Midwest and/or Great Plains Bash anyone?

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Just a thought here, chime in with your thoughts/ideas.

Thinking of either picking a contest this year that would be central to a lot of members in the Midwest and/or Great Plains, with the idea being that it is within reasonable enough travel distance to get a whole fark-load of us together and have some fun.

The main trick is finding who all woudl be interested in such and idea, and then finding the best central location to pull as many together as possible.

One idea that was floated was Murphysboro, IL. That would be great for Midwest, and heck even some Southerners. It may be too far for people from KC though. This is why perhaps if a single central location can't be found, that perhaps there be 2 bashes?

What say you? Are you in? Do you have any good locations to suggest? I am thinking smaller contests may be nice so we can all be closer together and have more fun.

Abilene KS would be a good one for that - Julie really bends over backwards for teams... she would be happy to give a brethren row or two :)

River City Roundup in the fall - Omaha?

Or if we are going to have enough teams/individuals wanting a true comp... - I'd be happy to try to pull one together here in KC some weekend. I could get it sanctioned or go unsanctioned. I have two or three locations that would have power/water/etc in mind.

Of course our fall mid-west bash that we have held at Basswood, and Lawrence's KOA were both a blast. We can expand it as well. the Lawrence KOA loved having us, and were nice to work with. Downside was that cabins were spartan - for those using them. they gave us free run of the pavilion though, so that was a boon for group cooking and general fellowship. Basswood had great facitilities, but they book up early, and want money when you book, which can be a logistical nightmare. But we have Wildwood and other campgrounds available. Or could move it somewhere else.

We would be interested in attending a bash. Would be a great chance to put some faces with names. Anywhere around KC would be great. Seems likes KC or even St. Louis would be a good middle ground for everyone.

I was thinking either KC or St. Louis also. I wanted to get a feel for how many and where they were to pick a spot most central to everyone interested. So far we have KS, MO and OK chiming in, any others?

Timing is not so important right now, at least I don't think so (I've been known to be wrong). I'm thinking figure out what area would be best first, then work on timing. Whatchu think?

Dang Andy! You could just pull together a comp just like that? I don't doubt it, but dang, that's admirable.:cool:

As a non competitor, I'll volunteer to judge. :-D

Here's an idea for location, find out who all wants to do this, then pick a spot in the middle of all of them.

As a non competitor, I'll volunteer to judge. :-D

Here's an idea for location, find out who all wants to do this, then pick a spot in the middle of all of them.

I'm with the Dog on this one. Plan soon enough and I'm probably in.

I would avoid a comp and just make it a bash, unless you want it to be a true comp.
We held a bacsh last April just outside of Des Moines and the location was awesome, we had cabin sites as well as full RV sites. They were talking to BBQ mayor about a comp there, but don't know how far that got.
It would be a central Location for IA, NE MN, IL, ND, KS, and WI. Of course that all depends are where you are in those states.
But plan it and we could be there if it works out.

I was thinking either KC or St. Louis also. I wanted to get a feel for how many and where they were to pick a spot most central to everyone interested. So far we have KS, MO and OK chiming in, any others?

Timing is not so important right now, at least I don't think so (I've been known to be wrong). I'm thinking figure out what area would be best first, then work on timing. Whatchu think?

Dang Andy! You could just pull together a comp just like that? I don't doubt it, but dang, that's admirable.:cool:

The prize money would not be very deep... without time to put together sponsorship.... BUT - how cool would it be to have a sanctioned event that all the brethren showed up to, we had enough folks to make it a qualifer, and got to get some brethren throwdown braggin rights :)

I can get everything together for a contest of 25 teams in 30 days, typically.
IF there are judges available on the given weekend.... I've helped over the years on several KCBS events, I've done golf tournaments, united way events, as long as you dont need a huge prize pot as the draw ( I think the draw for this one would be the fellowship/braggin rights, etc) We'd have a small prize pot, but great times.... and someone gets a GC that counts as a qualifier/invitaitional bid if we had it sanctioned.
AG

We were already cooking that weekend, I believe, but the location sounded great. I think the hardest part is finding a weekend that folks aren't cooking, working, summer vaca with the kids, or whatever... Early Spring or late fall lol

But TK, Dog, and Tom have the idea.... Find out who is interested, The weekend that that largest swath of folks is available, and pick someplace in the middle. I know if we were open we'd be there.

I can tell ya that we had folks from all over the country decend on Lawrence this year.... KS, MO, OK, NE, IA, and I think the Long Distance award went to CrimsonSmoke -ALABAMA!!!!

I would avoid a comp and just make it a bash, unless you want it to be a true comp.
We held a bacsh last April just outside of Des Moines and the location was awesome, we had cabin sites as well as full RV sites. They were talking to BBQ mayor about a comp there, but don't know how far that got.
It would be a central Location for IA, NE MN, IL, ND, KS, and WI. Of course that all depends are where you are in those states.
But plan it and we could be there if it works out.

Find out who is interested, The weekend that that largest swath of folks is available, and pick someplace in the middle.
Sounds like a great plan.

All who are interested, please indicate so by chiming in that you would be up for this and what weekends you would be available for such an event.

The prize money would not be very deep... without time to put together sponsorship.... BUT - how cool would it be to have a sanctioned event that all the brethren showed up to, we had enough folks to make it a qualifer, and got to get some brethren throwdown braggin rights :)

I can get everything together for a contest of 25 teams in 30 days, typically.
IF there are judges available on the given weekend.... I've helped over the years on several KCBS events, I've done golf tournaments, united way events, as long as you dont need a huge prize pot as the draw ( I think the draw for this one would be the fellowship/braggin rights, etc) We'd have a small prize pot, but great times.... and someone gets a GC that counts as a qualifier/invitaitional bid if we had it sanctioned.
AG

If I had the weekend open, could borrow a cooker, and maybe convince a certain guy from NY to make the trip....I'd like to cook.

Having never competed, I'd haul wood, pour brown liquor, and generally have a great time!

Call dibs all you want....I'll just bribe him.

Back