Can it be THAT different???

Qbert60,

After tasting all your submissions and seeing the scores that were turned in, I have to admit that I am a little embarrassed to be considered with those that judged some of your Q so low.

I can assure you that we both gave you our honest opinion and we both felt that some of the judges were absolutely nuts. There is no way that some of the scores should have been so low. You cooked quality products and unfortunately your food was not judged properly by (what I can only guess) was very inexperienced judges.

I would not change a thing and see how the next few contests go with the same flavor profiles.
Dan

Qbert60,

After tasting all your submissions and seeing the scores that were turned in, I have to admit that I am a little embarrassed to be considered with those that judged some of your Q so low.

I can assure you that we both gave you our honest opinion and we both felt that some of the judges were absolutely nuts. There is no way that some of the scores should have been so low. You cooked quality products and unfortunately your food was not judged properly by (what I can only guess) was very inexperienced judges.

I would not change a thing and see how the next few contests go with the same flavor profiles.
Dan

Thanks Dan!

It was my pleasure hosting you guys. I will admit that I was pretty embarrassed at where I finished, but it is what it is. Thank you for all the help. Look forward to seeing you soon!

^^^ +1

Dont change anything until you've had 2 or 3 or more contests, and then when you do change, test your new product side-by-side with your previous recipe. Only then will you know if you're making progress. Otherwise it's a crap-shoot.

If/when you begin making changes:

Chicken - 888 978 787 889 899 878
Ribs - 978 977 988 987 988 989
Pork - 888 857 987 877 766 877
Brisket - 977 999 888 887 877 786

I'll assume this is a KCBS system.

Chicken, presentation could be improved, tenderness not too bad, taste not too bad. Perhaps slight tweaks, but nothing major.

Ribs, you received two 7's on flavor when they gave you 9's in presentation/appearance. We tend to "eat with our eyes", so something in the taste was disappointing to these two folks... Again, not bad scores, but consider a slight tweak.

Pork, obviously work to be done here. You were fairly slammed on taste and tenderness. Was it tough, or perhaps the MM slices were really mushy? Taste; needs works.

Brisket, taste got 1 9, an 8, and then 7's and a 6. I'd focus here on your brisket.

Here is exactly how I turned in my Pork. I cooked one butt just for the money muscle. I pulled it at 195 internal and rested for 5 hours. The other one I cooked through all the way. I slice that one to see if the MM was OK to use, but is was too tender. I sliced the one I pulled off and it was MONEY. not mushy at all. I sliced and sauced it. The rest of the butt was a little dry, so I took the other MM and chopped it up, sauced it and put it in the box. Tasted good. Was that a mistake?

Back