2008 Winter Burn Off Des Plains Illinois..2/10

tonto1117

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone is planning on this one or competed in last's years.......whatcha think Bubba and Crewe?? Make it a early start???

Found this on the Illionois BBQ Society Site :

2008 Winter Burn-Off...Mark Your Calendars
The date is finally set. The 2008 Winter Burn-Off, in Des Plaines, is going to happen on Sunday, February 10th at the River Rand Bowling Alley. They had 18 teams last year, already have their Illinois Proclamation from the Governor, and will be shooting to make this fun contest a Jack Daniels Invitational Qualifier.
According to contest organizer Keith Engstrom (KRE Smokers), they are looking for certified judges and will again be using this cook friendly contest as a fundraiser for Albinism.
"So bowling, beer and cooking what more could anyone want?" - Keith Engstrom
To sign up for this contest (cooks and/or judges) contact Keith at
rekengstr@ameritech.net .

Last edited:
So ya wanna go to Illinois and pick on the "A-team" again???? :wink:
It would be nice to get that Jack invite outta the way early this year!!:cool:

So ya wanna go to Illinois and pick on the "A-team" again???? :wink:
It would be nice to get that Jack invite outta the way early this year!!:cool:

LOL...That's what I love about ya Bubba...if were gonna dream, we might as well dream big...:wink::mrgreen::mrgreen:

We may have the entire A-Team there, as we had some plans for an annual meeting for that Saturday. The good news, we would all be tired. But we all work good under pressure...

We may have the entire A-Team there, as we had some plans for an annual meeting for that Saturday. The good news, we would all be tired. But we all work good under pressure...

:eusa_clap:icon_smil:eusa_clap:icon_smil...OK, as long as ya'll promise to be really tired...lol. Hey maybe we can get some shigging in...:shock::shock::mrgreen:

Thinking hard about this one, should have my PCC seasoned and ready to go........

It'll be a good one...

I cooked it last year...had a great time, met a lot of good people, and didn't freeze too badly. :)

Just to make sure you know...It is NOT a KCBS event. It IS a State Championship, they're working to make it a Jack Qualifier, and will have a lot of heavy hitters both cooking and judging.

Although I probably won't be able to make the contest this year (my bride and I will be celebrating our anniversary on that date), I would HIGHLY recommend doing it. If you're considering...sign-up early...space in the parking lot will be limited.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim Rhino

I cooked it last year...had a great time, met a lot of good people, and didn't freeze too badly. :)

Just to make sure you know...It is NOT a KCBS event. It IS a State Championship, they're working to make it a Jack Qualifier, and will have a lot of heavy hitters both cooking and judging.

Although I probably won't be able to make the contest this year (my bride and I will be celebrating our anniversary on that date), I would HIGHLY recommend doing it. If you're considering...sign-up early...space in the parking lot will be limited.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim Rhino

Hi Jim, thanks for the heads up about the "Not a KCBS event". I edited my first post in which I stated I thought it was. Me bad....still sounds like a fun but cold time!!!

Hi Jim, thanks for the heads up about the "Not a KCBS event". I edited my first post in which I stated I thought it was. Me bad....still sounds like a fun but cold time!!!

I think the windchill last year was around -19, but was a beautiful, sunny day! I had on several layers, but didn't have to wear the coveralls I took...turned out to be a very nice day.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim

I'm still thinking about cooking this one solo. That day is my birthday and if I can get everyone to agree to let me win as a birthday present then I'll definitely cook :rolleyes:

Seriously, I would love to cook this one. I've tried to make it the last two years but ran into obstacles both times. This year it depends on what the family has in store for me :-D

It's your day...

Just tell the family you'd like do the Burn-Off for your birthday and see if it works. ;)

You wont be tired enough for me!

Ill be judging..wondering if any of the Brethren have decided to cook in this?

Were gonna head over and judge.To cold to cook for my blood, plus the coach is winterized and it's to soon to pull it out. See ya'll there.

Big sissy's... I mean, I'll at least be out in my heated RV... 8)

See you up there...

Scottie

Big sissy's... I mean, I'll at least be out in my heated RV... 8)

See you up there...

Scottie
call it what you will Scottie..you know me .. im freezing at the end of august!!!:grin:

Yep, I'm a big sissy:grin:. If it's anything like the weather is here today(-15 to -20 with windchill) I pity the poor soul who doesn't have a heated RV.:eusa_clap

Were planning on heading up on Sat and staying in Rosemont. Any good restaurant suggestions besides the hotel??

Thanks

There's a bunch of the good steak places up in Rosemont. Cause it's close to O'Hare... If you want specifics, let me know... Or what you will be in the mood for...

Scottie

Back