THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmittyJonz,
If you had to pick between the Pecos, Over/Under, or the new one you have, which would you recommend as far as the best bang for the buck? Thanks.

Well Pecos is $399, O/U $499 and Smokehouse $699, so it's hard to say. I like all of them . I havnt cooked on the O/U but know several who have - esp BluDawg. I prefer Verticals so I'd say SmokeHouse but it's the most $. Pecos and O/U have about same capacity on the main grate but the O/U is gonna be more even on temps factory and has upper grate. The Pecos can get pretty even temps with convection plate and water pans. The O/U firebox can be used for grilling but not sure I'd ever do that. They will all 3 last about same time frame if treated equally, so it comes to your Budget really.

I'm gonna say something here that may ruffle a few feathers. I've cooked on a lot of offsets including the Cadillac of pits the Shirley Fab. My O/U cooks as good as the Shirley I cooked on at the Texas bash. It is the most even temped offset pit you can get for the $. The O/U is very easy to maintain temps the reason is the fire box size it's 2/3 the volume of the main so it breaths well. I have been preheating my splits in the box & not on it because there is plenty of room inside. It's a unique design in that the heat & smoke are channeled into the main up through a duct then turned down to the bottom of the main. The octagonal shape circulates it across the bottom up the front across the grates then out the stacks creating lots of convection. The smoke flavor produced is the cleanest I've tasted from an offset due to the draft that this pit has, it really moves the air. I'll never go back to a traditional offset again

Well it seems Bludawgs endorsement has increased O/U Demand so much they added a $100 but still a great pit at $599. :mrgreen:

What's the quality control like on those O/Us?

Some of us don't have an Academy Sports close & would have to have the unit shipped. Wound not want to receive a defarkelty & have to deal with that.

I did not put Ok Joe Highlander on this list because it's too small for my liking. The smaller ones don't draft as well and can be harder to use. The Wrangler is smaller than I like even, the Longhorn and Pecos are the smallest I like and they are perfect size for the backyard cook.

I did not put Ok Joe Highlander on this list because it's too small for my liking. The smaller ones don't draft as well and can be harder to use. The Wrangler is smaller than I like even, the Longhorn and Pecos are the smallest I like and they are perfect size for the backyard cook.

I agree, my friend. I am very happy with my Longhorn.

Back