wash them for us? Brilliant! I am already thinking about making a bacon implosion of my own. OMG! :shock:
Roger, you OK? I felt like a turd the whole drive home. It was great to meet you and to work together this weekend.
Bubba and Spydermike, only the second time I met either of you and I swear I still wish you lived closer. It was nice to meet sfich too. Thanks for coming.
The folks that cooked next to me, Kevin, Marty and ??(sorry, can't remember his name) what a great group of folks you were, and talented cooks as well. Thanks for being good neighbors.
ChineseBob, Z, BengalThing, Staydown, 91vw03, it was great to see you there too. I hope you enjoyed yourselves as much as I did.
Ty, I echo Dive's comments here. Enjoy that new pit. The look of surprise was priceless. I hope that, more than just a UDS, you took home what being a part of the Brethren is and, most importantly, what Christian service looks like. There were a lot of important life lessons taught to everyone by everyone this weekend.
Chris (with the LP smoker) I hope you get that little pit figured out so I can taste some Q off of it! It was nice working with you this weekend.
I did miss BBQ Bandit! It was very obvious you were having a good time. It was great to have you there too, and I'm glad you got home OK. It was a true pleasure to meet you.
Did I miss anyone else? If I did I'm truly sorry, but know that I appreciated everything all of you did to make this a great weekend. If one life was changed, it was well worth 950 miles of driving.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Guys, it was an awesome, awesome time... Seeing everyone together again is just unbeatable. People will be talking about this for months to come and as we plan the next years event we will certainly use this weekend as a reference point. You guys set the bar.

Driving hundreds of miles to stay up all night cooking for strangers to turn around and drive home again. Thank you all so very much for what you've given the people of Dayton, OH and the Vineyard Church.

As most of the others have already said this was a great event, AGAIN!! All I want to add is that I had a great time and for only seeing a few of you guys once or twice a year (thanks to this event and this forum) I feel like I have known you guys forever!! The comradarie (sp) is just awesome!!

Curt was telling Bubba and I how much he appreciated us coming down this year and we just kind of shrugged our shoulders (meaning it was not a problem for us to come down and help our brothers out in a very great endeavor to help those less fortunate than ourselves) and Curt said, no really, this is a big deal to not only the Church but to the people that needed the help the most. At that moment I knew exactly what he meant. It was a real treat to see all of the people anxiously waiting for what may possibly be their only meal of the day.
The Vinyard is doing great things in their community!! The Staff was very courteous and helpful, even for some folks from Wolverine country, even after a hearty "Go Blue" at the dinner!!

There are too many too thank, I know I will forget someone, so all I have to say to anyone who had the pleasure of participating in the Pretty Good Barbecue 2009, Thank you for all of your hard work,friendship and just plain ole good time!!

Now that I got some sleep, some warm on the back, I would like to thank all.....

Curt: You did a great job putting this together and to get the helpers for all of us. I feel bad but cannot remember the names of the 2 that helped me all Sat. They were a blessing. And they wanted to learn. And to have all those pullers---I know I couldnt have lasted if we were also pulling all that meat.

Pat: As Dive said....Everytime I felt tired,cold, you were there with that smile and it would give that more gas in the step. And showing up with clean knives, cutting boards, stainless tables, you dont know how much that was appreicated. It was great to meet you and would love to sit and bbq anytime with you only at a smaller slower pace.

Dive: Jeff it was so good seeing you and cooking with you. It blew me away how much the 60 held. We had a good time together and will cherish it for a long time. Thank You And for takin in a child and in one weekend instill so much manhood in him you are making the furture so much nicer for him. You can tell he respects you very much. Cant wait until the next time i get to cook with you.

Bubba: Steve it was great to see you again. I think you helped make a furture Brethren this weekend with Tyler. I am blessed that I have made some good friends this passed year.

Spydermike: Mike want to thank you for chasing Bubba out of the car sat night...it was getting lonly being the only one up. Get seeing you again just wish we were all closer too get together more.

Sfish: Scott thank you for the time spent laughing while we had all the work to do with the meat. I think we will be asking about that training session every time we get together. And also thank you for being there to help in the kitchen area. You dont know how much that is appreicated.

BBQ Bandit: Bob it was great meeting you and spending time together. Glad that we caught that radiator leak before you got on the road with that trailer that could have gotten bad. Someone upstairs was watching out for you.

Harbormaster: It was great to finnaly meet you. Wish we had more time to talk and get acuainted. Sorry you felt bad driving home I am ok and glad it wast bad. Didnt hear you maybe because i was barking out orders again trying to get a pic of the pullers or maybe it was that they put the generator 10 ft from us??????? So glad in morn when light came up to turn it off.

Hogsbreath: It was good meeting you...didnt get to spend much time together but hope you come up to kettering and we get some time to talk.

Chinese Bob: Bob was good seeing you again and thanks for the work you did to make the drum demo happen. I do know like Dive said you help creat a monster.

Rick, Kevin and Marti : It was good meeting and tasting all of your food. hopefully you enjoyed your first time with the Brethren cooking. Hope you join and hope to see you in Kettering.

ZBQ: Neil it was great to spend the little time we had on Sat. hope all went good with the family thing. And thank you for the Gold...my house will get cleaned now.

Stay down: Turk was nice to meet you was busy while you were there didnt get a chnce to talk. Thanks for sending pics back to cincy.......

The Bengal Thing: Wont hold it against you for liking the bengals....was good to meet you and may see you down at longworth hall at a pregame.

Tyler: Everyone will talk about this expression he had on his face when he found out about the drum. Well i got to spend the rest of the day and night and Sunday watching him watching his maverick-his intake and exhaust ...the time doing all what we did on a new cooker learning it and I dont think that smile ever left his face. I will have to say that after raising kids and having kids in scouts and sports and being able to tell the ones who will make it Tyler is on his way becoming a fine adult. His actions, His helpfullness, I nominate him for Brethren brother and hopefully we will get a group started for the younger or to allow them into certain parts of our group. Tyler your mom would have been proud of you if she was there. We all are.

To All: Starting the fires at 2pm didnt leave much time for walking around spending time with everyone. It was great to be part of such good thing and amassed at to miles you guys came to do this this. i am truly blessed to be part of such great group of guys.............Every last one of you YOU ROCK

I'm still really humbled by all that you guys did. Pat deserves many times more credit than he'll take, especially with all he went through just getting through last week.

I'll never forget the sight of Pat and Hal pulling up with half a ton of meat in the back of the pickup. Hal is one of our pastors, and he's from El Paso... according to him, we'd have all be killed for that meat in Mexico!

Compared to last year, this year went so much more smoothly. I really enjoyed Saturday, with the drum building, Bob's coffee demo (my wife stopped at Harbor Freight on the way home yesterday to buy a heat gun), Neil's mustard sauce, and the dinner. I know a lot of the people that came for dinner really enjoyed walking around and talking to you guys.

I also want to thank you all for welcoming the cooks from the church. Kevin was really into the MOINK balls (and they were really good). Chris had no idea what he was doing, but you all helped him out, too. I know Bob saw Rene's drum smoker being made last year, but it's tough to call that one 'ugly'; he's done his best to pretty it up!

It was really odd having Mark barbecuing and not cooking with him. It almost seemed wrong, but it was nice being able to just be there and not trying to split time... and to get a few hours sleep while you all roughed it outside in the cold!

Roger deserves a special thank you for all of his equipment; making sure he had all that saved others from hauling everything hundreds of miles. And the deer chili really hit the spot on Saturday afternoon!

I'll have photos up tomorrow.

One more thing......

As I pulled out of the grass area pass all of those that came to eat it brought tears to my eyes. We take it very lighty what we have, our homes, our equipment (toys) to see all those less fourtunate standing there smiling waiting to enjoy a meal that we love eatting which may be the only time they get to enjoy made to drive back home much easier.

i just wish we had more time to sit and talk..........maybe a little sleep.

next year, nothing but Boston Butts, so things will be consistent. And I think we'll stick with something more like 700 lbs, so figure about 80-90 butts. I'm going to try again to get guys that can stoke the fires at night to volunteer, so you all can get more sleep.

next year, nothing but Boston Butts, so things will be consistent. And I think we'll stick with something more like 700 lbs, so figure about 80-90 butts.
While I'll agree that having nothing but butts would have made it some what easier, other than the chunks of what we were calling breakfast sausage meat it don't think we had all that many problems... Roger was the one that suggested that we keep most of the larger cuts in certain cookers for timing sake.

I'm going to try again to get guys that can stoke the fires at night to volunteer, so you all can get more sleep.
As for sleep, we didn't have a problem, we had Roger!:lol: Just kidding...

I had problems sleeping because of my knees and Bubba was up because of Mike (ok, mostly Scott)... Ty asked that I make a minor modification of putting in heat in my trailer but said that it wasn't all that bad...

The Bengal Thing: Wont hold it against you for liking the bengals....was good to meet you and may see you down at longworth hall at a pregame.

hahaha

We actually have a pretty big tailgate party in Lot 1 (right next to Longworth)

I plan on putting my UDS to get use to make fatties for each game.... so you should def stop by

Well we did have 4 stainless tables 2 1/2 ft wide by 5 ft long stacked 3 ft high with meat of all sizes and cuts plus my 150 qt cooler full and two very lg boxes. Didnt know if all was going to fit but fig if everyone did things alike it would be eaiser to keep track of.

Never imagined the the 2 84's and the 60 would do so much.

And for the no sleep.....I knew you guys had a long way home and needed it. i just didnt relizes who long it makes a drive when you are tired.

While I'll agree that having nothing but butts would have made it some what easier, other than the chunks of what we were calling breakfast sausage meat it don't think we had all that many problems... Roger was the one that suggested that we keep most of the larger cuts in certain cookers for timing sake.

As for sleep, we didn't have a problem, we had Roger!:lol: Just kidding...

I had problems sleeping because of my knees and Bubba was up because of Mike (ok, mostly Scott)... Ty asked that I make a minor modification of putting in heat in my trailer but said that it wasn't all that bad...

MOM comments!
I love each and everyone of you for taking part in this!

I enjoyed the call from Tyler saying "ummmm, mom is there something you want to tell me?" (Yes! Lori kept a secret!) This was after he found out the UDS he built was his. I could hear the smile on his face! :-D Sunday I awoke to a picture text of the meat he cooked. I then knew he was hooked! I best get looking for a freezer!!!

A new BRETHREN was born!

Coming to a smoker near you!!!

SAPPY ALERT!!!!

JEFF said I could get sappy cause I am a GIRL! :icon_cool

You met my Tyler! Jeff asked him long time ago if he wanted to go on this trip. Cooking for people they don't know. Ty was excited about going down there and wanted to help in anyway. He even took and did homework! He has a big heart, great smile, and willingness to help others. Once he gave all his Christmas money to help a boy in need of a transplant. He is simply an amazing kid! Growing into an even more amazing adult!
I am so proud of him!

I seen my son on the verge of manhood. This past weekend he left a boy and returned a man! Each one of you had a part in that. He was able to spend time with quality men who were gathered from all over to do wonderful work. I am so proud to call each of you Brethren! As much as I wanted to be there, I knew it was not the place for mom.
Thank you all for sharing the pics!

A special THANK YOU to Jeff. When you told me about the idea I knew you were RIGHT!!! (note this men) I smiled everytime you called with updates on the plans. It warmed my heart knowing you care that much. You and Ty have a bond and memory that will last a lifetime.
THANKS TO ALL! LOVE YA BROS!!!!!!!

I have to tell you... Ty was a pleasure to have along. I'm glad his 'initiation' went so well, and he's welcome here any time, with or without his smoker. :)

I have 4 lbs of ground bacon, which I'll wrap in 2-3 lbs of bacon and stuff with a lb of pepper bacon... for a 7-8 lb Bacon Implosion for Sunday breakfast.

Curt, Tyler called those insane! LOL He loved em! :eusa_clap

Again, thank you all that helped make this a special weekend for Ty.

I enjoyed the call from Tyler saying "ummmm, mom is there something you want to tell me?" (Yes! Lori kept a secret!) This was after he found out the UDS he built was his. I could hear the smile on his face! :-D​

This weekend was full of amazing things... Lori keeping the secret was one of the larger ones....

A special THANK YOU to Jeff. When you told me about the idea I knew you were RIGHT!!! (note this men) I smiled everytime you called with updates on the plans. It warmed my heart knowing you care that much. You and Ty have a bond and memory that will last a lifetime.​

I was right???? I think she is just trying to lead me on....​

My photos are now up here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmcadams/sets/72157618389618405/

But I also am including some key ones here:

This it one of the more impressive, I think, as also seen in staydown's post:
3546173838_fa5063d118_o.jpg

Roger's Lang loaded down...
3545379203_6a2c296155_o.jpg

And someone pointed out this rainbow on Sunday afternoon...
3545384967_8643771077_o.jpg

The people we were there to serve...
3545380571_0566165a21_o.jpg

And something we all knew about Roger...
3546186356_fce1ef7b3b_o.jpg

And Pat eating some smoked pork belly on a Krispy Kreme doughnut...
3545377425_56e272b19f_o.jpg

Ty checking temp on his first Boston Butt!
3546184812_653999ba62_o.jpg

The 7 pound Bacon Implosion ready to go...
3546183808_b75bfb16a3_o.jpg

3545376503_5363903dec_o.jpg

3545376623_9348385b59_o.jpg

The site at night...
3546183324_9e2268bc28_o.jpg

Steve Bowen, the pastor helping put this one (supplying all the volunteers!)...
3546180054_a8a90e7407_o.jpg

Bruce doing what we were there for... feeding someone that was just hungry...
3546173458_3c8e6f8fe5_o.jpg

And the whole group...
3546175636_d2934dd51d_o.jpg

Back