4th of July

I was telling the wife I was thinking about cooking some ribs on Sunday, then breaking out the gas grill at the park to warm them up and sauce them. I am also thinking of smoking a meatloaf, just to "Wow" the other people at the park. Not to mentin the usual Hot Dogs, hamburgers, Links... BUT NO CHICKEN!

I am working on building a pergola over my newly poored patio but I will get a little smoking in over this holiday as well.

Couple slabs of ribs, brined chicken boobs, couple fattys and some ABTs.

Hey guys! Well, I FINALLY get a chance to crank up the smoker! 4 slabs for tibs and 2 9# briskets are already a churnin' Plus the obligatory fatty (or three) and some brats later in the day...

JacksonsDad said:
Hey guys! Well, I FINALLY get a chance to crank up the smoker! 4 slabs for tibs and 2 9# briskets are already a churnin' Plus the obligatory fatty (or three) and some brats later in the day...

Well, would you look at that. Stacey is in the room :lol:

Welcome back.

TIM/DAD

Just ordered 4 racks of ribs, 2 doz. thighs, 3lbs each of green onion sausage and cheesy brats, and a small loin which I intend to impale with some really good andouille.

Just ain't right not q'ing for the 4th...and I can't q without some time spent on the site. :)

I got some info that I am sure Dad has already shared...but I will post in the cattle call...

Six racks of BBs, 2 racks of spares, hot links, chix thighs, butt, and some tri- tips. Sides will consist of beans, corn, salad, fruit, etc.

My mom, aunt and cousin are flying in from Chicago and I have not seen them in a year!

Oh by the way, I am making margaritas with tequila I brought back from Mexico

Per TVWBB, use oak to smoke (I used a little hickory and it was still great), Santa Maria type seasoning ( http://www.susieqbrand.com/) or this blend:
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Tri-Tip Seasoning[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]3 tablespoons non-iodized table salt
1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, medium grind
1/4 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Chop the parsley or crush it between your fingers to make it small enough to mix well with the other ingredients. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Apply heavy sprinkling to the meat.[/FONT]

Indirect high heat until 125 - 130 deg, turning once after 20 min or so. Then direct heat to sear for 5 min turning frequently.
Some people like to sear first, then go indirect but I did it the way I mentioned and it came out great. I just wish more stores in my area carried them. HTH

wifey had a tooth worked on, needs something soft. Not sure Q will do....

<sigh>

I would like to do some ribs and chicken...if I get the chance.

queball said:
Brother Smoke, whats the quick and easy on those tri-tips?

Grilling them but this is not going to bring a smile to your face. You got to smoke them for at least three hours (250 degrees) and finish on the grill (this is quick and easy for me).

Essentially, I go low and slow for 4 hours (225 degrees) and bring them home on the grill if you like some char. I also rub them up in my favorite rub prior to smoking.

If you want to do a marinade try kikoman's roasted garlic marinade overnite.

Oh yea, some will say leave the whole fat cap on and let the fat drip down. IMHO it is not necessary you can get by with a thin layer and you will still have excellent flavor, trust me!

BBS

I got a half dozen cornish hens and 3 racks of baby backs going on the WSM. I'm trying out some Budweiser BBQ sauce samples they sent me. We didn't invite anyone over as I didn't plan to do this until yesterday. But that means lots for the hubby and I to munch on all weekend and some for those who just drop by.

Came down to San Antonio to spend some time with my Mom and take care of a few projects. I also seem to have brought the rain with me from Phil's! We can use it so I'll be happy doing a few hotdogs on the rotisserie tonight.

cookin a 8# butt, and 2 racks of spares. woke up late, so butt aint gonna be done to 8-9pm. put it on at 8 this morning, ribs ABTS and roasted corn will be ready by 3pm or so.

no smoke this weekend

Hello Everyone,

Stopped in at Abersons on the way home yesterday and they had ready to eat whole St. Louis style smoked rib racks with for $9.99. Pink smoke color all the way to the bone and tasted great for store bought. Made me remember what I have been missing!

My oldest Son and his new wife are visiting from Austrila (both vegie's).
My yougest Son is visiting from his new job in Seattle, WA
The twin Daughter's Birthday was yesterday and Megan will be be here today to celebrate.

Have a safe fourth Q!

tommykendall said:
I'm thinking about smoking some spam with my brisket tomorrow in honor of Bi-gal. :wink:

Be sure you put the Spam over the Brisket.
Flavor drippings to die for :lol: and moist?. You betcha :lol:

Welcome back Big Al.
Sounds like ya got a housefull.

TIM

Yesterday was prep day, 1-13# brisket, 1-mojo pork butt, and 1 brined chicken.

Today is smokin' day. The brisket was started early and has just hit the foil. Chicken on the egg and mojo pork due to come off in a few hours.

ebfc47b6.jpg

7df2941e.jpg

b81d7c8f.jpg

Back