7 minute steak *** T-bone edition

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I recently posted about the steak method my dad taught me for cooking steaks

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262590

Its 3.5 minutes per side with the lid off over a lit chimney of charcoal. I threw in a quarter turn and slide

The seven minute method works best with market steaks, the prepackaged 1 inch cuts from markets. Today I happened to stop at Walmart and found a nice T-bone, I usually use ribeyes from Meijer.

The dark lord of the Sith will be joining us for tonight's cook, it was seasoned with Montreal steak and left at room temperature for one hour.

Gentlemen start your engines

Things have changed some, gone is the large coffee can chimney starter of kingsford lit with the Sunday funny pages soaked in that mornings bacon grease. Today I fill less than half the charcoal grate four fingers deep with lump using a weber basket as a divider instead of the old mans 2 bricks. Dad never had a weed burner.

And flip at 3 min 30 sec

Seven minutes on the dot

Bruno knows when it's done

With some sugar peas

Dads doneness scale; poke with tongs

Meat stays indented, undercooked
(blu or rare)

*Meat rebounds some but not all the way is done*
(med rare)

Meat rebounds and springs to original position is over, oops try the 6 minute method
(Medium +)

Looks spot on. It's fun to follow family traditions but add your own twist!

Wait for it...

Here it comes...

The "Oh Bobby" eliciting comment: I didn't know people we're still grilling steaks without Oakridge Carne Crosta.

Have you ever tried that with a really BIG porterhouse? It would probably solve a problem for me. I like a strip and my wife likes a filet. Luckily, we both like them med. rare. If I can get the finish that you have, I could separate the porterhouse before I sear it, I should be able to get lucky.

What do you think... And others too? Thanks

Have you ever tried that with a really BIG porterhouse? It would probably solve a problem for me. I like a strip and my wife likes a filet. Luckily, we both like them med. rare. If I can get the finish that you have, I could separate the porterhouse before I sear it, I should be able to get lucky.

What do you think... And others too? Thanks

Well this technique is for inch thick steaks. Mine was labeled as a t bone but it looked like a porter house. The cook is just a sear, a thicker steak would need to be finished on the cool side or reverse seared......of course it wouldn't be 7 minutes steak then

Good looking steak!

Nice that you carry on your dad's tradition.

Back