Deeper Into The Abyss- It’s Dark in here

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
... but the aroma is killer. Pellets, the immediate clean aroma of pellets. I’ve wondered aimlessly since my Ozark Oak lump left the building. I don’t have a briquettes cooker set up, though Ive got several in storage. If you were lucky you used or tried Ozark Oak. It wasn’t cheap at $1+#, but that was a fair price for a consistent quality lump. Top Shelf. I’m always trying new coals. Now Im trying different pellets. Sales mostly. I don’t mind blended woods. I’ve got a friend with three pellet cookers and he swears by Traeger. That’s one I’ve not tried.

Dark and cold. But dammit it smells good.

But you are not alone! I think everyone has a pellet cooker by now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Couldn’t agree more! The smell of pellet smoke is other-worldly/intoxicating/therapeutic — there is nothing else like it :)

Yep, and I've found the Pit Boss comp blend are particularly tasty smelling. I've been told the blend is Maple/Hickory/Cherry. ~$14 for 40 lbs is a heck of a deal from your local walmart. If you haven't tried them, they're definitely worth a shot. My second choice is B&B from Academy, but I think either Lowes/HD may carry them? They're rebranded BBQ'r Delight pellets. Base wood is Oak and is a 70%/30% blend to the flavorwood.

I would like to get some 100% Pecan and 100% Mesquite, but the 100% versions are usually more $$ than I'd like. I'd love it if someone would do a 66/33 Pecan/Mesquite blend. I almost considered buying a pellet mill as I have a lot of Pecan but they are even more $$$ than the pellets, haha.

I fell deep down the hole myself. I was a dedicated wood burner 12 months ago. splitting, stacking, feed the fire. the drum started all, as long as I fed it quality lump the difference was minimal. then this pellet craze started. traeger is a force on Instagram. guerrilla marketing. the food off these things looks awesome, great color.

fast forward a year and life is different. there has been life, death and illness. time has become a commodity. I like to bbq with all wood. the clean taste of a stick burner. pellets are all wood too and is actually about the same profile I get burning splits.

every winter I setup a cooker as close to the front door as possible. a little white trashy but it's nice to tend a cooker from the threshold of the front door. this year its gonna be the traeger. Bruno hates the the thing

haha - I look at the grease buckets hanging off of those things and start to wonder how I could rig a couple of mousetraps to the side of the bucket to dissuade one of my dogs from constantly trying to get at the drippings.

haha - I look at the grease buckets hanging off of those things and start to wonder how I could rig a couple of mousetraps to the side of the bucket to dissuade one of my dogs from constantly trying to get at the drippings.

I posed the question in a thread a few weeks ago.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264316

seems not much can be done. the pup is short due to his being half French bulldog, his head comes just to my knees and just short of reaching the bucket on the traeger. he frequently raised the bucket on the offset

Or three.

Perhaps there are still enough of us holdouts to properly shun these folks moving to the dark side....chasing their easy smoke...comparing the smell profiles of their pre-chewed wood... and all while sitting with idle hands....

Evil I say! Nothing is sacred anymore... I weep for the future, etc.

sooo.....watcha cookin? :biggrin1:

I started with a Traeger. Nothing but problems with the unit, although the food was good I didn’t like the smoke profile and always chased it with additional tube smokers.

When it worked it was easy as an oven. I was partial to cookinpellets.com and still use the perfect mix to cold smoke.

I much prefer the process and the taste from the Lang. Think I’ll be sticking with a stckburner.

Yep, and I've found the Pit Boss comp blend are particularly tasty smelling. I've been told the blend is Maple/Hickory/Cherry. ~$14 for 40 lbs is a heck of a deal from your local walmart. If you haven't tried them, they're definitely worth a shot. My second choice is B&B from Academy, but I think either Lowes/HD may carry them? They're rebranded BBQ'r Delight pellets. Base wood is Oak and is a 70%/30% blend to the flavorwood.

I would like to get some 100% Pecan and 100% Mesquite, but the 100% versions are usually more $$ than I'd like. I'd love it if someone would do a 66/33 Pecan/Mesquite blend. I almost considered buying a pellet mill as I have a lot of Pecan but they are even more $$$ than the pellets, haha.

I saw the pit boss competition blend at wally's today. picked up 40 lbs for $14. picked up a bag of b & b lump to try out too, about the same price for a 20 lbs bag. if the pellets burn at about a lbs per hour that's fair enough fuel mileage for me.

it did seem like my temps were in a more tolerable range with the pit boss pellets compared to the traeger pellets I've been using.

just when I thought I was out they pull me back in

pit boss, 700 sq ft of real estate, sear zone......$200

Just an fyi in case anyone cares. I believe Traeger uses Alder or Oak and uses flavor oils to create the Hickory, Mesquite and other flavors of Pellets. As far as I know they are the only ones who do that.

I've never tried their pellets so can't say anything on the performance, nor will I try them because of that and because everywhere I see them sold they are expensive.

Just throwing that out there, I know us pellet users take grief for using pellets, just don't want you to think your using Hickory wood when your really not!

You'll end up being stripped and doing the walk of shame like Cersei in Game of Thrones!:oops:

Back