1st KCBS contest. A walk and a flop!

erichasaces

Take a breath!
My team (Old 99 Meat Co.) went to our first KCBS cookoff this weekend at the Sam's Club local event in Shreveport, LA. The first thing I'd like to say is thank you to all of the other competitors that were super friendly and amazingly helpful. At the cook's meeting we raised our hands saying we were a first time team, and afterwards at least half a dozen teams stopped by our tents to welcome us and offer any help that they could give us.

Two in particular that I want to thank were Sizzlin Bones BBQ from Oklahoma, and Smokin in the Dark down in Silsbee, TX. They were on either side of us, and not only were they both extremely friendly but the ladies from those teams made sure that we built some great looking boxes. We finished with an average appearance score of 8.7, and I can guarantee that wouldn't have happened without their help.

The good news - We got a walk in chicken! Fourth place chicken paid us $150. Our scores on that were 979 988 998 988 999 999 to give us a 171.9772 score.

rvEO8Bdl.jpg

The bad news - Just about everything else. We finished 25th of 29 overall. 19th in ribs, 24th in pork, and 28th in brisket. I knew I messed up the brisket pretty bad, and our smoker burned half of our ribs, so we had a limited selection for turn ins, and we really are still a little clueless as to why our pork didn't do well.

4hNKVYdl.jpg

887 999 865 989 989 978

tDKAjZPl.jpg

977 999 877 878 987 899

MYP5QAkl.jpg

986 876 966 966 988 876

We also got a comment card for our brisket that is a little embarassing: "like shoe leather. WAY too much pepper."

So, the $150 we won for chicken will be used to buy a couple briskets this week so that we can get to work on that. Any advice for a beginner with brisket?

Great job getting a call at your first KCBS contest.

The brisket looks really nice. I'm guessing that it was undercooked if it was "like shoe leather". KCBS brisket isn't a salt/pepper heavy as Texas style brisket, so you might have to tweak your flavor when cooking for those judges.

Still loving the logo!

I know you said that you were not sure what happened with pork, and I sometimes feel that is one of the more difficult categories to really get "right". The tenderness on pork can be tricky until you get a chance to eat a piece of pork that is the correct tenderness, but once you do, you'll know what to aim for, and that will help a lot. Looking at your scores, that is the first place I would start to improve pork.

As for brisket, lots of people use a layered flavor approach for brisket (as most meats), so try adding another flavor to your brisket approach. I've never tried the rub you mentioned, but you may try adding something to compliment it (if it's spicy, try adding savory or a touch of sweet etc), but not overpower since pepper is a strong flavor. Then remember to probe in the flat for feel on when to pull it; do not go based on temperature alone.

Good luck and congrats on your chicken call!!! Chicken is pretty tough, so having a good base there means you'll be rocking along in no time!

Congrats on the call! Our first comp wasn't as fruitful as yours was, but I think we had just as much fun. Can't wait to get this season started!

Thank you guys for the feedback. I even got some private feedback from one of the judges who tasted my brisket, which is extremely valuable. This forum is fantastic for learning, and is definitely helping us get better at a much faster pace than we could do without it.

I went out and bought a prime brisket last night to practice on this weekend. I really want to cook those wagyu briskets, but until I get this down, I figure it's a waste of money.

As far as pork goes, what kind of flavor combinations go well there? We injected with Butcher BBQ Pork Injection mixed as directed. I left that to marinate in a bag for about an hour before we put it on, then I covered it in Money from Big Poppa Smokers. Once it was done I sauced it with a 50/50 mix of au jus and original Blues Hog, and added a light dusting of Happy Ending from BPS. With three 7's in taste, I feel like the judges really didn't like something in this combination. Any advice?

Back