THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thanks guys

Those boxes looked good. Keep up the good work.

I did have a few questions for you though....

How long did it take you to prep your boxes prior to adding the meat?

After the fact, do you think you should have added more pork to that box?

oh, i'm not exactly sure how long each box took. i built them saturday morning and i had a friend helping me by trimming the parsley, then i built the putting greens... maybe 15-20 minutes each? i'm just guessing...

not sure on the more pork thing.

Cutlery and More has the Forschner Graton Slicer for a great price. Great brisket knife.

thanks, i'll check that out.

All the boxes looked really nice, as mentioned maybe the pork box by filling in around the large chunks with pulled meat would have scored higher. Although you never can tell, right?

David Keyse
cbj #5112

yep, i will never know for sure. my previous two comp pork boxes had more pork, but no sauce, so i'm really shooting in the dark.

The boxes look good Rick! The only thing I would recommend is don't just put the minimum required in each box. I think the more you fill them, the better they look...

then what would my family and friends have to eat? i don't see the point of filling a box to the brim if there are only 6 judges and they only take a bite of each sample. i really hate to waste food. i reckon i'm in the wrong train of thought for comps.............

looks outstanding, great job!

did you use just your eggs, for the comp?

yep, four eggs, three larges and a medium for chicken. the mini just watched

ohiovetcomp09-004.jpg

i didn't spend much time trimming the chicken. any tips on chicken trimming based on what you see? i was a little worried about the chicken because when my dad bit into a reject piece, the whole skin came off. hopefully, once they cooled a bit in the box, the skin would have bonded a bit more to the meat and been more bite-through. another 20-30 minutes in the egg might have helped too.

how about that 7 in ribs? :icon_blush:
and i thought the brisket box was my worst for appearance, but it scored the best. ya just never know, i reckon :|

Rick that looks excellent to me. I wished mine looked that nice Congrats on your calls Are you doing more Comps this year

I would score ribs,chicken and beef 8-9's:-D, but the pork, looks like something wrong, could be pic or it's all to dark:?: Seeing in person is always better. You got hosed with 6's:mad: Great job:eusa_clap

thanks, guys :biggrin:

Rick that looks excellent to me. I wished mine looked that nice Congrats on your calls Are you doing more Comps this year

i'm looking at doing sharonville and nelsonville in ohio... maybe. we'll see.
i might have cheated without knowing it at kettering by heating the sauce in a foil pan on the gas stove in the rv. no gas was on when i dunked the pork and brisket, but there is no rule stating anything about heating sauce. i asked on another thread (probably should have started a new thread for that) and i've searched this forum and the roadmap, but i really never found a definitive answer. they (kcbs) really need to add this sauce heating issue in the rules. i'm sure this has come up in the past?

I would score ribs,chicken and beef 8-9's:-D, but the pork, looks like something wrong, could be pic or it's all to dark:?: Seeing in person is always better. You got hosed with 6's:mad: Great job:eusa_clap

i think it was the flash, but the bark was pretty dark. and with the sauce it made it look darker. sure tasted good to me though! :biggrin:

Rick, You didnt cheat. We heat ours on the chimney. Faster then a buzzing microwave.

Nice looking boxes and one hell of a camper you got there! You putting all the equipment inside it or pulling your trailer behind it?

Rick, You didnt cheat. We heat ours on the chimney. Faster then a buzzing microwave.

well... i'd still like to see it in the rules. i'll heat on an egg if i have to, no problem. i can tell you i never used the micro :roll:

Nice looking boxes and one hell of a camper you got there! You putting all the equipment inside it or pulling your trailer behind it?

thanks, man. i'm afraid to tow the trailer behind that thing so we used a lowered pick-up to get the trailer up to that comp and that was interesting. it's about 15-20 minutes away and i have a reserved spot. :biggrin:

thanks, dennis... let's see your boxes :biggrin:

i reckon once people get a few comps in, they won't post their boxes. either they are ashamed or they are trying to hide something. :roll:

i must be too new and i post my boxes. maybe it's against the unwritten rule.

thanks, dennis... let's see your boxes :biggrin:

i reckon once people get a few comps in, they won't post their boxes. either they are ashamed or they are trying to hide something. :roll:

i must be too new and i post my boxes. maybe it's against the unwritten rule.

Man asking another man to see his boxes........that just ain't right :biggrin:

31st pork says it all.... I'll be thinking about your box the next competition. My chicken looks just like yours. Brisket.....well it was the best looking box I've turned in but it was overdone. Ribs I thought were kick butt good and looking nice too.

Man asking another man to see his boxes........that just ain't right :biggrin:

31st pork says it all.... I'll be thinking about your box the next competition. My chicken looks just like yours. Brisket.....well it was the best looking box I've turned in but it was overdone. Ribs I thought were kick butt good and looking nice too.

chicken! no pix, didn't happen. :biggrin:

pork boxes

here's my two previous comp pork boxes. :icon_blush:
no sauce. no sauce at all. pure pork. pure stupid.

which one makes you want to grab a bun and have at it? :biggrin:

ohiovetbbq2008II-017.jpg

766 877 899 668 767 868 - 26th of 39

jimdandy2008-010.jpg

855 766 666 577 888 878 - 20th of 25

and the latest box...

ohiovetcomp09-017.jpg

866 978 888 988 978 899 - 11th of 42

the morale of the story is
SAUCE THE PORK!

because after all, it is a sauce competition.

My computer has a 50G hard drive....memory card 16 G...... I need a new computer and hard drive :cool:

That first pork box looks good to me....obviously not to judges as thats what mine looked like this time with some sauce added :biggrin:.

Second is kinda of a mess.... not even at all. That last one I think looks good if you could have picked more similar looking chunks of meat it would have done better I'd bet.

Back