2007 *Exclusive* BBQ Brethren Competition Cooking class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
drbbq said:
I'm doing a class in Detroit in April, but it isn't $150 and you don't get to hang with all the Brethren.
www.drbbq.com

That is great Ray, I am looking at your site right now. Where at in Detroit is this going to be held ?? I need to see if I can fit this into my schedule.

Yeah I wont get to hang with the Brethern, but I can still learn from one of the best!!

parrothead said:
I'm in. What time does this start? I need to arrange travel and all that nonsense. My cooking buddy Bob will more than likely attend.I will check with him tonight and get back with you.

Anyone gonig to be flying this one solo? I would rather team up with someone local and share the meat costs and they can take it home as I will probably be jumping a flight right after.

Parrothead,

As an amateur, I will probably be solo. You are welcome to share my WSM and possibly my 22" kettle. I will buy the meat.

Feel free to PM me to coordinate.

BBQchef33 said:
is that a hint? :)

Well, since thats the way you took it, I think that Dallas/Ft. Worth area would be a good place!!! :cool:

backyardchef said:
Wow, Phil.....what an awesome opportunity! :-o What a bummer that it's the same time as Grillin' on the Bay...:cry: I guess the stars were not aligned this time.....Thanks for putting this thing together. It sounds like it's gonna be a great time.....

That's gonna be some bbq weekend, eh?

Is there anyway the Grillin On the Bay participants could telecommute to the class?:mrgreen: Figure once Nancee and Greg win back their title, we could link in via webcam...

Sounds like an amazing class, Doc! Thanks to you and Phil for bringing it to our neck of the woods.

Spydermike72 said:
That is great Ray, I am looking at your site right now. Where at in Detroit is this going to be held ?? I need to see if I can fit this into my schedule.

Yeah I wont get to hang with the Brethern, but I can still learn from one of the best!!

Nevermind, I looked at the Application for this class and found out the location. It is near Redford for those that are familiiar with Metro Detroit.
Still checking my schedule...

I wish I could make it... but may be able to make the detroit class, if I can arm myself adequately first!

cmcadams said:
I wish I could make it... but may be able to make the detroit class, if I can arm myself adequately first!

Hey Curt, were not that bad in the Detroit area!! Actually I am near Flint, where I think it is worse!! Let me know if you can make this one, I would like to meet a fellow Brother!! I wont know for a week or 2 if I can make this one...

drbbq said:
for this one we're giving you the option of not cooking or sharing to keep the cost down.

....so if you wanted to you could just try to learn from the others cooking and not even cook? is that right?

BBQchef33 said:
is that a hint? :)

I'd go to Dallas ( heck, I'm going to Hillsboro tomorrow)

But I could also pull together a couple places in KCK area that would fit a 20+ member class. :icon_wink

<insert Big Old State of KS picture here> :wink:

I'd like to get in if there's still room. I'll check w/my cooking partner to see if he's interested too.

Last edited:
this is a real treat. Ray thanks for the opportunity, I am just disappointed that I can not attend. Rats

I am in for the cooking class, where.how do I sign up official like?
Where can I find out the details of the judging class you mentioned?

Sean

How many spots are left? I haven't been able to get ahold of my buddy yet to see if he wants in.

Sorry Everyone. I was away most of the day, and couldnt answer all the questions. From the responses we got, it seems we had more responses than spots.. I will compile all the responses tonight and give head counts tomorrow.

Most common question was "where do I pay?".

HERE

Also, paypal charges 3% so $5.00 IS ADDD to cover the service charge.

OR You can just send me a check. PM me for address.

I will go thru the responses and post tomorrow our headcount based on the responses of "Definite". For those that are tentative, figure it out ASAP.

Also, FYI, The KCBS judging class will be in early-mid spring with Grill Kings. This is unconfirmed on the date, but they have told me there WILL be one.

On another note...

Someone sent me a PM today with a review of the class.. it definatley got me psyched up.!

Small review of rays class from bbqblog

I wanted to improve, but could not commit the time for competing more. I heard about the various competition classes that were offered and looked into them. We decided to take Ray Lampe’s (Dr. BBQ) Real Deal class. The one we took was offered early in the season and my real attraction to it was that you cooked overnight, just like a competition. The fact that Ray competes in some of the contests that we consider for our schedule and does very well at them reinforced the decision since he would know what works at those contests. I signed up to cook and my wife attended as a non-cooking spouse.

When we arrived, we were surprised by the number of faces that were familiar from the competition circuit including some teams that I considered successful and experienced. Now it would not be fair to disclose the content of the class but I believe Ray really did reveal what he does for competitions. Despite a 34 degree night with rain wind and a little sleet, the class was fun too. We received many pointers and tips from prep, to cooking technique, to rubs and sauces, to presentation that we put into use. At the very next contest, I got my first two calls in meat. Nothing stellar, but substantially better than we had done before and I give most of the credit to the information I learned in class. I know that one person’s experience does not mean that everyone’s experience will be the same, but I am certain that the class shortened the time it would have taken us to reach this level. Our overall finish was right in the middle - I still went my own way on ribs.

My wife and I agree that the class was worth every dollar that we spent and we recommend Ray’s class to anyone that is interested. Even the experienced teams said that they picked up some worthwhile information from the class. Every issue of the Bullsheet lists cooking classes taught by big name BBQ cooks. I have only taken Ray’s class so I cannot comment from experience about the other classes, but there have been very positive comments about them on the BBQ Forum.

If you can cook with a winning team, it might not be worth your while to take a class since you already have a proven source of information. If you are fortunate enough to do well on your own, you might not want a class. But if you are like me with limited time and/or are not improving in you scoring, a class might be the thing to help break into the next level.

By the way, congratulations if this is an insanely elaborate April Fools joke. If it is, my hat's off to you.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back