$109 Pit Boss 5-Series Vertical Pellet Smoker

I've seen people mention that they would use this primarily as a jerky machine. What temp would you run it at and would you fill the water pan?

Series 4 the same as 5?

So the only one I have seen is a series 4 in lowes for around $350 and from what I can tell for 440 at satins warehouse (Wally World). Anybody know the difference? My Google search was getting no where.

Series 4... shows to have an auto startup and shutdown. I know the 5 does not have this so maybe the 4 has a better controller?
109a661f90c6a36972ad30e7a9cd18f1.jpg
7b04455e055332c92e6c8cf46fe28aa2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Series 5...i thought i read somewhere the 5 had 40,000btu
fb421c47916adeca6333c1413594bb14.jpg
5fbd63b7935890b507b46c785b50d122.jpg

Last edited:
Well poop! When I compared the two on pitbosses website, I swore they had the same measurement and weight. When I looked at the 4, it had enough space on each rack to fit 2 racks a little snuggly. They are slightly different. That 2" difference won't get more ribs for sure. But it is good to know what I would be paying extra for!

If anyone needs a BHC cover a 22" weber kettle cover fits perfectly. I was cooking today on my kettle and had to put the cover somewhere...

Sooo... the shower of pellet dust around the cabinet is normal? I had her turned down to 200F and shut her off to do the burn off thing. I left a pork butt in there and when I came back for it to pull, it was covered in dust. Luckily I had a can of air laying around...

Sooo... the shower of pellet dust around the cabinet is normal? I had her turned down to 200F and shut her off to do the burn off thing. I left a pork butt in there and when I came back for it to pull, it was covered in dust. Luckily I had a can of air laying around...
I don't see how the dust got that high in the cabinet unless you removed the deflector. Also, i thought you were supposed to run at a higher temp to shutdown?

I don't see how the dust got that high in the cabinet unless you removed the deflector. Also, i thought you were supposed to run at a higher temp to shutdown?

the worst thing about pit boss is the start up and shutdown procedure. it does seem to help performance tho

If I remember it calls to crank up the heat to clean the pit and then run at 200 for a bit before going into shutdown.

so who has picked up the barrel house?

I haven't seen $40 but there is one at $90.

is it worth $90?

I'm about to pull my first rack of ribs off of it. Tri tip was great the other day. It was in the 30s outside today though so I had to put extra charcoal in there and it has burned through it pretty fast.

So the only one I have seen is a series 4 in lowes for around $350 and from what I can tell for 440 at satins warehouse (Wally World). Anybody know the difference? My Google search was getting no where.

from my basic understanding Walmart sells exclusive pit boss units made for them

so who has picked up the barrel house?

I haven't seen $40 but there is one at $90.

is it worth $90?
I think it is worth $90. But i would keep it in the box just in case it drops somewhere. I did that with the akorn jr last year and a few days later it dropped. Bought the cheaper one then returned the more expensive one.

I think it is worth $90. But i would keep it in the box just in case it drops somewhere. I did that with the akorn jr last year and a few days later it dropped. Bought the cheaper one then returned the more expensive one.

I'm going hunting. 2 locations show "limited stock"

wouldn't I be able to just take the new in box one i find for $40 and use the $90 receipt to make the exchange?

oh i found 1 on the shelf but it was listed for higher, i think $130?, point is be sure to have an associate scan the item to see what the cost is. dont trust the label, it was the same way with my PB classic. $100 difference from the sticker to actual price.

bought the bhc. review pending

wouldn't I be able to just take the new in box one i find for $40 and use the $90 receipt to make the exchange?

I bought the Copperhead for $350 and opened it up and started using it. When it dropped to $109 I bought another one, left it in the box, and returned it to another store using the $350 receipt. I got the smoker and Walmart got their $109.

Back