Used Backwoods Smoker

MrDsmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey Guys,

Going to look at a used backwoods tomorrow . 12 years old. Looks like a G1 or G2 chubby. Price is $500. Based on the age, price, and pictures, what do you guys think?!

Attachments

• IMG_4600.jpg
    IMG_4600.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4601.jpg
    IMG_4601.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_4602.jpg
    IMG_4602.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_4603.jpg
    IMG_4603.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 266
New would be around $1K. If the drive is not too far- why not go take a look at it? Insides look a little rough- but could clean up nicely.

At that age I would check it for rust issues. Real problem on older Backwoods smokers, especially in the firebox area.

I would pass. I spent a lifetime of buying neat stuff that I wanted to restore. By the time you're done with time and money invested you would be better off buying one new. Just mt 2c.

So my 2cents having owned a G2 Chubby and G2 Party and used them a lot before I sold them to get drums is..........if the rust is just surface based that you could scrape of vs the metal is aggressively eating away then this could be worth looking at.

I had the firebox door on the inside rust and start to crumble and Backwoods was great and simply sent me the replacement sheet metal, screws, etc.

These pics are mediocre and initial knee jerk reaction is it has been used and abused, but as long as the inside of the cooker isn't crumbling away then it could be worth it if you can get it for less than $500 (if inside of the cooker is crumbling I wouldn't buy it). If the inside doors only are crumbling that can be replaced "slightly easier".

The depth looks like maybe it is a G2. I'd confirm if it is a G2 as a brand new one is $1600 so if in non crumbling shape and you can get for less than $500 would be worth it. I'm with George and based on age offer $300

Check the slam latchets of course.

I have a 13 yr old original Chubby with stainless doors, and it looks a lot like the picture here. I wouldn't trade it for nothing. I can cook at temps high/low, grill/sear. And without listing all my cookers - if I could only have one cooker, it would be that original Chubby.

If you can pick that up for $500 or less then it's a major score!

I have been messaging them and I really appreciate their customer service. I’m interested in a vertical offset.......If I get it my family will disown me and I really can’t blame them!!! But good grief those LA (Lower Acadian) fellows make BEAUTIFUL steel!!!!!

Back