THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm gonna say something here that may ruffle a few feathers. I've cooked on a lot of offsets including the Cadillac of pits the Shirley Fab. My O/U cooks as good as the Shirley I cooked on at the Texas bash. It is the most even temped offset pit you can get for the $. The O/U is very easy to maintain temps the reason is the fire box size it's 2/3 the volume of the main so it breaths well. I have been preheating my splits in the box & not on it because there is plenty of room inside. It's a unique design in that the heat & smoke are channeled into the main up through a duct then turned down to the bottom of the main. The octagonal shape circulates it across the bottom up the front across the grates then out the stacks creating lots of convection. The smoke flavor produced is the cleanest I've tasted from an offset due to the draft that this pit has, it really moves the air. I'll never go back to a traditional offset again

I think I remember you saying you used to run your offsets with the exhaust wide open, and the fire box door, open. You would control temp by the size of the fire.

What's your method with the O/U? Door shut? Dampers wide open?

I did not put Ok Joe Highlander on this list because it's too small for my liking. The smaller ones don't draft as well and can be harder to use. The Wrangler is smaller than I like even, the Longhorn and Pecos are the smallest I like and they are perfect size for the backyard cook.

I REALLY LIKE my OK Joe Highlander. It works well, imho - however it's my first offset and can't compare it to anything else. It makes my best BBQ. I'm not planning to replace it.

PICT1054_zpszjv8ahks.jpg

I think I remember you saying you used to run your offsets with the exhaust wide open, and the fire box door, open. You would control temp by the size of the fire.

What's your method with the O/U? Door shut? Dampers wide open?

Bumping to see if this get's an answer.

The O/U seems legit. I had a chance to buy one when I got my Wrangler off CL.
Wondering if I should look for one and sell the wrangler.

Smitty..... I think I've read on several occasions and other forums I think that the "Wrangler" was like a 20"-24" cook chamber pipe. I never thought that was right and I measured mine today. It's 26.5 Wide and a hair over 19" deep (pipe size).

Is the Pecos the same?? Just longer? (thinner metal obviously)

i'm with bluedawg. the over & under smokers are THE ticket!! even heat, easy to regulate, & easy on fuel. I have an older heavy gauge OK Joe Longhorn, a Cajun bandit on a weber performer, & a good one open range over & under. the good one is now my go to smoker.

Love this thread... but now I am feeling guilty for my recent M1 Grill/Smoker purchase. Those Oklahoma Joe's sure do seem to be quite the bang-4-buck!! Don't take me wrong, I LOVE the way my M1 cooks... but you sure can buy a nice smoker for a whole lot less $$.

Love this thread... but now I am feeling guilty for my recent M1 Grill/Smoker purchase. Those Oklahoma Joe's sure do seem to be quite the bang-4-buck!! Don't take me wrong, I LOVE the way my M1 cooks... but you sure can buy a nice smoker for a whole lot less $$.
Disagree. I have been tempted by the apparent bang for the buck with OKJ. But whenever I have seen one in the wild they are noticeably flimsily built out of thin materials. Keep in mind they are now owned/built by Charbroil.

Disagree. I have been tempted by the apparent bang for the buck with OKJ. But whenever I have seen one in the wild they are noticeably flimsily built out of thin materials. Keep in mind they are now owned/built by Charbroil.

Shouldn't have said I feel guilty...lol. I don't :)

The M1 to me is worth the cost...built to last, and performs like a dream.

With that said, for someone wanting to get into smoking without breaking the bank... the OKJ do seem like a decent option...at least from a distance they do ;-)

Back